Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

delmaracer

Sep 27, 2009, 7:59 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2700 views)

Shortcut

CFE Voltage

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mr. Johanson:
Do you have any information as to the line voltage serving residential casas in Mexico. I have read that the voltage can range from 115 to a high possibly of 143.
I have also read that the legal normal line voltage is 125. Where I live in Baja, the voltage is 125 and our electrician has told us that this is higher than normal voltage and is the reason why our AC splits have been burning out.

Any comments and information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

johanson / Moderator

Sep 28, 2009, 6:19 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracer] CFE Voltage

I do not know if the voltage is unique in BC or not. Standard voltage in Mexico is 127 yes 127. And it used to be stated that anything within 10 % of that is OK. My neighborhood had been as high as 142-3 early morning when there was no load. Now after working with CFE the average line voltage is closer to 127, but often higher.

raferguson

Sep 29, 2009, 10:03 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracer] CFE Voltage

Someone a while back posted an email from CFE saying that their standard was 127v plus-minus 10%, vs US, where you would see 120 plus 5%, minus 10%.

Note that 125 volts is within the normal range for voltage in the USA, 130 volts is not. 127v plus 10% is 140 volts.

You could get a step-down (buck) transformer to drop the voltage 10%. Not sure what you mean by "AC splits".

I would get a digital AC voltmeter and plug it into the wall permanently, so you could glance up and see the voltage. (RV stores have them). I imagine that the voltage would vary by time of day.

Good luck,
Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Rolly

Sep 29, 2009, 10:07 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] CFE Voltage

I don't mean to be picky, but the standard nominal voltage in the USA is 117v, not 120.

Rolly Pirate

delmaracer

Sep 29, 2009, 9:40 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] CFE Voltage

I think the suggestion of getting a plug in voltage meter and keep an eye on it.
Thanks,
Bob

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4