Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

dleach

Aug 24, 2009, 4:14 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8498 views)

Shortcut

Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I recently read about the periferico being extended eastward to now connect to Zapotlanejo so that it's no longer necessary to go though Guadalajara to get to Zapotlanejo to then get onto the cuota.
Has anyone tried this new route? Where do you get on? Is it well-marked to get to Zapotlanejo? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to head NOB.
Thanks
David

Georgia

Aug 26, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

I asked an airport taxi driver recently about this very topic. The road connects to the Guad-Chapala highway just past the airport as you are going north. It takes you around Zapotlanejo and connects to the highway to Lagos de Moreno .... according to the taxi driver, who would seem to be a reliable source.

tashby

Aug 26, 2009, 5:56 PM

Post #3 of 9 (8413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

That's what I've "heard" too, though from less reliable sources than an airport taxi.

This I can offer firsthand: Driving into Guadalajara northbound on the Chapala highway about ten days ago, I noticed a big yellow sign (temporary banner) that read "Zapotlanejo Libre" a bit north of the airport exit. That must be the road.

dleach

Aug 27, 2009, 5:24 AM

Post #4 of 9 (8389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

Thanks. Late next week I will check it out and let everyone know.
David

stevebrtx

Sep 6, 2009, 3:38 PM

Post #5 of 9 (8291 views)

Shortcut

I took a nice Sunday drive today and the new road starts out gorgeous, 6 lanes wide and hardly any traffic and that's when it hit me, if this actually takes you somewhere, like the couta, how come no traffic and absolutely no trucks? So, about 7 miles of scenic countryside later it dumps you on the old Guad libre that comes in from the SE. The junction is almost at the El Salto turn off and very near the La Canada restaurant.

Now, if you turn left back toward Guad you'll get to a Tonala turnoff within a few miles and might be worth the few extra miles rather than the typical route. Turn right and you spend another 6 or more miles of tortured typical Mexican highways through small villages and stretches of topes and then finally some good road into Zapotlanejo. The town was busy and bustling and it was an interesting Sunday drive.

Is it on my top 50 ways to get to the cuota next month when I head for TX? - absolutely NOT. It's quintessential Mexico, a good idea half done.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

dleach

Sep 8, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #6 of 9 (8203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

Unfortunately stevebrtx is absolutely correct. I ended up taking this route at 5:15 in the morning last Thursday. It started out fabtastic...then at the end of 7 miles, it wasn't only old road, but road with numerous construction detours. Very hard to see in the dark. Bottomline: It took me 37 minutes to cover 21 miles, including 2 stops to ask directions (my wife would have been proud). Stick with the old route.

Jalisco Realtor

Oct 24, 2009, 11:07 AM

Post #7 of 9 (7930 views)

Shortcut

Wouldn't it still be significantly faster taking the new route, taking a left at the end of the 7 miles, and then taking the Tonala turnoff to get onto the Cuota? Sounds like a very appealing way to avoid Guad traffic, even if you back track a little bit to get on the Cuota. Just curious, I haven't tried it myself.

JR

dleach

Oct 26, 2009, 8:17 AM

Post #8 of 9 (7834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jalisco Realtor] Periferico Extension to Zapotlanejo

I haven't been able to see a new Guia Roji to know what happens at the endo of the 7-mile stretch. I looked but couldn't find the new road on the map. Might have been looking in the wrong place.

bournemouth

Oct 26, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #9 of 9 (7830 views)

Shortcut

As the road just opened, I think it will be an edition or two before it appears in Guia Roji.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4