mes1952

Oct 4, 2009, 8:35 PM

Post #1 of 22 (8853 views)

Shortcut

Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
Hi everyone!
I just joined the forum today.
I'm a 57 year old single, white female currently living in the Portland, OR area and originally from Texas.
I'm interested in meeting progressive minded people who are considering a move to Guadalajara in 2010 with the goal of forming a closely knit neighborhood cooperative in Guadalajara where we have a good social system, saving money by pooling resources and live a better life than what's available in the U.S.
Like me, you've traveled extensively and consider yourself a citizen of the world.
I've traveled extensively in Mexico and have had a desire to emigrate to Mexico for the past 5 years. Now that the U.S. is in complete chaos and decline, I've decided this is the time to follow my next dream! Anyway, who wants to wait around for 5 years for the U.S. economy to recover, if it ever does!

(This post was edited by mes1952 on Oct 4, 2009, 8:36 PM)

richmx2

Oct 4, 2009, 11:54 PM

Post #2 of 22 (8814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mes1952] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
In general, Americans have not looked for Mexico in Mexico; they have looked for their obsessions, enthusiasms, phobias, hopes, interests -- and these are what they have found. In short, the history of our relationship is the history of a mutual and stubborn deceit.

(Octavio Paz, 1979)

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

gpkgto

Oct 5, 2009, 6:07 AM

Post #3 of 22 (8788 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There apparently is a group like the one you seek in Erongaricuaro, Michoacan (near Patzcuaro and Morelia). I think a search will locate it. Good luck.

gsherwin

Oct 5, 2009, 9:31 AM

Post #4 of 22 (8742 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am a 57 gay male currently living in Palm Springs CA and originally from Colorado. I am not single since I blundered into a Tapatio lover during my last extended stay in GDL. Currently I am a college professor teaching teachers to teach children/youth with special needs for CSUSB. I will put the condo in the Great Sand Trap on the market at the end of this school year (June 2010) and move to GDL as soon as the little bugger sells. Not sure how you define progressive but I suspect I fit the bill. Neighborhood cooperative could be difficult since I have the notion I will settle in town central. However a social system seems like a good idea to me. Keep me posted as to how it progresses.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Sea usted mismo, los demás ya está tomada.
Oscar Wilde

mes1952

Oct 5, 2009, 9:41 AM

Post #5 of 22 (8730 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I forget to mention: I need to be in the city of Guadalajara as I am NOT RETIRED and SINGLE so have no desire to live in the expensive (and boring) American enclaves/compounds.
I'm seeking people like myself who are progressive minded, environmentalists and don't subscribe to the American mentality of materialism and consumerism...that is exactly what I plan to avoid by getting out of the U.S.

Vichil

Oct 5, 2009, 10:30 AM

Post #6 of 22 (8709 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Guadalajara is not what I would call a "green city". I think it is way up there for polution with DF. The papers say it overtook DF.
As far as materialism and consumerism the upper class Mexicans are way up there too, you may have picked on the wrong city or may be the wrong country.

esperanza

Oct 5, 2009, 10:30 AM

Post #7 of 22 (8709 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There's plenty of Mexican materialism and consumerism to be had in Guadalajara, trust me. It sounds like you won't be hanging out at any of the huge malls in the city, though. Nevertheless, materialism and consumerism will be hard to avoid. Imports from Mexico's neighbor to the north aren't restricted to goods: cultural imperialism is at every hand.

There isn't really a cohesive foreign community in Guadalajara, and there's certainly no "expensive (and boring) American enclave". Unlike the English-speaking retired residents in San Miguel de Allende and the Lake Chapala area, most foreigners in Guadalajara are working people and speak many more languages than English.

Like an earlier poster, I'd recommend that you investigate the environmentalist, progressive community based in Erongarícuaro, Michoacán. Of course, Erongarícuaro is way, way off the beaten path. You may more easily find the style community you want outside a major city, and the community in Erongarícuaro is already in formation.

And I'm curious: if you're not retired, how will you support yourself in Mexico, and how will you prove eligibility for the type visa you'll need to live here? Some people are able to do that by working on line, although the Mexican government has begun cracking down on that.

Suerte!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mes1952

Oct 5, 2009, 12:49 PM

Post #8 of 22 (8666 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
My reason for the post was to find other like minded people who are interested or contemplating a move to Guadalajara (not other areas) who are not in the retiree mode with a pension and/or spouse to support them rather than discussing the pros and cons of moving to Mexico. There are already plenty of those postings for readers so I don't need to spend time with that discussion.

(This post was edited by mes1952 on Oct 5, 2009, 12:51 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 5, 2009, 1:04 PM

Post #9 of 22 (8660 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
OK, mes. I removed my post out of respect for your intent but boy are you in for a surprise.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 5, 2009, 1:07 PM)

Vichil

Oct 5, 2009, 1:42 PM

Post #10 of 22 (8641 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
So in short you do not want to move to a boring American enclave but you are trying to start your own different type of boring American enclave.
Shouldn´t your post be in Spanish to eliminate right from the beginning the ugly and boring American culture and accent?

esperanza

Oct 5, 2009, 2:50 PM

Post #11 of 22 (8621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
Now hold on, gang.

Our new friend mes1952 is looking for her own brand of happiness and her own style living arrangement, just like the rest of us. If she's been to Guadalajara to scope things out, then she knows the city and knows that it's really smoggy, particularly during the dry season, and she has made it very clear that Guadalajara is the place she chooses.

