gpkgto

Oct 3, 2009, 12:36 PM

Post #26 of 62 (4619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Monterrey Help Please

Can't Post | Private Reply
"She must be a liar AND a whore."

Nice way to talk about your girlfriend!

Obviously not every woman in such a bar is "working"--but those that are do not order beers. This is a worldwide practice--I almost got stuck for fake "champagne cocktails" in Tangiers once.

Peter

Oct 3, 2009, 1:02 PM

Post #27 of 62 (4617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Monterrey Help Please

In Reply To

In Reply To
Maybe it´s just me, but why would a man want the company of a woman who's paying attention to him because she's getting a commission for the drinks he´s buying for her? I´m speaking from a woman's point-of-view, of course. No doubt, Peter (and other men on this thread) might have another way of looking at it!

The first time my buddies here took me to such a place I was somewhat appalled, though that softened a bit after a couple beers. I noticed that along with the obvious career-type professional bar ladies, that didn't appeal to me one jot, that there seemed to be others that looked more like the girl next-door. It was confirmed that some of the help did not intend to make this their life's work but were simply hired as waitresses, though knowing full well what the job entailed and that they were not employed as prostitutes, and hoped something or someone more promising would come along soon.

Some months later it became more obvious that with my poor Spanish and advancing age I was somewhat socially challenged here. Church socials were not my thing nor dance clubs for that matter, seeing how most patrons of those establishments were a good thirty years or more younger than myself. I realized I was not seeking nightlife entertainment but instead sought casual companionship that would like to accompany me on my more frequent daytime excursions, for lunch, an occasional trip, or whatnot, someone with free time like myself that was just looking to have an enjoyable day now and then.

As I had no aversion to helping out the local economy and remembered some of the girls I saw in these cantina/botaneros (that apparently do not exist). Also knowing I may have to screen my prospects I decided to buckle down to the laborious task of going out in the afternoons to down countless cervesas, stuff myself with innumerable botanas, and chat-up god-knows-how-many young ladies to find an acceptable travel companion. I knew it would be difficult but knew also it had to be done. It was a bit pricey when I made it a full-time pursuit but a lot less than I spent as a tourist, and the results turned out to be worth the cost.

Even after finding a number of suitable candidates I continued my research. By then I found I had acquired a taste for tender, young veal as opposed to the often tough, stringy beef more commonly found in the colonias.

La Isla

Oct 3, 2009, 2:55 PM

Post #28 of 62 (4599 views)

Shortcut

You know, Peter, while reading your explanation of why and how you found a suitable female companion a a botanero in Morelia, I found myself feeling a certain sympathy for your situation, that of an aging gringo with little Spanish who was looking for a female friend. But was it absolutely necessary to call older women "tough stringy beef"? I am a proud older woman (64 this past July), and I´ve run into a few younger men (around your age and younger) in Mexico who've not been put off by my age and have in fact been attracted by it!

wendy devlin

Oct 3, 2009, 3:08 PM

Post #29 of 62 (4597 views)

Shortcut

Finding this thread of some interest.

So far, people are chatting about quite organized drinking establishments and what or what might not be the rules of engagement. Waiting for someone to chat candidly about the wide range of other options.

No. It won't be me. Still in the research stage.

Peter

Oct 3, 2009, 5:33 PM

Post #30 of 62 (4570 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I am a proud older woman (64 this past July), and I´ve run into a few younger men (around your age and younger) in Mexico who've not been put off by my age and have in fact been attracted by it!

As I am sure would I. I am really not that far behind you. When it comes right down to it age is not the important thing, but for me that quality of curiosity I mentioned earlier in the thread is highly sought. And my girlfriend was not the newest model on the showroom for either, there is a lot to be said for maturity when selecting a good companion. The comment was meant as my little joke. I appreciate a good appetizer but I showed up for the main course. Of course too many botanas can spoil your appetite.

Peter

Oct 3, 2009, 6:04 PM

Post #31 of 62 (4557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Monterrey Help Please

In Reply To
Finding this thread of some interest.

So far, people are chatting about quite organized drinking establishments and what or what might not be the rules of engagement. Waiting for someone to chat candidly about the wide range of other options.

No. It won't be me. Still in the research stage.

I know at least one person that would like me to vacate permanently the research phase, but I am curious too. I would like to hear more strategy and what efforts to expend in these 'high road' pursuits. I gave a fairly detailed account of my efforts, sparing everyone the blow-by-blow action from down in the trenches. Pardon. But I'd like to hear about the real world, the one everyone alludes to but no one seems to talk about. I like stories about grand ballrooms and glass slippers.

