Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

JeanMoc

Sep 20, 2009, 11:55 AM

Post #1 of 21 (26444 views)

Shortcut

high speed internet

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is the fastest internet speed available at Lakeskide (Ajijic) and what are the upload/download speeds? Who supplies it and what does it cost?

We will be moving full-time into our home there in November, and my husband spends hours surfing the net, so it is very important to him. He spent years on dial-up in Alaska, but a year and a half in Silicon Valley has badly spoiled him! Any information will be appreciated.

Jean_S

Sep 20, 2009, 3:50 PM

Post #2 of 21 (26411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JeanMoc] high speed internet

That depends on where you live at Lakeside.

In some areas where there is cable, you can get up to 6 mbps for about 400 pesos.

If in an area with no cable internet then you are on Telmex at 2 mpbs at a cost of 600 pesos.

The other option is Lagunanet, but I can't remember their speeds and I'm sure Pete will see this and comment.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 20, 2009, 5:10 PM

Post #3 of 21 (26398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean_S] high speed internet

Like Jean wrote, it depends upon where you live. Where I live I get good lagunanet and good Telmex. The trouble is I am at the very end of the coverage area for cable, and where I live cable is down quite often. There are certain areas in La Christina where Lagunanet isn't the best choice. There are areas where Telmex doesn't give good coverage.

Cybercable's download speeds vary from 512 kb to 6 megs down with upload speeds of about 1/3rd of that. Their maximum charge is $449 plus another $50 for the modem http://www.telecable.net.mx/ then left click on the internet.

Telmex's Infinitum has download speeds of "hasta" or up to 1 and 2 megs and much slower upload speeds of up to 128 and 256 kb/sec. The charge between $389 and $999 pesos per month but also includes telephone. See http://www.telmex.com/...imites-comparar.html for more information.

Laguna also has 1 and 2 meg download speeds with upload speeds of about 1/3 of that. Their rates vary from $25 to $60 US per month. For more information, check out the following English language URL. www.laguna.com.mx

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 20, 2009, 5:10 PM)

RickS

Sep 20, 2009, 6:24 PM

Post #4 of 21 (26387 views)

Shortcut

It should also be pointed out to the OP that Lagunanet is Wifi.... line of sight wireless. As such, one must also purchase an antenna, generally a tall mast (pole)and some installation help. It is, therefore, the most expensive option up front.... costing $450 US.

This is not a criticism of their service but something she should consider 'before ordering'.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 20, 2009, 6:47 PM)

bournemouth

Sep 20, 2009, 6:34 PM

Post #5 of 21 (26379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] high speed internet

The 999 peso service from Telmex provides speeds of up to 4 megs. The Telmex packages also include the phone line, a limited number of locals calls and all but the minimum packages provice unlimited long distance calling in Mexico. Calls to cell phones are not included in that.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 20, 2009, 6:44 PM

Post #6 of 21 (26377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] high speed internet

Bournmouth. I had done my homework, and even visited Telmex last month and at that time confirmed that the $999 connection was only 2 megs. So when I saw your post about 4 megs, I immediately went on line to

http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/paquetes/paquete-acerques-comparar.html like I have on many occasions in the past. Why? Because I knew you were wrong :) YOU WERE CORRECT. They have gone to 4 megs! COOL. Sometimes being wrong is good :)

Thanks for correcting me :)

JeanMoc

Sep 21, 2009, 12:18 PM

Post #7 of 21 (26307 views)

Shortcut

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate the quick responses, and we're happier knowing what to expect.

We're at the top of Juarez...don't know if that clarifies the boundary issues?

For someone who is always "on", does it seem necessary to have both wifi and cable? Which seems to be the more reliable?

bournemouth

Sep 21, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #8 of 21 (26303 views)

Shortcut

Then you will be Johanson's neighbor - a source of information and answers to all your queries!

johanson / Moderator

Sep 21, 2009, 12:53 PM

Post #9 of 21 (26299 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again for correcting me Bouremouth. I'm in Seattle until Tuesday when I fly back to Ajijic. I too, am at the very top of Juarez, where both prodigy's DSL and www.laguna.com.mx come in very well, but where I experienced numerous down periods with cable internet.

I like the lagunanet wi-fi connection better. But understand, the owner there of is a friend of mine and I often give free tech support there, so I am biased.

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 21, 2009, 12:56 PM)

bournemouth

Sep 21, 2009, 1:16 PM

Post #10 of 21 (26289 views)

Shortcut

Pete - I wasn't actually correcting you - just mentioning that we can get up to 4 mgs if we are willing to pay for it. It stood to reason that as they are now giving us 2 mgs. for much less than 999 pesos, they must, but must, be giving us more for 999 pesos. Of course, it could have been that "they" were not doing any such thing but we are both delighted to find out that they are.

gmusgrave

Sep 25, 2009, 9:22 AM

Post #11 of 21 (26189 views)

Shortcut

Like Pete I was convinced that the $599 package was 1Mbps and that the $999 package was 2Mbps. I visited the Telmex web site, and indeed they have bumped both of these up to 2Mbps and 4Mbps respectively.

