Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

viktoremski

Mar 26, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 23 (16096 views)

Shortcut

Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Can't Post | Private Reply
This is regarding your concerns about food or water safety, expressed in another thread.
If you become sick, you can try this remedy to get well quickly, and avoid possible serious complications that might result from prolonged food poisoning:
Drink half a glass of (clean/boiled) water with 6-8 drops of 5% Lugol's solution (Iodine formulated for internal use). Repeat it again after a few hours, if needed. Lugol's solution used to be available at US pharmacies, but no more - some people were making illegal drugs out of it. However, you can still order it online in a 1 oz bottle.
By the way, same solution, just a little bit stronger, can be used to gargle throat and irrigate nostrils at the first signs of cold or flu.
Make sure first that you are not allergic to Iodine.
Once your food poisoning goes away, follow up with probiotics.

keith

Mar 26, 2009, 1:18 PM

Post #2 of 23 (16077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

That's a new on for me.

I suppose by "food/water poisoning" you mean "tourista" or the shits. Best advice is probably still "don't get dehydrated."

wendy devlin

Mar 26, 2009, 2:48 PM

Post #3 of 23 (16058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [keith] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

New to me too.
Always interested in time-honored remedies that 'work'.
Appears from a brief internet search, that Lugol's remedy was being utilized in the illegal manufacture of meth.
So in 2007, was withdrawn from the U.S. market. Says that this iodine product is still available in Mexico and Canada.

Just getting over a cold/flu that might have allowed putting this remedy to an immediate personal test.

There is a wide family of gastro-enteric organisms, causing a number of complaints/illnesses.
I try not to mix up up the information as to what conditions are usually self-limiting, and others for which, the signs and symptoms dictate a more active intervention or collaboration. Depending on your mind-set.

Mereja

Mar 27, 2009, 10:28 PM

Post #4 of 23 (15956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Grapefruit seed extract is a remedy that I take with me to Mexico every time I go. It's legal, inexpensive, and works great. It tastes pretty bad but if mixed with soda or juice it is drinkable and works wonders. I drink a little every morning and can anything I want when I am in Mexico.

http://www.geocities.com/...4415/grapefruit.html

Hound Dog

Mar 28, 2009, 3:42 PM

Post #5 of 23 (15901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Grapefruit seed extract is a remedy that I take with me to Mexico every time I go. It's legal, inexpensive, and works great. It tastes pretty bad but if mixed with soda or juice it is drinkable and works wonders. I drink a little every morning and can anything I want when I am in Mexico.

I am sorry, Mereja but this is not a smart assed question. You can "what---anything when you are in Mexico? If you mean to say that you can "consume" anything in Mexico no matter how vile and filthy because you first ingested this grapefruit extract then you are making an irresponsible assertion. Who are you to misinform people you do not know in this flippant manner? Perhaps I have miread your comment. ¨Please clarify what you meant. Thank you in advance.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 28, 2009, 3:43 PM)

Glenn

Mar 30, 2009, 7:07 AM

Post #6 of 23 (15790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Hound Dog, I seem to detect some of the old attack dog in your reply. I think I recall that naive consumtion of unsanitary food in Mexico as an old hot button. I don't think Mereja was presenting this as double blinded placebo tested advice, but only as her own experience or perhaps luck. I'm happy to read your interesting posts again. Keep up the good work but watch out for those hot buttons!

Hound Dog

Mar 30, 2009, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 23 (15781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Glenn] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

A good point, Glenn. My apologies to Mareja for a´posting that sounded a bit harsh. Food poisoning among the population in general is a serious problem in Chiapas so perhaps I take the issue too seriously. I would remove any abrasive sounding language but it is too late for my editing from home. Nothing personal was intended. Maybe your remedy has merit. The Mayas used a number of plants to treat digestive ailments which you can see in the garden at the Maya Museum in San Cristóbal if you have an interest.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 30, 2009, 7:42 AM)

Papirex

Mar 30, 2009, 3:23 PM

Post #8 of 23 (15723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Yes, the potential for food poisoning should be a concern everywhere. There was a death notice posted today on The Yahoo group site for Cuernavaca for a 42 year old American man that died in a local hospital from septic shock caused by complications from food poisoning.

