Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

hammoncm

Sep 12, 2009, 7:18 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4972 views)

Shortcut

distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post | Private Reply
Could someone tell me the distance in miles from Eagle Pass Texas to San Miguel de Allende?

Papirex

Sep 12, 2009, 9:21 AM

Post #2 of 17 (4961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hammoncm] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

I don't have an answer for you, but to convert KM to miles multiply the KM times point 62 ( .62). 100 KM equals 62 miles, 1000 KM equals 620 miles, etc. If you have a road map listing the distances in KM you can convert them to miles that way. When we first moved to México I used to mark the distances in miles with a pencil on our Guia Roji road maps to simplify things for me while we were driving.

If I am driving our American built car and I see a sign giving the distance to the next town in KM or a speed limit sign, I usually just multiply the kilometros times 6. It is easier to multiply times 6 in my head while I am driving. It isn't too accurate, but it gives me a good idea of the approximate distance or speed limit. I'm getting a little rusty at doing it, as we usually take our newer Mexican built van on highway trips now. It has a metric speedometer.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Riverman

Sep 12, 2009, 9:42 AM

Post #3 of 17 (4945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

Isn;t he just asking how far it is?

RickS

Sep 12, 2009, 10:19 AM

Post #4 of 17 (4933 views)

Shortcut

If I added correctly on my Guia Roji map, it is about 675 miles. The 'Table de Distancias Approximadas' says it is 684 from Pedras Negras to Guanajuato to that's probably about right. Mostly cuota.

chicois8

Sep 12, 2009, 3:35 PM

Post #5 of 17 (4914 views)

Shortcut

This site http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta
is wonderful, hit english version, state across from Eagle Pass Texas, name of town then state where SMA is and then enter SMA... 1015 KM= 609 miles....10:35 driving time and 145 pesos toll or about $11 USD.....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 12, 2009, 3:42 PM)

chicois8

Sep 12, 2009, 3:54 PM

Post #6 of 17 (4911 views)

Shortcut

Hola Papirex, I used to multiply in my head also but here is my new trick for KM to miles conversion=
just look down to your speedodometer to approxament milage, 60 MPH is across from 100KM etc. etc.
works for me...........
San Mateo, California

RickS

Sep 12, 2009, 5:05 PM

Post #7 of 17 (4897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

What a great web site! No more adding it up on the map. Thanks for sharing.

chicois8

Sep 12, 2009, 5:35 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

Not only is it great site for driving in the bottom left corner are links for prices of gas and the consumers office to report any rip offs, and the sample letter is in English...take care, Rick
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Sep 12, 2009, 5:40 PM

Post #9 of 17 (4890 views)

Shortcut

You have to be kidding! 1015 km and only $145MXP in tolls? Just drove to GDL from Santa Teresa, NM and it was $93.15 USD in tolls. Granted - a bit further but we had single tolls more than that!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chicois8

Sep 12, 2009, 7:38 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

In Reply To
You have to be kidding! 1015 km and only $145MXP in tolls? Just drove to GDL from Santa Teresa, NM and it was $93.15 USD in tolls. Granted - a bit further but we had single tolls more than that!

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...I?action=cmdSolRutas

There are many places in Mexico to travel great distances with low toll charges, from my home in Nayarit to Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca it is 1416 Km or 850 miles and the toll is 150 pesos, from Cancun to Merida it is only 315 Km or 190 miles but the tolls are 338Pesos...Thanks for tourists
San Mateo, California

Papirex

Sep 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

Post #11 of 17 (4869 views)

Shortcut

Looking down at the kilometer numbers on the speedometer in an American car is OK for knowing how fast the car is going, to obey speed limits, etc. But does no good as far as estimating distance to be traveled, etc.

A problem with our second car that is from The US is that the inner row of numbers denoting kilometers is that they are printed in a very light powder blue. In dim light at dusk, dawn, or on a very cloudy day in rain, etc. or any time I need to turn the lights on, they are invisible. The dash instrument lights hit them at an angle so that they cannot be seen no matter what angle I try to see them at.

If a person is not familiar with distances in kilometros, it might be a good idea to carry a shirt pocket calculator to convert the kilometraje to mileage on maps or road signs. I always have one with me when we travel in my laptop bag, but I never use it for calculating mileage. I have been here long enough that I just drive with traffic in town, and I know how far 100, or 800, or 1200 kilometros is. It is a different story and a problem for someone new to kilometers.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Papirex

Sep 12, 2009, 8:55 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4858 views)

Shortcut

The highway tolls are constantly increasing in México. They are supposed to be raised on a schedule, but they seem to be raised randomly on no schedule, with no advance notice. We live about 42 miles from México City, the toll on the Cuota is now $85 Pesos one way. Seven or eight years ago the toll was just $60 Pesos. They keep periodically raising it $5 Pesos at a time.

