Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Ustlach

Oct 6, 2009, 1:23 PM

Post #1 of 4 (8269 views)

Shortcut

US Auto Insurance for Mexican Plated Vehicles driven by NorteAmericanos

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am posting my question here on the Northern Mexico forum thinking there is a greater likelihood of someone in this area having my answer rather than those living in the Lake Chapala area and other areas of Central Mexico where so many MexConnect participants seem to live. They are not likely to have the answer nor the necessary experiences.

I hope there is someone among you who is:

1. a US citizen living legally in Mexico with an FM2 or FM3 visa,
2. who has a relatively new (up to five years old) Mexican plated vehicle, with a lien (still paying for it in Mexico),
3. driving it with a valid Mexican driver's license issued by the same Mexican state that issued your car tags/plates,
4. who insures this vehicle in Mexico through a reputable Mexican auto insurance company,
5. who has driven this vehicle NoB, into the USA, having purchased, in Mexico/near the border, some kind of insurance, liability only/full-coverage, to insure the vehicle in the USA against accidents, at a minimum, or possibly more, with some sort of full coverage, (I am not even sure full-coverage is available, so if this complicates matters, just consider basic, liability insurance only),
6. who subsequently has been involved in an accident NoB and
7. who was then able to get the matter resolved, via the insurance purchased, with satisfactory success.

If you are such a person, I would like to know that such a person exists, and if possible, where/when/how you purchased the insurance to cover your Mexican vehicle in the USA.

I go to Tucson frequently with my Mexican partner, in his Mexican car, with his Mexican plates and his Mexican DL. He stops and buys insurance for the USA, as do many, many other Mexicans. He has never had an accident or a claim. So we don't know if the insurance is any good or not. But he always has to show his Mexican voter's registration card...there is some other name for it, but it is the ID that Mexicans always show and that is universally accepted in Mexico.

I have heard that that insurance is only available to Mexicans. That having an FM2 or FM3 visa is not sufficient. And having a Mexican plated vehicle, or a Mexican DL brings no benefit.

So, how do we Americans from the United States get valid insurance good in the USA for our Mexican cars?

If you meet the seven conditions/pre-requisites above, I would love to hear from you.

(This post was edited by Ustlach on Oct 6, 2009, 1:44 PM)

mazbook1

Oct 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

Post #2 of 4 (8243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] US Auto Insurance for Mexican Plated Vehicles driven by NorteAmericanos

Can't answer a lot of your questions, as I have never had an accident or other loss in the U.S. with a Mexican registered car.

I can answer the question about buying the insurance, though. ANY foreigner driving a Mexican registered car (even a rental) can buy insurance for the time they are in the U.S. by showing their current FM3 or FM2. Been there, done that.

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 6, 2009, 8:10 PM

Post #3 of 4 (8222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] US Auto Insurance for Mexican Plated Vehicles driven by NorteAmericanos

I also know foreigners here who have a Sinaloa plated vehicle, Sinaloa DL, and go north every year for several months, crossing through several US states and as well have visited Canada, in said vehicle. I know these folks well, and know they would not undertake such a journey without doing their homework on the insurance coverage.

Ustlach

Jan 11, 2010, 9:39 AM

Post #4 of 4 (7781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] US Auto Insurance for Mexican Plated Vehicles driven by NorteAmericanos

Can you be more specific? Where do you find such insurance to buy?

When you say "any foreigner" what do you mean? Since I want insurance to cover me in the USA and I am an American citizen with an American DL, I would not be a foreigner, would I? I am a foreigner in Mexico, but this situation has nothing to do with Mexico, other than the car is tagged and registered in Mexico.

The situation is this: the car belongs to my partner. He owns it. It has Sonora license plates and registration. He can buy insurance to cover HIM while driving in the USA, but he is unwilling to drive in the USA and wants me to do the driving. The insurance he buys for himself apparently does not cover me, even though they have added my name and American DL number to his policy as a second driver. It states clearly in bold red print on the front of the policy that the policy is not valid for non-Mexican drivers.

I need insurance I can buy to cover me driving his car in the USA. I do not have a Mexican DL but I do have an FM2 visa.

Thanks for your help.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4