La Isla

Oct 3, 2009, 6:13 PM

Post #32 of 62 (4548 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for that nice response to my somewhat testy post. It looks like you let your fondness for metaphors get the best of you!

Peter

Oct 3, 2009, 6:30 PM

Post #33 of 62 (4543 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for that nice response to my somewhat testy post. It looks like you let your fondness for metaphors get the best of you!

I would enjoy sporting a class act now and then, if only I knew one.

La Isla

Oct 3, 2009, 9:32 PM

Post #34 of 62 (4514 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would enjoy sporting a class act now and then, if only I knew one.

I have the feeling that there is one inside you, just lurking beneath the surface (: .

Georgia

Oct 8, 2009, 6:37 AM

Post #35 of 62 (4446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [monterreymx] Monterrey Help Please

You don't say how long you plan to stay in Monterrey, but depending on the length of time, it might be a cheaper option for your car to simply keep it in a storage unit rather than a parking garage or lot. Safer. Cheaper.

Zarcero

Oct 12, 2009, 7:40 AM

Post #36 of 62 (4359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [monterreymx] Monterrey Help Please

Hi monterreymx,

This thread cracks me up. Costa Rican guy here, but I live in Houston. Wow! Dude, you sure know a lot about Costa Rica.

A lot of us who ride motorcycles down into Mexico will often trailer the bike to the border or put it in the back of a pick-up truck. Many of the guys will park the car or pick-up, on the US side, at the airport and pay the parking fee. Some guys leave the pick-up truck or the car (w/foldable trailer that goes in the trunk) at a local hotel. You can do that for free, but if your car is there too long, it may get towed. Ante up for a fee of $10 per night is not unreasonable, though the airport parking will be cheaper. In my case, I just ride the bike to the border and then go right on through.

As for your chicas search, all I can say is that in my 52 years I have noticed that los mujeriegos talentosos nunca piden consejo.

So like when you start engaging that nice chica with your best James Bond persona, and she asks you how you got to Monterrey, will you tell her you took the bus?

Saludos,

Mike

sandykayak

Oct 13, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #37 of 62 (4292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Monterrey Help Please

I'm finding this conversation particularly amusing because today's (Oct. 13) Miami Herald had a pretty long article on Costa Rica's sex tourism trade and mentioned two establishments in particular. I had to call my ex-husband who, at the time we went there, lived in Key Largo so naturally we went into a bar called Key Largo.

It was ab 3 or 4 in the afternoon and we sat at the bar and ordered a couple of beers. Then we noticed the photos of the girls on the menu. He quickly told me what the deal was. We finished our beers - one gal came up to talk to us (thinking we wanted a threesome perhaps?) - and left.

This male perspective is fascinating. I suppose the OP isn't interested in finding out info about university (ies?) in Monterrey and trying to see if there are any social events he could attend? Where is Intercasa when we need advice? He's on chapala.com. I've met a couple of his Mexican lady friends. Nice gals - not sure how he meets them.

I met a 50-something guy at a campground in Florida. He was kissy-cuddling this obviously much younger hispanic gal in the pool/lake/spring. We started chatting and he told us that he met her on an online site where Mexican gals posted that they wanted to meet Americans. I believe he went a couple of times to meet someone he had chatted with. On the second one he met this gal and married her. He told us he wasn't wealthy but to her he was rich. she had worked in a shoe factory and had not even had hot water in her house.

Another guy friend met a highly-educated professional woman from Zacatecas. He met her online, so I would suggest that would be a good way to have some female company lined up. I don't know of any sites but would imagine that you could start with yahoo in mexico.

Do remember to tell us how the trip went.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

gpkgto

Oct 13, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #38 of 62 (4289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Monterrey Help Please

"...los mujeriegos talentosos nunca piden consejo."

Exactamente!

La Isla

Oct 13, 2009, 6:44 PM

Post #39 of 62 (4274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Monterrey Help Please

In Reply To
"...los mujeriegos talentosos nunca piden consejo."

Exactamente!

From a woman's point of view, it's not the
mujeriegos who make the best boyfriends!

La Isla

Oct 13, 2009, 8:09 PM

Post #40 of 62 (4258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Monterrey Help Please

In Reply To

Another guy friend met a highly-educated professional woman from Zacatecas. He met her online, so I would suggest that would be a good way to have some female company lined up. I don't know of any sites but would imagine that you could start with yahoo in mexico.