I did a speed test and discovered that my Paquete Acerques is still yielding onlt 1Mbps.

I went into the Telmex office this morning, and was told that this is a recent change, and they are upgrading area-by-area. They expect to be finished within a month. So those of us with existing plans should be getting a performance boost soon. Unfortunately, I believe that the upload speed is still capped at 128Kbps, but this is unconfirmed -- we will have to wait and see.

Garry Musgrave

johanson / Moderator

Sep 25, 2009, 9:39 AM

Post #12 of 21 (26180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gmusgrave] high speed internet

I have good news for you Gary. I had recently signed up for the $599 peso including IVA "paquete acerques". Because I was a new customer (I had canceled my account six months earlier)I was immediately given the Hasta 2 Mb download speed and the upload speed of up to 256 kb/sec not the 128 like in the old days.

When doing speed tests, I'm getting about 80% of the rated download speed which is normal, but I'm not getting 70 to 80% of the rated upload speed which used to be the case. Now I'm usually getting more than the rated upload speed; maybe 260 to 290 kb/sec

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net]

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 25, 2009, 11:50 AM)

bournemouth

Sep 25, 2009, 9:43 AM

Post #13 of 21 (26179 views)

Shortcut

Garry, once we signed up for the 599 package, our download and upload speeds improved that afternoon. We are getting uploads in the region of 200 now. I just ran a test on Speedtest.net, using Mexico City as our base and the results are:

1.73 mb/s download
.32 mb/s upload
.76 ping

That upload is the best I have seen.

John Shrall

Oct 16, 2009, 5:58 AM

Post #14 of 21 (25994 views)

Shortcut

While it hurts to pay the outrageous $999 peso fee to Telmex for the 4mb package I did so last week. A friend of mine in Alabama has 100mb service for $41US.

I went into the Telmex office where the process took about 10 minutes. He said that the new speed would be turned on within the next 24-48 hours. By the time I got home I could tell things were a little snappier and a speedtest confirmed the new speed level. The upload speed more than tripled from the 2mb service so that was a pleasant surprise.

gmusgrave

Oct 19, 2009, 12:42 PM

Post #15 of 21 (25934 views)

Shortcut

I got tired of waiting for the "automatic" upgrade of my Paquete Acerques 1Mbps speed to 2Mbps, so I called the Telmex customer service line. They told me that it would be upgraded for free, and that I could expect the upgrade to take effect "in a few hours." In fact, it took less than ten minutes!

The DSL modem's summary screen now says 2046 download and 382 upload (it used to say 1022 and 126).

Sure enough, when I do speed tests I am now averaging about 1700Kbps download and a shade over 300Kbps upload.

This upload speed is about triple what I used to get. This will improve my Vonage quality (from the other party's perspective) and will make my nightly off-site backups go much faster. I am very pleased with this change.

It does appear, however, that you have to specifically request the upgrade.

Garry Musgrave

Rolly

Oct 19, 2009, 1:36 PM

Post #16 of 21 (25922 views)

Shortcut

This thread prompted me to check my speed. WOW! I've been upgraded already.

Rolly Pirate

Qdebra7

Oct 21, 2009, 5:24 PM

Post #17 of 21 (25857 views)

Shortcut

We're going to be traveling around Mexico, driving from Nogales down to Puerto Vallarta, staying in San Carlos and Sayulita, and making side trips for a couple of months. We need reliable internet connection, and have heard that Telcel has a high-speed internet card that you can plug into your computer and pick up internet anywhere there is phone connection. Does anyone know if this works well and if you can use it in several states? Or do you need to buy it for a particular region? Appreciate any input on this topic!

RickS

Oct 21, 2009, 9:05 PM

Post #18 of 21 (25838 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Qdebra7] high speed internet

This does not answer your Telcel question, but there will be/are many Internet cafes in the areas you mentioned..... cheap. Many will have wireless so that you could use your laptop, as well as their hardwired computers.

yucatandreamer

Oct 22, 2009, 7:12 AM

Post #19 of 21 (25824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] high speed internet

I was hoping that someone else would answer because I am not totally sure about the 3G from Telcel. However from talking about it with snowbirds who use it at the beach outside of Merida, where there is no internet service, it requires a yearly contract and is similar in speed to dial up. It is better than nothing but expensive. I think using internet cafes and free wireless would be the way to go.

If you want to read up on it http://www.telcel.com/portal/3G/

Qdebra7

Oct 22, 2009, 1:44 PM

Post #20 of 21 (25790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] high speed internet

Going to an internet cafe is not really an option as we want to be able to work for hours at a time (most of the day) either from the house we're renting or from a hotel or car. That's why the Telcel option is our best bet. Would love to hear from people who have tried it.

chrisantelope

Oct 28, 2009, 9:59 PM

Post #21 of 21 (25679 views)

Shortcut

Hi...Jean. Thanks a lot. I found a solution for my problem from your post regarding the same question you asked. I too live in leakskide. Thanks a lot for all the members, who gave their valuable information.
[url=http://www.adlogo.co.uk]buy polo printing

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4