Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johanson

Sep 27, 2009, 3:40 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6163 views)

Shortcut

Rain

Can't Post | Private Reply
I can't believe it. We just had a great 12 minute rain storm starting at 5:02 and ending at almost 5:15. We had 1.3 cm of rain you know, slightly more than a half of an inch, here in upper Ajijic. For a while there one couldn't see more than a block. Now it's partly sunny again. Yet when I checked the local weather station in Riberas de Pilar (just west of Chapala) they had no rain. This is a very cool and exciting time of the year.

We didn't get as much rain this year as normal. But it sure came down fast during a 12 minute period a few minutes ago yet when you go to http://www.chapalaweather.net/, just 6 miles to the east of Ajijic, they had no rain at all. Weird, but cool. Time for another beer.

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 27, 2009, 3:52 PM)

La Isla

Sep 27, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Rain

The precipitation patterns have been very strange this year in Mexico City. We had almost no rain in August, but now we're making up for it in September. But unlike in the past, when the sun shone when it wasn't raining, now we have many days when it's overcast most of the day, and heavy rain can fall at any time.

The weirdest thing happened to me about a week ago. I hung some hand laundry to dry on the roof and an hour passed - not much sun, but at least it wasn't raining. Then all at once it began to pour, so I rushed up to the roof to grab my things off the line. Much to my surprise, I saw that there was a big cloud hanging directly over my apartment building and it was releasing rain right onto my semi-dry laundry. But all around my building, it was clear and sunny. Now that's weird....

arbon

Sep 27, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Rain

Can't Post |
My Grandmother could always get it to rain, by hanging out the laundry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tashby

Sep 27, 2009, 6:45 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Rain

In Reply To
We just had a great 12 minute rain storm starting at 5:02 and ending at almost 5:15. We had 1.3 cm of rain you know, slightly more than a half of an inch, here in upper Ajijic. ......

....But it sure came down fast during a 12 minute period a few minutes ago yet when you go to http://www.chapalaweather.net/, just 6 miles to the east of Ajijic, they had no rain at all. Weird, but cool. Time for another beer.

I was driving on the Libremiento between Ajijic and the GDL/Chapala Highway when that rain started to POUR. Was on my way to GDL to pick up people at the bus station......I almost turned around and came back, but decided to get over the hill to see what it was like In Guadalajara. By the time I reached those housing developments over there (Brisas de Haciendas or whateveras) it had just about stopped.

Nice little wetty.

P.S. That IS weird La Isla. I love funky weather like that.

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 27, 2009, 6:47 PM)

Camille

Sep 27, 2009, 8:44 PM

Post #5 of 6 (6091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Rain

And I'm guessing your twelve minutes of rain turned into our three hours of it, the biggest rain of the year on the Bahia de Banderas, due west from Guadalajara. The Rio Caloso, which has been dry all but three days this summer, is a brown torrent tonight. This means the rain happened so fast the water just tore into the riverbed.
Did the rain chant several friends and I did yesterday do any good? It didn't hurt, that's for sure! My newly planted lichee, fig, and olive thank the rain gods, and so do I.
Tomorrow we'll see the road damage, bound to be severe.... the unpaved roads, I mean.
Who knows what's in our futures weather-wise? Talk about interesting times....

johanson

Sep 28, 2009, 6:15 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Rain

Yes it was amazing. I had another inch and 3/4 for a total of 2.38 inches. I loved it. we needed it. We normally get about 6 inches in Sept. I total for the month was a little more than two. Now we are at 4.5 inches

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4