Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

senior moment

Sep 21, 2009, 10:59 AM

Post #1 of 25 (7375 views)

Shortcut

Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

Can't Post | Private Reply
How best to deal with this situation? We were just waved on through in Laredo 10 days ago. Has anyone deallt with this problem lately? We're in San Miguel de Allende.

Thanks

arbon

Sep 21, 2009, 12:35 PM

Post #2 of 25 (7347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [senior moment] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

Can't Post |
The only thing you can do (in SMA) is ask for mercy and the only thing they can do is give you mercy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chicois8

Sep 21, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #3 of 25 (7310 views)

Shortcut

Well since you are an illegal alien I would bet that your insurance is null and void ( if you purchased it ) ...Maybe go to an immigration office and get an FMT then try to get the temp. vehicle permit online...hope this helps...

bournemouth

Sep 21, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #4 of 25 (7300 views)

Shortcut

You're not the first to do this but it is a problem. Go over to Carol Schmidt's website and see if you can find someone in SMA to help you with this:

http://forumsfallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 21, 2009, 6:38 PM)

sioux4noff

Sep 21, 2009, 6:26 PM

Post #5 of 25 (7289 views)

Shortcut

I would suggest driving back to the border and getting things done right. You can drive to the border in 1 day, can't you?
Didn't you know that visas and car permits were required?

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Sep 21, 2009, 6:29 PM)

Rolly

Sep 21, 2009, 6:39 PM

Post #6 of 25 (7277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

I agree. Drive to the border and start over.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Sep 21, 2009, 6:53 PM

Post #7 of 25 (7269 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You can also ask Marlene in Mazatlan, what they recommend. (It has also happened there a few times)

mazrentals@gmail.com

http://www.mexconnect.com/.../gforum.cgi?forum=17;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carron

Sep 22, 2009, 6:13 AM

Post #8 of 25 (7229 views)

Shortcut

By "waved through" I assume you meant that you got the green light and did not have to have a customs inspection of what you were bringing into Mexico with you. A tourist visa and vehicle permit are obtained in a different office, usually very near where you crossed, and you should have pulled in just after you made the border into Mexico.

It is a shame you went all the way down and, yes, it looks like you need to come all the way back north to the border. You must have gone through not one but two check points on the way to SMA. Getting the green light does not mean you don't need the visa and permit. A matter of apples and oranges among government agencies.

Even if you go to an office of Migracion in SMA you will probably be subject to a fine and/or an interminable lecture before you are sent back North. Cheaper to go back and start over on your own.

Speaking to you from the experience of my son and daughter-in-law.

senior moment

Sep 22, 2009, 7:55 AM

Post #9 of 25 (7202 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your responses. I had expected to run into immigration at about 20 km down the toll road but didn't and figured I'd deal with it in SMA. It's not the first stupid thing I've done and won't be the last. I had hoped that someone would respond with "go to a Notary, give him some money and he will fix it". It looks like a road trip the the border. What would be the best place to go from SMA? Suggest place to stay overnight too please.

Thanks

senior moment

Sep 22, 2009, 8:54 AM

Post #10 of 25 (7184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have emailed carol and await a reply. I didn't find anything specific to our problem on her site.

Thanks again

tashby

Sep 22, 2009, 9:19 AM

Post #11 of 25 (7181 views)

Shortcut

I dunno......I feel like there is an important piece of information missing.

How long do you and your car plan on being in Mexico? There seems to be a presumption in the responses that your staying for a long time.

If I accidentally/illegally brought my car into Mexico, but I was only on a two-week holiday, I might be inclined to gamble a bit. Lay low in the hopes that I don't get asked for paperwork, then make a run for the border.

I said might.

I know a kid who was woofing on a farm near Monterrey and was in the same predicament. The drive back was a bit nerve-wracking, no doubt, but he made it.

And, a question for the experts because I certainly don't know. Is there really no aduana office within the interior that can correct this mistake (for a fee and penalty, no doubt)? It's such an easy mistake to make......

Either way, good luck.