My wife and suegra make at least one round trip per month to México. That totals $170 Pesos per round trip. That is not much, but the next cajero (toll booth) is only about 20 miles south of town, where another toll must be paid to continue driving on the same road for through traffic. If a person drives all the way over to the Pacific coast on highway 95 as we do sometimes it gets expensive.

As a very rough rule of thumb, I estimate the cost of the tolls on the Cuotas on a long trip to just about equal the cost of the gasoline used, that will be too much, but if you estimate it that way you will always have enough money to pay the tolls. Just carry plenty of money. Note I said on a long trip.

Rex

RickS

Sep 12, 2009, 8:58 PM

Post #13 of 17 (4855 views)

Shortcut

"Looking down at the kilometer numbers on the speedometer in an American car is OK for knowing how fast the car is going, to obey speed limits, etc. But does no good as far as estimating distance to be traveled, etc."

I think chicois8's point was that one can use the speedometer as a 'crutch', just as you use multiplying by 6 as one. If one sees a mileage sign stating that it is 175km to somewhere, just look down at your speedometer to see that 175 km is about 100 miles. To me it is visual and easier than trying to do the math (175 X .6) in my head.... and I'm not mathematically challenged.

Of course if the sign says it is 250km to somewhere, the speedometer isn't going to be an immediate answer, but that's where one goes to the math and says, 'half of 250 is 125; look down at the speedometer and see that 125km is about 75 miles; twice 75 is 150 so the 250km distance is about 150 miles.

In the long run, we all use what works for us.... even if it's a calculator!

Papirex

Sep 12, 2009, 9:27 PM

Post #14 of 17 (4850 views)

Shortcut

You got that right Rick, we all use and invent our own shortcuts. We usually use my wife's Mexican Van on trips. There are absolutely no problems calculating distances with a metric speedometer and odometer. I call it my wife's van because she is a van person. Ever since the first mini-van was produced, she wanted one. She is on our second van now and she drives it 99% of the time.

I only drive our old Oldsmobile when she is out of town. Since the Olds seldom leaves town anymore, the are no distance calculation problems with it either, as long as the tank has gas in it, I'm good to go.

I think the distances being metric is probably more of a problem for a short term visitor than it is for those of us that live here.

Rex

chicois8

Sep 12, 2009, 10:56 PM

Post #15 of 17 (4840 views)

Shortcut

Thanks RickS, I guess I did not explain what I ment to Papirex correctly...
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Sep 13, 2009, 6:33 AM

Post #16 of 17 (4824 views)

Shortcut

Now for a more complex question: From our experience, road signs indicating distance to a city or town down the road are of questionable accuracy! In fact, between GDL and the NM border, there are no less than a dozen sign sequences where the stated distance will rise or fall with no logic (ie. 120km drive further and then it is 135km drive further and then it is 110km and so on). Obviously, there is no logic or basis in fact. This was our first trip with a GPS and it was a great deal more accurate than the road signs!

As far as speed limits go, from our experience on the cuotas to and from NM - not many pay attention to the speed limits! On this latest trip, it was our guess that most all of the Federales were working checkpoints or some other duty relating to the war on drugs as we saw virtually NONE of them patrolling the cuotas.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Sep 13, 2009, 6:38 AM)

Papirex

Sep 13, 2009, 11:12 AM

Post #17 of 17 (4802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] distance in miles from EaglePassTexas to San Miguel de Allende

You are right about the inaccuracy of many road signs Niel. I usually consider the distances on them as a suggestion, not as fact.

You are right about the speed limits being generally ignored too, but if a cop wants some extra money he is more likely to stop a foreign plated car than a Mexican plated car so it is prudent for an ex-pat to try to drive at, or near the speed limit posted when driving a foreign plated car if possible, especially in or near cities where many patrol cars are usually. Here in Cuernavaca highway 95 runs through town. I often see many Transito police patrolling on it from here to México City which is only 42 miles from here.

Knowing the local traffic laws can be important too. Traffic rules are different in México. On a four lane highway, the right lane is supposed to be used exclusively by trucks. On a six lane highway, the far right lane is supposed to be used exclusively by trucks, the center lane is for general traffic, and the far left lane is supposed to be used for passing only. In practice, those rules are generally ignored, but if you see a police car behind you, and you are driving a foreign plated car, it is safest to be sure you are in the correct lane.

If a cop does stop you on a false charge always argue with him, you will always win as long as you don't start being insulting or yelling. The cop just wants some money, if you dispute him, he will give you a warning not to do what you didn't do again. He will want to go on and stop another sap that will shove a fistful of money at him.

One of the best things we did down here was to nationalize both of our original vehicles and get Mexican license plates on them. The myths about higher insurance and taxes are negligible.

Rex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4