Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

mexliving

Sep 5, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5128 views)

Shortcut

guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

Can't Post | Private Reply
i caught the last seconds of the spanish news..... heard something in regards to guaymas/hermosillo highway closed due to storms... does anyone know if its the main north/south highway to and from the border?????

bournemouth

Sep 5, 2009, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

The area has been devastated but the highway between Hermosillo and Guaymas has reopened and I think that you can get through south of the Guaymas area now too.

If you visit these two local forums for the area, you can see photos/videos and get an idea of the damage 28 inches or so of rain have wrought in the area. We read on a Caborca newspaper on line that 72,000 people are homeless at the moment. The surprising thing to me is how little coverage this is getting:

http://vivasancarlos.com/bulletin/index.html

http://sancarlosmx.mywowbb.com/forum1/

Ustlach

Sep 24, 2009, 10:49 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

I go down to San Carlos, a fishing village on the north side of Guaymas, from here in Hermosillo, twice a month, via Mexican Hwy 15.

My friends in San Carlos do not know, even today, if the road to and from Hermosillo is open and driveable. So, I did not go down there yesterday, as was my plan.

I have been away from here for most of the past two months. I have not read anything recently in the local newspaper about the highways. And no one I know here has gone that way to be able to tell me from first-hand experience.

I think I will give it another month or so before venturing down that way, prepared to turn back if the road is still not useable.

If anyone out there has actual knowledge about the road, I would appreciate hearing about it.

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2009, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

Ustlach - go over to Viva San Carlos and read the web board there. People are coming and going - water is still a bit spotty and there is still a diversion around the hole in the carretera in San Carlos but a temporary surface is being put on it at this moment. People are reporting few holdups on the main road down from Hermosillo.

The damage in surrounding villages has been devastating - you will see on th web board the amount of money raised and the amount needed to aid people.

RickS

Sep 24, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

"People are reporting few holdups on the main road down from Hermosillo."

I presume you are referring to 'traffic delays' and not banditos ..... ;>)

bournemouth

Sep 24, 2009, 3:17 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] guaymas/hermosillo (did storm close highway?)

Take your pick Rick! (really, I meant delays!).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4