I did not know the man, but he was apparently in good health. If unsafe food can bring down a relatively young man like that, we old guys should always be alert and take no chances. It's common sense folks.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

viktoremski

Mar 31, 2009, 9:22 AM

Post #9 of 23 (15662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

To Papirex:
You are so right. Food poisoning can become a very serious problem. Even if you don't die from a septic shock, untreated food poisoning may lead to infections in other parts of your body like heart, liver, brain, joints, and other tissues. It's called reactive arthritis or Reiter's syndrom, and it can ruin the rest of your life.
For that reason, I strongly believe that everyone should have a 1 oz bottle of 5% Lugol's solution available at home or while on vacation (unless you're allergic to iodine).

Mereja

Apr 2, 2009, 8:15 PM

Post #10 of 23 (15593 views)

Shortcut

I am sorry, if I assumed that most people on here don't go around consuming everything no matter how vile and filthy it is. All I know, is that in the past I always got diarhea when I went to Mexico until I found out about grapefruit seed extract. Now, I drink 10-15 drops in juice every day and do not have this problem. I am able to eat and enjoy food in Mexico without the unpleasant problem that I had before.

If you notice on the web site I was talking about, it can be used as a disinfectant that kills many different kinds of bacteria and also can be used for emergencies to disinfect water when camping. It also does not destroy the beneficial bacteria that we need in our intestines.

It says: “Traveler’s Diarrhea” can be prevented with GSE using several methods. One way is to add 2 drops in a glass of water at noon and at bedtime (mix thoroughly before drinking). If you are eating out, mix 3 - 4 drops in your beverage if what you are drinking has not been boiled just prior to your consumption of it. If you do come down with a case of “Montezuma’s Revenge”, mix 5 - 15 drops in 5 oz. of juice or water and drink that amount 2 to 3 times daily.

I know from experience it works very well, and enjoy Mexico so much more now than before I discovered this.

Anonimo

Apr 3, 2009, 5:29 AM

Post #11 of 23 (15564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Wikipedia.org article on Grapefruit Seed Extract:
http://en.wikipedia.org/...pefruit_seed_extract

We did for a while use grapefruit seed extract derived vegetable purification drops, but when it ran out, we returned to the cheaper and reliable Microdyn.

Another beneficial prophylaxis is to take probiotic acididophilus and other lactic fermentation products daily, either in capsules or as yoghurt or in Yakult™. This has helped my wife mitigate the ill effects of contaminated food and drink, although not preventing them entirely.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Apr 5, 2009, 2:59 PM

Post #12 of 23 (15474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Well, all I know is that unless things change dramatically by tomorrow I'll be going to see the doctor.

This is my 4th or 5th round of *something* in the last year. Only once prior did I consider it serious enough to see a doctor who then prescribed some antibiotics. (I'm usually very reluctant to go that route, but it had been two weeks.) Now I'm back in that same boat and it's been two weeks again, though this episode isn't nearly as violent.

The frustrating thing for me is I don't know if I'm (repeatedly) doing something wrong, or if the episodes are somehow related to an original, recurring cause that's just hanging out in my body.

I'm tired of this. Bleh.

viktoremski

Apr 6, 2009, 12:58 PM

Post #13 of 23 (15429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Sure, you should see a doctor... although he will probably prescribe you antibiotics. Depending on what bug is in your gut, and depending on if it had been already partially treated with antibiotics by the former carrier, your antibiotic treatment may or may not help you. That is why my first choice is Lugol's Iodine.

delmaracer

Apr 8, 2009, 7:27 PM

Post #14 of 23 (15366 views)

Shortcut

I have heard that cayenne is good for GI problems and for prevention of the same. I have some that are 40,000 heat unit in a 515 MG capsule, available a many/most health food stores.
Not hot enough in Baja, hehehe
Bob

Anonimo

Apr 9, 2009, 3:45 AM

Post #15 of 23 (15342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracer] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

In Reply To
I have heard that cayenne is good for GI problems and for prevention of the same. I have some that are 40,000 heat unit in a 515 MG capsule, available a many/most health food stores.
Not hot enough in Baja, hehehe
Bob

Seems like it would be like throwing gasoline on the fire.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Hound Dog

Apr 9, 2009, 9:40 AM

Post #16 of 23 (15317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

A serious inquiry.

