Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

BellaLoreto

Aug 23, 2009, 8:46 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5307 views)

Shortcut

Boat part import with Temp Veh permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
We live in Loreto and will be bringing some pricey stuff down from the states soon for our boat. We imported the boat 4 years ago. Will there by any hassle at the border over not paying duties on the boat parts? Any recommendations as to what to have on hand for the border folk to peruse?
Thanks,
Karen B.

ncferret

Aug 23, 2009, 10:50 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BellaLoreto] Boat part import with Temp Veh permit

The true answer is that you never know what will happen at the border. I know folks that have done many trips back and forth and brought down very expensive items, yet never paid duty. Others have been hassled for small items like a laptop (which is allowed). Customs just went through a big shake up 2 weeks ago and supposedly the new customs officials are going to be fairly strict enforcing the rules - as they should be. Bring the original invoices of what you are importing. That will help the customs officials determine the correct tax.

BajaGringo

Aug 23, 2009, 11:16 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5288 views)

Shortcut

How big are these parts???

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

BellaLoreto

Aug 23, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5284 views)

Shortcut

With the temp boat permit (good for 10 years & we're in yr 4), you're supposed to be completely exempt from import duties at all on parts for the boat. Just wondered if anyone else was getting unfairly charged.

BellaLoreto

Aug 23, 2009, 11:25 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5283 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Boat part import with Temp Veh permit

Not too big ... new frig for boat, anchor chain, zincs, misc stuff.

BajaGringo

Aug 23, 2009, 11:31 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5280 views)

Shortcut

IMHO, your best bet would be to cross it with a couple of Tijuana locals in the vehicle with you. The duty free limit is higher for nationals and is accumulative per vehicle. With some advanced notice I can help you out if you cross at San Ysidro / Otay.

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

MazGuy

Sep 4, 2009, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Boat part import with Temp Veh permit

A couple of years ago I arranged for a friend to bring down an exhaust manifold for my MerCruiser engine. When she arrived at the airport the Auduana official informed me that if I wanted to import my part duty free it would have to be sent down to the main office and I could explain to them why it should be allowed to be imported.

Knowing full well that almost anything could happen to it in transit to the main office, I relented an paid a 15% customs duty fee on the amount shown on my receipt from the supplier.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4