Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Geos

Sep 22, 2009, 8:24 PM

Post #1 of 14 (8945 views)

Shortcut

Planning RV trip to Tulum

Can't Post | Private Reply

I'm planning a trip to Tulum with my RV this winter and I would like to get some feedback on possible routes. Looking at Google maps it looks like an absolute unmarked spaghetti bowl but checking a little further I found some very useful sites

http://www.rvinginmexico.com/OrderNow.html
http://www.ontheroadin.com/...ortherngulfcoast.htm

I will be taking my MS Streets&Tours (thanks Rolly) as well but I thought I'd get some suggestions on best routes & what to avoid from insiders like you folks. Safety & speed are my main priorities; I would prefer to avoid as many banditos and hair pin turns with 1000 meter drops as possible as I will be driving a 40' fancy shmancy bus/RV conversion.

I have a ton of questions about customs, permits, licenses, visas, mechanics, etc. but I'll try to contain myself for now. I'm coming from Binghamton, NY so my first question is which border crossing to take. Looks like my choices are either Nuevo Laredo or Matamoros. Thanks for your route suggestions.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 23, 2009, 7:14 AM)

belgique

Sep 23, 2009, 5:42 AM

Post #2 of 14 (8921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Geos] Planning RV trip to Tulum

Folks here will certainly help on the routing etc. For the RV specific spin on this go here and search the forum. Lot's of good RV info for MX. As to crossing, I prefer Los Indios...very laid back and room for a MH (ours is 35' and towing). I'm told Matamoros is not RV friendly. There is a stickee at the top of that forum by "Turtle Toad" with border issues, insurance, etc. The "Church Book" as it is called that you cited in rvingmexico, is the Bible for us RV'ers. The new edition will be out soon and will also answer your questions...don't leave home without it.

Geos

Sep 23, 2009, 6:54 AM

Post #3 of 14 (8915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Planning RV trip to Tulum

My friend who's been to Tulum many times says, "I wouldn't take that into Mexico." That really has me paranoid. I imagine highly armed banditos following us and ambushing us at night. That has me pretty worried.

belgique

Sep 23, 2009, 7:12 AM

Post #4 of 14 (8902 views)

Shortcut

I know nothing about Tulam. A review of the link I sent will show that there are a bunch of very fine RV's on Mexican roads every year and not one of the many participants of that forum has ever reported a bandito problem. We have done the west coast as far as PV, the east coast almost to Merida, and Puebla. Many others cover a lot more territory. We have an 2008 Winnie 35' towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We often use secondary roads and parks in the hinterlands. Not once have we ever had a hinky feeling about something. We do stay alert, just as we do in the States. We do not stay near the border and we do not drive at night.

Surf that forum and you'll feel better.

Rolly

Sep 23, 2009, 7:18 AM

Post #5 of 14 (8900 views)

Shortcut

You said "I have a ton of questions about customs, permits, licenses, visas..."

You can find answers to most of your questions here.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Sep 23, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #6 of 14 (8895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Planning RV trip to Tulum

Hello,

Somebody here has mentioned that Matamoros is not a friendly city for large RV's. Absolutely right.

But if you cross at Los Indios, (I agree with the previous recommendation) it will not be necessary to hit Matamoros at all. Just continue straight on south, over the overpass which goes under you to Matamoros and continue straight on to Valle Hemoso where you will go straight on through the center of the City (quite a few semaphores but stay out of the left lane where traffic is turning left) and just as you are leaving the city on your right is a large hotel with a good restaurant. Just south of there you will run into the Check Point. and from there on to Tampico is clear sailing. Depending on what time you leave the frontier you might want to stay overnight on the outskirts of Cd. Victoria or later of Tampico but if you are making good time you might want to try for Tuxpam. Federal 180 has no hairpin turns and does not enter the mountains but skirts the foothills of the Sierra Madre Occidental.