Mes1952, if you'd like to have any input about areas of Guadalajara that are greener than other areas--in terms of your search for ecologically-minded companions--let me know and I'll tell you about some of the colonias. Others who either live or have lived in Guadalajara can offer the same kind of input.

mes1952

Oct 5, 2009, 2:50 PM

Post #12 of 22 (8621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
My reason for the post was to find other like minded people who are interested or contemplating a move to Guadalajara (not other areas) who are not in the retiree mode with a pension and/or spouse to support them rather than discussing the pros and cons of moving to Mexico. There are already plenty of those postings for readers so I don't need to spend time with that discussion. I'm not asking for advice.

gsherwin

Oct 5, 2009, 3:16 PM

Post #13 of 22 (8605 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Given your most recent posting, I suppose I should withdraw my interest since I am in the “retiree mode” and therefore apparently lack any similar interests or concerns although I will be moving to Guadalajara - I would not want to waste your time. Good luck with your move.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Sea usted mismo, los demás ya está tomada.
Oscar Wilde

bournemouth

Oct 5, 2009, 3:20 PM

Post #14 of 22 (8599 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have the feeling you may find it hard to find like minded souls - but I do wish you luck in what you want to do.

ken_in_dfw

Oct 5, 2009, 3:30 PM

Post #15 of 22 (8597 views)

Shortcut

|
Hi mes1952,

You probably didn't realize when you posted your ad, but MexConnect is a discussion forum, where people discuss topics pertaining to Mexico. If you're simply trying to notify like-minded folks of your intent and see if you can make some connection, you'd probably have better luck posting your ad to the expatforum.com classifieds or even the Guadalajara craigslist.

On the other hand, if you do have questions about moving to Guadalajara, what life is like there, or where you can possibly meet like-minded folks when you get there, you couldn't find a more experienced, insightful and genuinely nice group of folks than here on MexConnect. I hope you'll keep an open mind and stick around.

Cheers,
Ken

mes1952

Oct 5, 2009, 3:38 PM

Post #16 of 22 (8587 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
I'm wondering why I need to receive all the postings I have even though only one of them pertained to my posting??
With all the postings across this forum, it would seem like those who do not have anything to share with what I am seeking would instead focus their time and efforts responding to those who need specific information.
The assumption seems to be made that, despite what my posting indicated, I am receiving responses that have nothing to do with my posting. It seems everyone feels the need to advise everyone who posts regardless of the relevancy of the topic. The overwhelming majority of people on this board are living in Mexico AND retired...I am not so I'm confused as to why I would be receiving responses from those who are not in the same situation as I?

bournemouth

Oct 5, 2009, 3:49 PM

Post #17 of 22 (8578 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think that this forum just is not the one for you - I do hope you find one that will bring you in contact with others who share your ideas.

morgaine7

Oct 5, 2009, 3:58 PM

Post #18 of 22 (8569 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

The overwhelming majority of people on this board are living in Mexico AND retired...I am not so I'm confused as to why I would be receiving responses from those who are not in the same situation as I?

You just answered your own question.
It wasn't clear from your first posts that your only purpose in joining MexConnect was to find people to share in your moving and living arrangements. As Ken said, it's a discussion forum. For all we knew, you were simply introducing yourself by describing your plans and goals. That's how many people begin here.

Kate

gpkgto

Oct 5, 2009, 4:13 PM

Post #19 of 22 (8557 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"I'm interested in meeting progressive minded people who are considering a move to Guadalajara in 2010"

You've limited your interest to maybe 20 people--none of whom may be members of Mexico Connect.

tashby

Oct 5, 2009, 5:15 PM

Post #20 of 22 (8533 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I know that there's an EcoTianguis in Guadalajara that's starting to pick up a head of steam. Maybe. (Just a couple weeks ago, in fact, an EcoTienda opened down the street from us in Ajijic.) Maybe there are some networking opportunities through them. Best of luck.

Sr. Google reveals this link:

http://vivirmexico.com/...r-mercado-en-su-tipo

(This post was edited by tashby on Oct 5, 2009, 5:16 PM)

esperanza

Oct 6, 2009, 9:21 AM

Post #21 of 22 (8413 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you take the time to read everyone's answers to your initial and subsequent posts, you might see an idea about your move that hadn't already occurred to you. Conversely, someone's post might raise new questions in your mind--not about the advisability or viability of your original request, just new questions you might like to think over.

Given that you already have a tremendous amount of experience in Mexico, there might even be questions you could answer for others here on Mexconnect.

On the other hand, you haven't yet lived here--so maybe there are things you'd like to know other than what you originally posted. Many of us on Mexconnect have lived here for a very long time. I, for example, have lived in Mexico for nearly 30 years. I speak fluent Spanish, am a Mexican citizen, and have lived for years both in Guadalajara and Morelia, as well as in other Mexican cities. While I don't want to live in the kind of community you mention, I might have other knowledge that would be valuable to you as you plan your move.

On yet another hand, if you don't like what you see on Mexconnect, why bother to stay around? There are other Mexico-related web boards where you might have a better reception. I will say, though, as others have said before me: we generally get back what we give out.

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 7, 2009, 10:43 AM

Post #22 of 22 (8228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Considering emigrating to Guadalajara?

| Private Reply
I am locking this thread since the last several posts (now deleted) have attacked the messenger rather than the message.
Feel free to develop the discussion as a new thread if you feel so inclined. Thanks, Tony.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 7, 2009, 10:43 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4