Papirex

Sep 22, 2009, 9:52 AM

Post #12 of 25 (7161 views)

Shortcut

I have no solution for you, but you have my sympathy. The error you made is easy to do and does happen sometimes because no visa or car permit is required if a visitor does not go beyond the border security zone, and does not stay in México more than 72 hours. A visitor to a city near the border may freely drive a foreign plated vehicle into México with no visa or paperwork required. Some people in their innocence just keep going into the interior because no one stopped them.

No one at the border is going to take a visitor by the hand and tell them what to do, coming or going. It is not their responsibility, it is ours to know what is required as far as getting, or canceling visas, car permits, etc. It is a good idea to ask at every government office where the next office is located that you need to visit. Don't depend on seeing signs, there are often none.

You have problems with two different agencies now, immigration for your visa, and Aduana (customs) for your car permit. Your best option now is to drive back to the border as others have suggested, there will be no solution locally. The problems you may encounter doing that is if a policeman notices that your car has no import sticker and stops you. He will then discover that you have no visa and will almost certainly demand a bribe. Your best option if that happens is to negotiate the amount, and pay it.

You may not be stopped by a cop, and you may be stopped several times, and need to pay more than one bribe. I don't believe in paying bribes, and never pay them, but if you are in the wrong, it may be the easiest option.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

senior moment

Sep 22, 2009, 2:30 PM

Post #13 of 25 (7121 views)

Shortcut

On going back to the border will I need to cross into the US or can I just go straight to immigration on Mexican side?

Thanks,

mh

tashby

Sep 22, 2009, 7:06 PM

Post #14 of 25 (7092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

In Reply To

Your best option now is to drive back to the border as others have suggested, there will be no solution locally. The problems you may encounter doing that is if a policeman notices that your car has no import sticker and stops you. He will then discover that you have no visa and will almost certainly demand a bribe. Your best option if that happens is to negotiate the amount, and pay it.

You may not be stopped by a cop, and you may be stopped several times, and need to pay more than one bribe. I don't believe in paying bribes, and never pay them, but if you are in the wrong, it may be the easiest option.

And that's exactly my point. The un-papered drive to the border includes exactly the same scenarios, whether you're driving north to "fix" the problem or you're driving north to get back home to stay there.

At least hypothetically, seems to depend on how long you and your car will be here illegally, and in the interim, and how much you'll be exposing yourself to those kinds of possibilities.

Or maybe I'm just missing something entirely. (But that hasn't happened since yesterday!)

¡Suerte!

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 22, 2009, 7:11 PM)

Altahabana

Sep 23, 2009, 4:13 AM

Post #15 of 25 (7057 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
On going back to the border will I need to cross into the US or can I just go straight to immigration on Mexican side?

Thanks,

mh

You do not need to cross into the US. It is fairly easy to get to the CIITEV station where you get the FMT and vehicle permit in Nuevo Laredo coming from the South.

1. As you approach Nuevo Laredo on Highway 85 you will see an exit to the right for Bridge II--Blvd. Luis Coloso. You get onto Coloso and will go about 6 miles on divided roadway. You will get in the right lane when you see an overhead road sign that shows Ave. Cesar de Lara to the right.

2. At the first traffic light you will veer to the right onto a two-way access road (Lara) that parallels Coloso. There is also a blue sign that says Modulo CIITEV. After about a half mile you will see the large station on your left.

3. There is a Holiday Inn Express on Coloso that is a good place to spend the night. It will be on your left as you drive toward the CIITEV station and will be alongside the road as you are leaving.

You do not need to present your vehicle in Nuevo Laredo--you only need the documentation for the vehicle. If someone with a legal vehicle can take you to the border you avoid the possibility of getting stopped and all the unpleasant things that could follow. Or you could take a bus as there are decent connections between SMA and Nuevo Laredo (via Monterrey).

