Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hound Dog

Sep 24, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6468 views)

Shortcut

General Lee Hamburgers and Tequila

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, I buried my review of this restaurant in another thread as noted by Bournemnouth so here is my correction of that mistake.

The General Lee (yes itīs that General Robert E. Lee for whom this restaurant was named) is located at 178 Ocampo in West Ajijic just behind the Danza del Sol Hotel but if you go there which I unreservedly recommend, look for a front gate that has a big 01 on it since commercial buildings in the Seis Esquinas area donīt always have numbers that mean anything. Turn left from the carretera as you head west in West Ajijic on Rio Zula and drive two blocks to Ocampo, turn left again and look for General Lee on your right soon thereafter. There is parking in the restaurant which is on a large lawn with beautiful trees here and there and there you are.

What better combination of lifeīs essential foods exists above hamburgers and tequila? Especially top quality hamburgers and tequila, not some sort of rotgut tequila and two-bit hamburgers made with supermarket green meat. OK, Iīll tell you what surpasses that. A French entrecote with bearnaise and a glass of red wine and french fries but Dawg cannot find that anywhere but Paris and a joint he knows in San Francisco so Dawg is telling you this is the next best thing on this continent.

The tequila selection is top notch but Iīm talking here about the burgers you get with the tequila.

Here is the menu:
American Burger with American Cheese , Onions & Tomatoes
General Lee with East Indian Curry, Havarti Cheese and Cashews
The Texan with a Special house Made Mayonnaise, Tabasco and BBQ Sauce
The Caribbean with a spicy Mango and Tamarind Puree, Diced Pineapple and Pickles
The Mexican with Jalapeņos. Avocado and Chorizo topped with Chipotle Dressing
The Mayan with Achiote, Adobera Cheese, Red onion and a Smoket Flavor
The Pranayana with Tuna, East Indian Curry, Havarti Cheese, Onion & Tomato
The Fish Burger with Breaded Fish Filet and Dijon Mustard
The Vegetarian Burger with Mushrooms, Adobera Cheese, Obnions, Poblano Peppers & Tomatoes
The Premium Portobello with a Huge Portobello Mushroom, Havarti Cheese, Tomatoes, Soy and Onion Sprouts

Side orders include onion rings, American Fries and Nachos.

The owners/chefs at this place are extremely talented and amicable and make food you wonīt find elsewhere around the lake. When busness picks up (they are brand new to the neighborhood) they will prepare their burgers on the charcoal grill but for now they grill them which still makes an outstanding sandwich.

The Six Corners neighborhood has gotten some bad publicity lately and deservedly so but here you can park in their secure parking lot without fear of theft. Totally safe and secure. A great garden ambience. An asset for this town you will not regret patronizing. The best burgers and fine tequila. What is it you want in life above and beyond that?

Do not let this place pass you by. Fabulous.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 24, 2009, 4:32 PM)

don pedro

Sep 24, 2009, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] General Lee Hamburgers and Tequila

so what you're saying is these aren't really burgers but more like a california interpretation of same.
i prefer the real thing -out comes my webber and my commercial burger meat from soriana which is red not green and has nothing to do with duct tape.
what is the cost of one of these california style frufru concoctions?
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Manuel Dexterity

Sep 24, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] General Lee Hamburgers and Tequila

I wonder if they come with a pretentious lecture on the how to "properly" pair the burger with the tequila?

(This post was edited by Tio Copas on Sep 24, 2009, 6:06 PM)

don pedro

Sep 25, 2009, 6:19 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6368 views)

Shortcut

hmmm? reliving the quisine of your youth are you bubba?
so how much are these doctored alledged burgers done in the uppity california style?
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Manuel Dexterity

Sep 25, 2009, 6:23 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6367 views)

Shortcut

Skip the Miracle Whip and add fried onions and you might be onto something. Wouldn't want to be hanging with Pedro after he consumed one though.

Gringal

Sep 25, 2009, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] General Lee Hamburgers and Tequila

As you said, Pedro...............HOW MUCH ARE THE BURGERS? Stay the course, Dawg.

Now, I like burgers and I like tequila. But not together before the sun goes over the yardarm. What are the hours there?

Hound Dog

Sep 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] General Lee Hamburgers and Tequila

Hours 2pm to 10PM closed on Wednesday.

The owner is Daniel Giron, he speak good English and is a wonderful and interesting man. His partner is Gabriela, she is a shrink and also practices homeopathy. They are both very interesting people.
The prices are between 45 pesos and 65 pesos for double Deckers.
Onion rings are 35
American fries 30

I can vouch for the tuna burger, it is delicious if you like tuna.
Brigitte

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4