Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

mazfan

Sep 30, 2009, 3:00 PM

Post #1 of 17 (10734 views)

Shortcut

Cement floor tile

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone tell me where I can buy cement floor tile in Guadalajara? I live in Mazatlán, and everyone here says to go to Guadalajara to buy some, but of course, no one can tell me specifically where to go! Appreciate any help!

esperanza

Sep 30, 2009, 3:20 PM

Post #2 of 17 (10725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazfan] Cement floor tile

On Av. Niños Héroes, starting at about Calle Colón or Calle 8 de julio, you'll find store after store filled with bathroom and kitchen goods: tiles, sinks, tubs, etc. What you're looking for is piso de pasta, and there are at least a couple of stores on Niños Héroes who still stock and/or make it.

There's also a store in Jocotepec, on the west end of Lake Chapala, where these tiles are still made.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazfan

Sep 30, 2009, 3:53 PM

Post #3 of 17 (10717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Cement floor tile

Thank you so much for the information!

Manuel Dexterity

Sep 30, 2009, 5:05 PM

Post #4 of 17 (10707 views)

Shortcut

I find it hard to believe that you can't find these tiles in Mazatlan. They are more commonly called mosaico (hidraulico) and usually any small town will have at least one small 2 to 4 man operation making these. This was the flooring of choice in many places for a long time. They last far longer than clay tiles and were far cheaper than modern ceramic. For a higher cost these small shops are usually up to making a batch using a customer provided design.

mazfan

Oct 1, 2009, 7:38 AM

Post #5 of 17 (10659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Cement floor tile

Actually, the albañil I am working with took me to a very small operation deep in the barrio. I gave him a design, and he made 4 tiles for me to look at, but they were of poor quality, in my opinion. They looked like a kid had drawn the design. Plus, my albañil said I could get them for less in GDL, and they would be of higher quality.

chinagringo

Oct 1, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #6 of 17 (10650 views)

Shortcut

Based upon our personal experience with cement floor tile, I would recommend really doing the research on the best available sealer for these tiles once they are laid. That was one of the details that was missed in our construction and we were never satisfied with the tile appearance afterwards. They were difficult to keep clean or at least appear that they were clean.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mazfan

Oct 1, 2009, 10:33 AM

Post #7 of 17 (10612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Cement floor tile

Thank you, Neil.

mexliving

Oct 3, 2009, 12:09 AM

Post #8 of 17 (10559 views)

Shortcut

dont forget to get some moisture barrier for under the tiles..

mazfan

Oct 3, 2009, 8:11 AM

Post #9 of 17 (10536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Cement floor tile

Thanks - that's a good tip. Do you know of a particular brand I can get?

mexliving

Oct 4, 2009, 2:31 PM

Post #10 of 17 (10484 views)

Shortcut

not sure what type....... but you must get that moisture barrier stuff..... other wise you will see the grout moist ..... also take a humidifier to remove moisture from rooms to paint....

colibri1

Oct 15, 2009, 5:03 PM

Post #11 of 17 (10394 views)

Shortcut

You should also know that they are EXTREEEEMLY slippery when wet. Like ice skating!!!
C1

colibri1

Oct 15, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #12 of 17 (10392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Cement floor tile

Would you please elaborate...we've never experienced any of this that you're mentioning and we live in an amazing humid location.
C1

Vichil

Oct 16, 2009, 9:27 AM

Post #13 of 17 (10358 views)

Shortcut

Go to

Mosaicos Eternos
Puebla 231
Sector Hidalgo
44200 Guadalajara

33 3826 3084

They make them and have old catalogues going back to the 30´s or 40´s and cd´s as well.

They have been manufacturing the cement tiles for a long time and have tons of designs from very cheap to very expensive. Some look like oriental rugs.

It is close to downtown and you can walk there while in the center.
Good luck

Watch out for white it stains very easily and is a bitch to clean.

Vichil

Oct 16, 2009, 9:35 AM

Post #14 of 17 (10352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Cement floor tile

If you are not in the area anylonger ask for their ccatalogue, they probably can download the cd via internet.

mazfan

Oct 16, 2009, 12:50 PM

Post #15 of 17 (10338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Cement floor tile

Vichil,

Not to worry, that is exactly where I ended up ordering the tile from! A small hotel here had some beautiful tile in their courtyard, so I inquired about where it had come from. The owner referred me to Mosaicos Eternos. They were very helpful.

Thanks again for your help.

Hound Dog

Oct 16, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #16 of 17 (10323 views)

Shortcut

Great, I am glad you found them anyways. By the way they have people who specialize in cleaning this type of floor, ask for their names and they will give you ideas on how to clean them . The profesionals use some type of acid.
The floors get a shine with age, the more you clean them and the more they shine, unfortunately they are also prone to stains difficult to remove.
In Chiapas the painter used veryfine sandpaper to remove the stains.
The store has some great designs, I am glad you found it!

mazfan

Oct 16, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #17 of 17 (10313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Cement floor tile

Me too!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4