Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

grox13

Aug 25, 2009, 10:07 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2942 views)

Shortcut

A week in Baja. Crossing at TJ in my car. What documentation do I need?

Can't Post | Private Reply
My Mexican wife gets to go home for the first time sense we were married in July 2008! For us, the immigration procedure was quick and painless and now, we finally have the chance to visit family and friends in Mexico.

However, I'm not sure what documentation we'll need to cross the border in our car and spend a week in and around the Northern Baja.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

(This post was edited by grox13 on Aug 25, 2009, 10:39 AM)

Huchepo

Aug 25, 2009, 9:34 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grox13] A week in Baja. Crossing at TJ in my car. What documentation do I need?

Greg, Baja is a zona fronteriza, so coming into Baja from CA, you won't need to show any id per se. It would be wise to check with your car insurer to see if it covers you in Baja, some US plans include coverage within a certain distance from the border. If not, you can purchase a temporary coverage plan in san ysidro. Going back to the states, your wife will need to have her B1 visa and passport with her, and you will need your passport. Although I have been told that many people are still just crossing into the states with their CA driver's license, you should have your passport or the new passport card with you.

BajaGringo

Aug 26, 2009, 10:40 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grox13] A week in Baja. Crossing at TJ in my car. What documentation do I need?

Bring your US passport and your wife's passport / laser visa. Make sure your car has current registration (some Baja cops look for expired tags as an excuse to stop), car insurance to cover you in Mexico and plans to have a good time. Congratulations on getting your wife's paperwork done!

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

grox13

Aug 27, 2009, 9:41 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] A week in Baja. Crossing at TJ in my car. What documentation do I need?

Thanks guys! All seems pretty simple.

chicois8

Aug 28, 2009, 9:03 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2810 views)

Shortcut

Congratulations, I believe you should have an FMT since your stay is more than 72 hours ( changes frequently) and if you read the fine print in your auto insurance there probably is a clause addressing this subject...suerte
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4