Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hound Dog

Sep 23, 2009, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14657 views)

Shortcut

An Amusing Story

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, look folks, I am enjoying posting my yarns on MexConnect and don`t mean to add any controversy to any forums already suffering from overactive old folks puttering about but here goes:

I have been banned fom another Chapala local forum because sometimes, and I know this is hard for you readers to believe, I have proven a vociferous malcontent there but anyway this is funny. Some participants in that forum were disturbed at my occasionally vituperative comments and must have gone to management of the forum to complain so the forum moderator decided, not inappropriately but perhaps a bit impetuously, to place me on a special status that required that my posts be previewed for unpleasantness before entering the public domain and therefore every time I posted I was presented with this pompous written notice that my post would be reviewed before publication which was only fair in my mind since I have often posted in the past with snide commentary but then relatively innocuous postings by Dawg started disappearing and that tended to offend the less socially acceptable side of said Dawg and I decided to have some fun so out of the clear blue I posted, "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and was immediately banned from that webboard for all of eternity. Their loss.

However, that means I no longer have the capacity to publicize my restaurant reviews on that Chapala forum so I ask that those of you who agree with me might perhaps act as my advocates on that forum if you find yourself in agreement with my thoughts on Lakeside eateries. I have just posted a positive comment on the great new General Lee Hamburger and Tequila Restaurant in West Ajijic and request that those of you who wish to help two great and innovative chefs survive publicize my love of this rare find when you get a chance. You will not believe how much better this hamburger/tequila joint is than its competition and the owners are super people. Donīt let it die. Itīs in a tough part of town. Donīt be afraid to go there as there is inside parking.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 23, 2009, 1:06 PM)

bournemouth

Sep 23, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #2 of 14 (14633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] An Amusing Story

But where have you posted the positive review of the new hamburger and tequila place?

bournemouth

Sep 23, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #3 of 14 (14631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] An Amusing Story

It's o.k. - I found it below. We'll try it out. Maybe you need to make it a separate thread - it's lost in all the verbage in the other thread, which has gone on for awhile and it about quite different food.

(This post was edited by bournemouth on Sep 23, 2009, 1:10 PM)

Hound Dog

Sep 23, 2009, 1:24 PM

Post #4 of 14 (14626 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, Bournemouth:

That was my initial review but perhaps I became a bit wordy and wandering in my prose and for that I apologize to my British compatriot. I canīt help this as I am from the Deep South in the United States and of English/Scottish parentage and we historically value the sounds of incessant gabbing over succinctness. Down in South Alabama while sitting on the front porch sipping a little whisky and daintily eating some smoked turkey finger sandwiches it would be impolite to say, for instance, "Well Billy Bob, when were you released from the drunk tank?"; rather you would say, " Tell me Billy Bob, how long has it been since you were indisposed through no apparent fault of your own and unable to report to the Western Auto Store to take charge of the key department for reasons not compatible with your true nature?"

Do take my word for it Bournemouth even though it has been reported to me that your primary goal in life is to strangle me slowly with a rubber band while simultaneously eviscerating me with a dull plastic knife and setting fire to my innards with kerosene, I really think you will love this General Lee Restaurant although your negative assessment, if warranted, is welcome.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 23, 2009, 1:34 PM)

Hound Dog

Sep 23, 2009, 1:32 PM

Post #5 of 14 (14625 views)

Shortcut

It's o.k. - I found it below. We'll try it out. Maybe you need to make it a separate thread - it's lost in all the verbage in the other thread, which has gone on for awhile and it about quite different food.

OK. I am exposed but thatīs OK. Iīve been moving all my life to stay one step in front of the sheriff. I enjoyed that thrust. Well done.

By the way, Tabarka makes a great nearly raw tuna hamburger that they give away as a free botana. If itīs Wednesday, we must go there.

belgique

Sep 23, 2009, 5:34 PM

Post #6 of 14 (14591 views)

Shortcut

Totally off topic, but I surely wish that Miss Durrance, my R.E. Lee High School (Jax Florida, circa 1958) English teacher was alive to diagram your original post. I bet she would ultimately conclude that it was, amazingly, grammatically correct. I said Miss Durrance because in my teen's she seemed to be an 80 year old spinster, but now, looking back, I realize that she was probably about 40 and a wild thing at the local watering spots. Welcome back Dawg...it was boring here for a long time.