Why do some presume that the ingestion of highly spiced (meaning picante) foods or foods with acidic content such as limes mitigate disruptions in the digestive process? This boy loves and constantly consumes highly spicy and highly acidic foods but I came within inches of death in Chiapas because of intestinal blockages that had nothing to do with what I ate and I will tell you this. No matter what you eat, your digestive system will kill you dead unless something else kills you first no matter what you eat.

In Chiapas I thought for sure that I was on my way to see Mama once again. I love Mama but I´d as soon put that off. She´s probably pissed about something anyway as is long-dead Auntie Maudine who gave me my first enema. God, I loved and desired Auntie Maudine starting about then in 1948 as best I remember.

BluChunx

Aug 12, 2009, 1:33 PM

Post #17 of 23 (15016 views)

Shortcut

Maybe this is too basic, but some folks seem to be so sensitive to the local bugs in the water that even brushing their teeth with it puts them at risk (or is that not just some folks?) I am not that well informed on the subject yet (but had one experience while trying to do a total immersion course in Cuernavaca, oofffda). Maybe the best thing is extreme paranoia when it comes to water.

ebwilderae

Aug 13, 2009, 4:36 PM

Post #18 of 23 (14951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BluChunx] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

I don't think thats too basic; I tend to think we have rather individual systems that will react differently to the same
stimuli. A good friend used to swear by the free pure water of Erongaricuaro made available several hours a
few days each week. It was not until we stopped using this 'free' water that I and my poodle stopped our diahrea.
Later my friend became more healthy the same way; curiously her husband and my wife did not seem bothered.
When in SMA with a good case of intestinal stuff coming out both ends I went to the local pharmacist (which I
tend to do in the US in lieu of doctors care at times as well) and was given Threchop 2/2/2 thru the day for diarhea,
Bonazin 1/1/1 for vomito and Ciprain 'as your doctor prescribes' reads the box. I have read of 3 day cures but
frankly I fear anti-biotic resistant strains of bugs more than using antibiotics the way they are meant
to be used i.e. well past when you feel better so I take them six or seven days. I do believe many locals use
Yocult and its cousins to replenish flora when using antibiotics and of course they also may well have probiotic
properties as suggested by El Se~or Anonimo above. There are times when you just have to let whatever demon
is troubling you inside out and there are times to take meds that will stop the flow. Gatoraide is a cheap substitute of electolytes. I doubt I'll ever become ethereal enough to do away with the occasional use of antibiotics but I would not make
them a very steady diet either. Provecho!

gpkgto

Aug 14, 2009, 6:34 AM

Post #19 of 23 (14904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Amoebas and giardia are very common problems. No home remedy will get rid of these and a doctor visit is in order. I always check with a doctor first--in Mexico their fees are reasonable and appointments are almost always the same day. I had no idea so many prefer to self treat--why is that?

ebwilderae

Aug 14, 2009, 3:56 PM

Post #20 of 23 (14846 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Couple of thoughts on that. I got used to using pharmacists who are much more quickly available and thus far
free compared to seeing my US doc, and yes I have decent health insurance. So that is not really self-care...the
other would be that lots of folks who migrate to Mexico from the US are shy of authority in many forms...but that
is a whole nuther topic.

gpkgto

Aug 14, 2009, 4:01 PM

Post #21 of 23 (14842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ebwilderae] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Pharamcists in Mexico and elsewhere can be helpful, but if someone has watery diarrhea more than 3-4 times in one day, abdominal pain, or symptoms that continue for several days and/or worsen, a doctor is important. I have had friends (all in San Miguel, oddly enough) who have suffered serious consequences for waiting too long--including hospitalization. The problem has always been amoebas or giardia (one friend had both at the same time).

ebwilderae

Aug 14, 2009, 4:07 PM

Post #22 of 23 (14841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

Your point is well made and quite important. Not everyone has an internal meter that tells them they would prefer
'to die than keep on like this' but that is when I start the medication.

gpkgto

Aug 15, 2009, 3:17 PM

Post #23 of 23 (14791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ebwilderae] Treating Food/Water Poisoning in Mexico, or Any Other Place

From the CDC: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/travelers-diarrhea.aspx
"What is commonly known as “food poisoning” involves the ingestion of preformed toxins in food. In this syndrome, vomiting and diarrhea may both be present, but symptoms usually resolve spontaneously within 12 hours."
After 12 hours, it is time to seek help.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4