Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Axixic

Aug 20, 2009, 11:45 AM

Post #51 of 83 (16334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Using PayPal for funds transfer

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm planning to use a PayPal debit card and send money from my U.S. bank account to the PayPal account. Then using the PayPal debit card I can withdraw money at any ATM. The charge to do that is a $1 PayPal charge and whatever the local ATM charges. That's better than the $3-$6 I'm being charged now by my bank. My original bank has been taken over by another and the ATM fees are ridiculous. It's also is a safety measure. The new bank changed debit cards and I didn't get mine. I went about 2 weeks without a card. If I have a PayPal account, I can have money in it and withdraw that money. I don't have enough to spread around to several banks and I'm not transferring money to a Mexican bank with PayPal.

The "hidden" fees are the fees I read about at the PayPal website. Those fees, as the writer said, are for business accounts. I'm not running a business nor expecting any payments.

As far as exchange rate, from what I've read the PayPal exchange rate is higher than some banks but I guess I won't know until I try it.

normamc288

Aug 20, 2009, 1:22 PM

Post #52 of 83 (16325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

I bank with USAA and the do charge a service charge but the next month they replace it in your acct.

Axixic

Aug 20, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #53 of 83 (16323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [normamc288] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

If someone is not active or retired military, can he/she bank at USAA? I don't think so.

normamc288

Aug 20, 2009, 2:00 PM

Post #54 of 83 (16318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PamelaDelafield] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

You used to have to be or have been an officer. USAA is now open to the public.

Axixic

Aug 20, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #55 of 83 (16305 views)

Shortcut

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=become_member_eligibility

Non-military are not eligible.

normamc288

Aug 20, 2009, 4:33 PM

Post #56 of 83 (16294 views)

Shortcut

Everyone, military or not, can open bank accounts. You have to be in the military to get the insurance. But banking is open to anyone.

joaquinx

Aug 20, 2009, 7:50 PM

Post #57 of 83 (16266 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Everyone, military or not, can open bank accounts. You have to be in the military to get the insurance. But banking is open to anyone.

Who is eligible?

* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
* Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated on or after 01/01/1996.
* Former USAA members who had auto or property insurance.
* Children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1

This is from their web site. normamc288, you got a link that shows a different eligibility.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson

Aug 20, 2009, 8:31 PM

Post #58 of 83 (16259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

I can't speak as to who is qualified or not but I have been a proud member of USAA since 1961. their rates are great. If you qualify, check them out. In my case, their rates have always been lower than the competition. I use them for car and condo insurance in the US. Now if they only gave coverage in Mexico where I live 3/4 of the time.

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 20, 2009, 8:35 PM)

normamc288

Aug 21, 2009, 4:51 AM

Post #59 of 83 (16227 views)

Shortcut

That website that you copied is for insurance. Only military are eligible. However, as I said, and I will search it out, anyone can get a bank account with USAA. I'll go look right now, or you could go to www.usaa.com and check it out.

joaquinx

Aug 21, 2009, 5:41 AM

Post #60 of 83 (16225 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
That website that you copied is for insurance. Only military are eligible. However, as I said, and I will search it out, anyone can get a bank account with USAA. I'll go look right now, or you could go to www.usaa.com and check it out.

I believe that ole normamc288 is pulling our leg.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

normamc288

Aug 21, 2009, 6:06 AM

Post #61 of 83 (16221 views)

Shortcut

Oh my gosh, I am so frustrated. I will call them in a minute.......just called and yes, you can sign up even on the internet and get banking.........checking, savings, etc. You can even deposit your checks from your home on the internet. They are really good........as I said, first of every month all of your ATM fees are reimbursed. I've banked with them since 1986 and never had a problem. I did semi-check out their home page but I could not see where you could sign but I promise you, "I am not pulling your leg..." :)

normamc288

Aug 21, 2009, 6:11 AM

Post #62 of 83 (16220 views)

Shortcut

and, by the way, how did you know I was old????? Bingo!!! In years, yes, in my mind, no...You did make me smile, thanks

tepetapan

Aug 21, 2009, 6:14 AM

Post #63 of 83 (16219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Using PayPal for funds transfer

I use Paypal on a regular basis and the time from requesting money to recieving it at the bank has gotten down to about 3 days. Im not sure why it comes so fast but it may be because it is a regular (once or twice a month) transaction or it may have to do with the form my wife completed at the Banamex, expaining the reason why, where the US dollars are coming from... Since we do business in tourism we can exchange dollars anytime at the bank with no restrictions.

Axixic

Aug 21, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #64 of 83 (16191 views)

Shortcut

Normamc288, did you ask USAA if someone not connected to the military in any way can join? The website states that there must be a military connection to bank with them. It is not an insurance link stating the qualifications on the USAA website.