You could try www.match.com.mx to try to meet someone online before you get to Monterrey. There is a fee, but if you pay for just one month, it's not too pricey. A year or so ago one of my students, a guy in his late thirties, met the love of his life, and they are now married with a baby on the way!

gpkgto

Oct 14, 2009, 5:25 AM

Post #41 of 62 (4219 views)

Shortcut

I don't think mujeriegos are looking for girlfriends--just conquests.

Zarcero

Oct 14, 2009, 6:45 AM

Post #42 of 62 (4204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Monterrey Help Please

“it's not the mujeriegos who make the best boyfriends!” I disagree. They in fact are boyfriends of the highest caliber, and maybe even husbands. The good ones will have the women in pangs long after these guys have moved on. Do a search on Porfirio Rubirosa. What a way go…wrapped his Ferrari around a tree on a Parisian boulevard.

“Exactamente!” Ni revelan sus secretos. Ni la táctica.

“I don't think mujeriegos are looking for girlfriends--just conquests.” I think it depends. So I hear. Dunno.

La Isla

Oct 14, 2009, 8:58 AM

Post #43 of 62 (4175 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
“it's not the mujeriegos who make the best boyfriends!” I disagree. They in fact are boyfriends of the highest caliber, and maybe even husbands. The good ones will have the women in pangs long after these guys have moved on.

How would you know what sort of boyfriends
mujeriegos make? The main thing about them is that they will move on once they've gotten what they want. The only pangs they leave most women in are the pangs of remorse for having gotten involved with them in the first place!

Zarcero

Oct 14, 2009, 9:32 AM

Post #44 of 62 (4166 views)

Shortcut

I guess it depends on the mujeriego. Like I said, dunno <wink>, but this is a fun thread <smile>.

La Isla

Oct 14, 2009, 9:50 AM

Post #45 of 62 (4157 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I guess it depends on the mujeriego. Like I said, dunno <wink>, but this is a fun thread <smile>.

And I guess it depends on how you define mujeriego. How would you define the word?

Zarcero

Oct 14, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #46 of 62 (4147 views)

Shortcut

"And I guess it depends on how you define mujeriego. How would you define the word?"

Nothing complex there, it's mean womanizer. Not meaning to get complicated here, I mean there are good thieves and bad thieves, doesn't mean that one necessarily approves of thievery when discussing the quality of various thieves.

Let's see to put it in context for you since you like mystery novels, if you have read any Leslie Charteris, then I would opine that the protagonist of his novels is a skilled womanizer, whereas someone like Bill Clinton would be a womanizer at the lower end of the spectrum <giggle>.

Cheers,

Mike

La Isla

Oct 14, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #47 of 62 (4130 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for refining your admiration of successful womanizers, Zarcero (by the way, what was your inspiration for your MexConnect moniker?).

I do like mystery novels but haven't read any by Leslie Charteris. My favorite mystery writers are the classic British ones, like Dorothy Sayers and P.D. James. Could Lord Peter Wimsey be considered a mujeriego for his time and place? Certainly Adam Dalgliesh could not.

MO

Zarcero

Oct 14, 2009, 11:46 AM

Post #48 of 62 (4122 views)

Shortcut

"Zarcero (by the way, what was your inspiration for your MexConnect moniker?)"

I am a dual-national US/Costa Rica. Zarcero is my favorite little town in Costa Rica. It is up in the mountains. It is famous for the topiary in front of the cathedral and the wood carvings that form the interior of the cathedral. It's a very unique place.

Very interesting that you bring up Peter Wimsey, especially if you compare him to Charteris' character of Simon Templar. Leslie Charteris was kinda British. Born in Singapore, part British, part Chinese, later settled in the US, as he was not really accepted in London. Templar is kinda the antithesis of Wimsey. Templar being an orphan, and Wimsey being from an aristocratic lineage. Both are rich, Wimsey by family, Templar by means that are only hinted at, both womanizers. Both writers are also from the same point in time. Hmmm. We could psycho-analyze this forever.

In any case, there are three characters I used to model my 1-man businees, two fictional, one real-life. Templar of course being one of the fictional ones.

Saludos,

Mike

(This post was edited by Zarcero on Oct 14, 2009, 11:47 AM)

esperanza

Oct 14, 2009, 11:51 AM

Post #49 of 62 (4112 views)

Shortcut

Not to mention Bond, James Bond--now there is a mujeriego!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

wendy devlin

Oct 14, 2009, 4:23 PM

Post #50 of 62 (4083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Monterrey Help Please

Simon Templar? Now there's a blast from the past.

Be still, my teenage heart.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4