Los Indios is just south of Harlingen, Texas. If you hit San Benito you have gone too far, turn back. The Exit is labeled FREE TRADE BRIDGE and I think Paso Real, and is well marked. Search this forum for Los Indios or Free Trade Bridge and you will find several postings which describe the crossing in detail.

Be sure and keep your fuel tanks filled. There are some long stretches south of Valle Hermoso where it will be off road to find a fueling station.

Have a good trip. Be sure and private e mail Ed and Fran? in Tuxpam for driving directions.

jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 23, 2009, 8:16 AM)

Geos

Sep 23, 2009, 4:11 PM

Post #7 of 14 (8837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Planning RV trip to Tulum

You guys (male & female) are incredible! A goldmine of information. Just want to say thanks before my next barrage of questions.

Geos

Sep 23, 2009, 8:24 PM

Post #8 of 14 (8813 views)

Shortcut

My friend informs me I can ship my RV on a ferry from Tampa for about $700. That might be a better idea that driving 1000 mi thru MX. I can't seem to find any current info on it. Has anyone here used it?

yucatandreamer

Sep 23, 2009, 9:38 PM

Post #9 of 14 (8803 views)

Shortcut

This has been a rumor and daydream for the last six years at least. There may actually have been a ferry that made one or two trips, but even that could have been wishful thinking. I am sure you will be fine driving down.

esperanza

Sep 23, 2009, 10:11 PM

Post #10 of 14 (8796 views)

Shortcut

Geos, I'm afraid that your friend is incorrect. There is no ferry that leaves from Tampa or anywhere on the east coast of the USA to come to the east coast of Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tepetapan

Sep 24, 2009, 5:59 AM

Post #11 of 14 (8775 views)

Shortcut

Banditos on the Gulf Coast?? That must be a joke....
You need to spend a bit of time researching this great trip you are planning. try Woodalls RV forumhttp://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/66.cfm and Church´s page http://www.rollinghomes.com/mlinks.htm I put 40´ plus RV´s with a tow in my place all the time.
Spend some time on the RV forums, learn the facts, come on down and enjoy Mexico.

Geos

Sep 24, 2009, 5:03 PM

Post #12 of 14 (8714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Planning RV trip to Tulum

There's a cargo ferry that goes from Medley, FL to Cancun among other places.

http://www.hydeshipping.com/main.asp#rates_request

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #13 of 14 (8710 views)

Shortcut

For cargo - containerized cargo - not for people, vehicles etc.

jerezano

Sep 24, 2009, 7:38 PM

Post #14 of 14 (8699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Planning RV trip to Tulum

Hello,

>>>>>>>>>>>For cargo - containerized cargo - not for people, vehicles etc<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Of course you could ship the RV in a container if they have containers that large. Expensive? Probably more expensive than the cost of fuel driving down. What did you buy an RV for if not to drive?

Relax. Crossing at Los Indios and then that coastal drive on Highway 180 is a piece of cake. Pan comido here in México. Again, private message Ed and Fran for instructions. Search here by user name. Your first problem will be how to get around Tampico to go on south. They can give you detailed block by block. mile by mile information from the border as far south as Tuxpam, Veracruz. And probably farther south.

Once across the frontier and into Mexico proper you need not worry at all about the violence created by narcotraffic at the border. Even there at the frontier, if you meet any "bandidos" it will be by accident or an act of God.

I highly recommend that you get information from people who have driven that route. If this is your first drive into Mexico you will find that signaling on the highways is mostly nonexistent. And when you approach a city it disappears completely.

And by all means buy your Guía Roji before you come. Available on the Internet. You say you will be using Microsoft Streets etc. Good, but don't put too much trust in it. Back it up with the Atlas.

Price of gasoline and diesel is the same all over México. Better ask somebody about diesel prices per gallon. Also worry about tolls on cuota highways. For your rig they will be expensive. The good thing about the route from Los Indios south via the coast is that you probably won't encounter any toll charges until Tuxpam. Although I hear that there might be a cuota available south from Tampico.

Quit worrying and relax. This is a vacation isn't it?

Hasta pronto, jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4