I'd love to bank with USAA but I can't find where I would be eligible. There might be people who lied and joined because I doubt USAA asks for military relationship proof, but I'd rather not lie to them.

normamc288

Aug 21, 2009, 1:58 PM

Post #65 of 83 (16180 views)

Shortcut

Pamela, oh my gosh, I was beginning to think I was a wacko. I just called USAA back again. Yes you can join, no you do not have to mention the word military. The only semi-problem is you have to call them first and get them to give you a Member #. Their phone number is 1-800-531-2265. Tell them you want to bank with them and get your member number and then you choose a pin # and you are all set, you can do it on the internet. They really are a wonderful bank. One day the ATM at Gigante stole my card. Usaa worked to get the solution. I think they only return $15. a month in service charges though.
Good luck and thanks for being so patient with me. Norma

Vince3n

Aug 22, 2009, 6:30 PM

Post #66 of 83 (16147 views)

Shortcut

You are correct, it is no longer to be a present or former military personnel to be able to joint USAA Federal Credit Union. But before you do, you may want to review its members comments about their customers service here: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/4256135094

Vince

Axixic

Aug 23, 2009, 7:35 PM

Post #67 of 83 (16107 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vince3n] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

Those are love stories compared to what people have written about my former bank that was bought out by Chase. The WaMu happy customers started websites to blast WaMu and ran out of words to express their hatred.

normamc288

Aug 24, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #68 of 83 (16071 views)

Shortcut

Some persons just love to complain. As I said, I have been w/USAA since 1986. Never had a problem. They did make me mad once when I asked to borrow $12,000. on my signature. They said NO but they did give me $8000. And they were astounding when the ATM in Gigante in Mazatlan ate my card. Long story but they fixed my problem. I have been living and travelling in Mexico for 35 years. Always used my ATM and only that one problem. Ah well,,,,,

normamc288

Aug 24, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #69 of 83 (16062 views)

Shortcut

I did check some of the member's complaints at the website you noted. The majority were just complaining about the ins. and cost of ins., etc. Those other problems could and do happen at any bank. With USAA, millions are happy and the "one or two" are grumpy. Not too bad for such a huge bank. And, missing one car ins. payment does not cause them to close a person's acct. Three late payments do cause them to cancel you. People who are angry and gripy tend to exagerrate as I am sure you have noticed. I highly recommend USAA.

Vince3n

Aug 24, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post #70 of 83 (16057 views)

Shortcut

There is no question about how bad Wamu was, I have a horror history to tell about them too. But I leave it for some other time.

As far as USAA Federal CU, I just wanted to present a somewhat balance view from the not-so-happy users, that was all.

Disclosure : I am a member of USAA with no complaints.

Vince

normamc288

Aug 26, 2009, 11:35 AM

Post #71 of 83 (16004 views)

Shortcut

Hey Vince, I knew exactly what you were doing and I love that. I always want to hear both sides then I can make my own decision. Just writing now because I learned a wonderful thing 5 min. ago at Chase. They took over WAMU. Anyway, you have to pay 1%but a minimum of $3.00 for ATM fees. Not good. However, they have a parternership with Banorte. So, since I use Chase too, 5 times a month you can call the 800#, free even in Mexico and tell them you want to transfer so much from your acct. in USA to Banorte, go to Banorte with proof of who you are and get your money, free of charge. Another alternative for ATM users. Norma

Axixic

Sep 6, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #72 of 83 (15936 views)

Shortcut

I missed your update, normamc288. I looked at the Banorte website but I can't find locations. Is there a Banorte in the Lakeside area or do you know?

mexliving

Sep 6, 2009, 2:57 PM

Post #73 of 83 (15932 views)

Shortcut

i think i already mentioned it.... i have a bank of america account and use the scotia bank atm..... the machine lists a bank fee of 7.25 pesos for 3,000 pesos withdrawal...

on my online activity there are no extra fees......except once in a while if i use atm too many times in the month

bournemouth

Sep 6, 2009, 3:32 PM

Post #74 of 83 (15926 views)

Shortcut

There do not appear to be an Lakeside locations - see here:

http://www.banorte.com/portal/banorte.portal?_nfpb=true&portlet_67_1_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2Flocalizer%2Fbranch%2FsearchBranch&_windowLabel=portlet_67_1

judithnpups

Sep 6, 2009, 4:49 PM

Post #75 of 83 (15918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Avoiding bank fees for ATM withdrawals

I believe the 7.25% charge is charged only if you are using the ATM card from another MEXICAN bank at the Scotia or Santander ATM machines, not your Bank of America card.
Judith in the DF (formerly in Morelia)

(This post was edited by judithnpups on Sep 6, 2009, 4:50 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4