The recommendation of the previous poster is one you might want to consider if you are only going to be in Mexico for a short time. I personally though would feel uneasy being in Mexico illegally and driving an illegally imported vehicle.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Sep 23, 2009, 6:03 AM)

senior moment

Sep 23, 2009, 7:46 AM

Post #16 of 25 (7027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

Again, thank you for the suggestions, information. Another question please; would my wife need to physically present to get the tourist visa or could I do everything myself on taking the bus up there and leave her and dog in SMA? We're here for 4 more weeks.

sioux4noff

Sep 23, 2009, 3:51 PM

Post #17 of 25 (6992 views)

Shortcut

Reconsidering, I might tend to agree with Tashby and just hope your luck is good. 4 weeks isn't all that long in the overall scheme of things. But the 2 day trip would allay your fears, I'm sure.
The only time anyone has paid any attention to our car import papers is when we had an accident. And then ony 1 of the two times we had an accident. Same with our FM3s, we have often needed to show them for ID but never to any officials for any reason other than the accident investigation.
I'd be interested in the insurance angle on not havng the proper permits, however.

senior moment

Sep 24, 2009, 7:26 AM

Post #18 of 25 (6917 views)

Shortcut

I am sorely tempted to try to play Robert Mitchum in "Thunder Road" but I have contacted an attorney (on the suggestion of a member) who thinks he can untangle things for us without a trip to the border. It's only money. Live/learn. Thanks again to all who attempted to help. I figured out what made me miss immigration in the first place; my Magellan GPS directed me straight and right to the toll road instead of the Coloso circuit because it had been set to "shortest route". Still my fubar though.....

sioux4noff

Sep 24, 2009, 3:07 PM

Post #19 of 25 (6869 views)

Shortcut

Compare the price the attorney quotes you with the cost of a trip to the border. Trip to the border may be less.

mexliving

Sep 24, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #20 of 25 (6836 views)

Shortcut

cant he get the permits on line and have a family member DHL THEM TO HIM???????????? at least the car....

now for the visa...... i dont know..

how much is the lawyer charging?????

mexliving

Sep 24, 2009, 9:52 PM

Post #21 of 25 (6834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

TIP.... google the laredo/usa area... look for the bridge and look into mexico... right passed the bridge to the left is that big parking lot .... that is imigration/aduana building... center the googlemap so that you have that area and the streets on your map.. then pan out since the best route when you leave that area is to the right exiting the parking lot. that will take you all the way to the right and curve around to 85.

good luck....

it happens..

what year is your car???? you can actually sell it now..... just kidding.

ETA: Correct spelling of Laredo for Google purposes.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 25, 2009, 2:08 PM)

Marlene

Sep 28, 2009, 2:05 PM

Post #22 of 25 (6758 views)

Shortcut

I agree. A temporary import permit cannot be issued in Mexico by Aduana, only at the border. If you don't get one, you take a chance (with the Aduana "police" who can actually seize the vehicle)...but if you park your car for the duration of your visit, it is the same chance you take driving back to get one at this point in time. I fail to see the reason to pay for an attorney, though I know there are plenty who will smile and take your money. Please let us know how it went. Hope you are enjoying your visit.

Manuel Dexterity

Sep 28, 2009, 3:41 PM

Post #23 of 25 (6736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

There is a Mexican Customs program called "Retorno Seguro" for vehicles that are illegally in the country. They will give the owners a permit to take the vehicle out of the country. They impose no fines or take any legal action against the owner. It allows for a 3 to 5 day grace period once you receive the permit to remove the vehicle from Mexico.

Whether they will issue it for a car under these circumstances I don't know but it is worth checking out. I would first visit immigration and get that settled so at least you are legally inside the country and then go by the nearest Aduana office.

Altahabana

Sep 29, 2009, 6:03 AM

Post #24 of 25 (6696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

I thought the Returno Seguro program was only for vehicles with expired permits but the website indicates it can be used when a vehicle is Puro Ilegal. Your immigration status has to be current though.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...culos/141_10027.html

ZihuaCornerBar

Oct 3, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #25 of 25 (6562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Help ! In Central Mexico without any visa or car permit.

I was under the impression that there are numerous checkpoints under way that check to MAKE sure you have the holograms sticker? Did you manage to drive down and never get pulled over? There is a reason why I'm asking this...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4