Zardoz

Sep 23, 2009, 6:52 PM

Post #7 of 14 (14571 views)

Shortcut

You are fine Hounddog just a little bit different that is all. Everybody who has a personality
gets bounced from Chapala.com for some strange reason. I guess you could call it a white
bread forum. Heaven forbid if something is different from what is usual you know. Who knows
maybe people like it that way. Personally I find it a little bit boring but maybe I would not feel
this way if I was the victim of your pen. :-) :-)

Camille

Sep 23, 2009, 7:17 PM

Post #8 of 14 (14563 views)

Shortcut

You GO, Dawg....the restaurant reviews are most entertaining! I hope to spend next summer housesitting in the Chapala area, and I'm already drooling......

Gringal

Sep 24, 2009, 7:52 AM

Post #9 of 14 (14486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] An Amusing Story

I appreciate the Dawg's restaurant reviews as well. He does get a bit picky in his expectations for this small time townlet, but at least he doesn't go into raptures of delight over a greasy burger or a steak house passing top sirloin off as filet mignon.

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Sep 25, 2009, 10:02 PM)

Hound Dog

Sep 24, 2009, 9:31 AM

Post #10 of 14 (14457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] An Amusing Story

Totally off topic, but I surely wish that Miss Durrance, my R.E. Lee High School (Jax Florida, circa 1958) English teacher was alive to diagram your original post. I bet she would ultimately conclude that it was, amazingly, grammatically correct.

Thank you Belgique and the only reason I respond to that post is that it reminds me of another story. My motherīs family was a bit eccentric as are many educated southerners of all races but they loved the English language and that was most important to them. I never liked my aunt Barbara who grew up in my small Alabama town but then moved to Wilmington, NC and became a successful librarian. She always thought my mother (and her sister) was lax in the raising of her children and never cared for me for some reason which I now fathom better than I did then but the main thing I remember about her is that when I was visiting their family beach house in Wrightsville Beach outside of Wilmington, she decided that I should have a bowel movement everyday at about 9:00AM and when that didnīt happen she decided that the siolution was an anal suppository which she then utilized and I never forgot that unpleasant experience although, to be honest about it, if that had happened a few years later I might now still love her memory dearly. Anyway, she never liked me as I said a moment ago but I also did not like her so thatīs a wash but shortly before she died she endeared herself to me by telling me, "Well, Dawg, you are a useless reprobate but you use the language well."

There could have been no better compliment from this person who was one cold fish. Itīs fascinating is it not, that we hold compliments from those we detest most dear. I donīt understand this phenomenon but somehow I feel Ms. Durrance and my aunt are kindred souls. And, by the way, I love that name of R.E. Lee High School. Classic.

I will resubmit my review of the General Lee Restaurant (the same R.E. Lee by the way) later with more detail but with brevity as a goal.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 24, 2009, 9:33 AM)

BrentB

Sep 24, 2009, 10:58 AM

Post #11 of 14 (14438 views)

Shortcut

I got banned for defending locals and local customs from ethnocentric gringos-come-lately. The final ban resulted from asking where I could get a Chia Obama for my chia collection.
My ban ends in 2015, so I guess my infraction is less severe than yours.If I buy another house will my ban get lifted?

Since I split my time between Jalisco, Chicago and Guatemala, it really does not bother me too much. I doubt those people have a sense of humor. I only offered to show my chia collection if others showed theirs.

Will I now get banned here?

brent

sandykayak

Sep 28, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #12 of 14 (14198 views)

Shortcut

LOL...Since I started on the forums in 03, you (and Pedro) have made a career out of being banned on-and-off from the different forums since the days of Bubba and Pedro (now aka Hound Dawg and Don Pedro - social promotion).

IMO, the forums are much more fun when there's some excitement going on. I just hope that Bubba says something funny in the first paragraph or two....sometimes I lose interest. :)
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

sparks

Sep 28, 2009, 5:22 PM

Post #13 of 14 (14173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] An Amusing Story

I know there has been a tendancy for run on sentences in this thread .... but did you just mention Bubba and Pedro in the same.

4294967295 Replies ... I must have missed a few

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Sep 28, 2009, 5:23 PM)

johanson

Sep 28, 2009, 5:56 PM

Post #14 of 14 (14158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] An Amusing Story

4294967295 Replies

Yes I saw that too Sparks. I know Bubba and Pedro, and I like them both, not that I haven't had my evil quarrels for months on end with Pedro.

You know, I think I'm pretty smart. And then I see some of the big words Bubba uses in some of his posts, and realize how much better his English is than mine. Now if only Pedro and I had his (Bubba's) linguistic abilities. Now on the other hand if only Bubba and I could only spell as well as Pedro, we would all be unbeatable.

I greatly enjoy the posts of both of these two. I only hope they will continue to be careful what they post so that my fellow moderators don't get angry. Me, I don't get angry because I know you both and know where you both are coming from. And when you post something provocative, I can see the smile on your faces and don't take it the wrong way.

May both of you and for that matter all of you have a great evening.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4