esperanza

Sep 3, 2009, 12:39 PM

Post #1 of 8 (6957 views)

Shortcut

Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yesterday's news from Morelia:

http://apnews.myway.com/...90903/D9AFH8UG0.html

In addition to the three government officials and one civilian killed, two other passengers in the combi were injured.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 3, 2009, 12:40 PM)

wearechange

Sep 30, 2009, 10:00 AM

Post #2 of 8 (6722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

Greetings everyone! New member here. Regarding safety in the state just remember that regardless where you are keep your head up and constantly be aware of your surroundings. wearechange.org

judithnpups

Sep 30, 2009, 11:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

In Morelia, it just might be a better idea to keep your head down.
Judith in the DF (formerly in Morelia)

wearechange

Oct 1, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #4 of 8 (6645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [judithnpups] Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

So very true!

Peter

Oct 1, 2009, 3:21 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

Morelia had a nice parade yesterday in grand scale that was relatively uneventful violence-wise, as in the past. Very enjoyableand nice to see it was mostly back to normal, though the parade lacked the numerous school marching bands from all over the state of Michoacán. That's a wise precaution in my opinion.

There were, though, a couple knuckle-heads driving down Tata Vasco around the corner from me, that the police caught, that were driving and shooting their gun. I didn't hear the shots specifically with all the fireworks but did see the police later measuring distances and saw bullet marks in the sidewalk. To add to the stupidity of such actions, these guys chose the area where the police and army were placing baracades for staging the parade. It was very early in the morning and they were caught. I don't think anyone was injured, except hopefully these knot-heads as the police took them into custody.

esperanza

Oct 1, 2009, 3:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Safety in Michoacán, Part Two

In Reply To
Morelia had a nice parade yesterday in grand scale that was relatively uneventful violence-wise, as in the past. Very enjoyableand nice to see it was mostly back to normal, though the parade lacked the numerous school marching bands from all over the state of Michoacán. That's a wise precaution in my opinion.

There were, though, a couple knuckle-heads driving down Tata Vasco around the corner from me, that the police caught, that were driving and shooting their gun. I didn't hear the shots specifically with all the fireworks but did see the police later measuring distances and saw bullet marks in the sidewalk. To add to the stupidity of such actions, these guys chose the area where the police and army were placing baracades for staging the parade. It was very early in the morning and they were caught. I don't think anyone was injured, except hopefully these knot-heads as the police took them into custody.

*Ahem*--the drunks who tried to crash the barricades were not shooting guns.

The police shot at the drunks. One of the drunks was wounded by gunshot and two were injured by blows.

One policeman had bruises on his legs from being smashed up against the barricade.

All this according to last night's Quadratín and this morning's La Voz de Michoacán.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Brian

Oct 1, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #7 of 8 (6580 views)

Shortcut

This event in which some drunks tried to break through security cordons and were shot by police can be seen in a national context. This year is seeing an even greater number of assasination attempts upon police officers than in the past. The narcos strategy is to kill officers in jurisdictions where the police administrative leadership is strong and to try to force a "calling off of the dogs" by chiefs committed to Calderon's war on drug cartels. These guys were apparently just a few stupid drunks but the police response is indicative of the jumpiness the police are feeling about their personal safety. In Tijuana, where 40 police have been killed in the past two years, a new order has come down from the chief essentially saying that officers should shoot first and ask questions later. He is tired of seeing his staff killed and injured and wants to see the pain inflicted on the bad guys. This is a very dangerous phenomenon and it is fraught with all kinds of Human Rights abuse issues. Anyway, the drunks are lucky they were not killed...this time.

Tirar a matar! This is scary.

http://afntijuana.info/blog/?p=18459

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Oct 1, 2009, 7:47 PM)

Peter

Oct 2, 2009, 6:03 AM

Post #8 of 8 (6545 views)

Shortcut

Thank you, Esperanza. My neighbors were trying to piece together what happened and the authorities were not giving details at that time. I saw bullet holes in the sidewalk and was ready to believe about anything I was being told. I finally saw the incident in newscasts later but still didn't catch the gist of the whole thing, I do a lot better when I can read the report. Never a dull moment in Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4