Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

holdem

Aug 10, 2009, 10:34 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3968 views)

Shortcut

Newbie-where to stay

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Guys,

We are a retired couple Moving to chapala the 1st. of Aug. 2009. Never been there, so we're doing this on a hope and prayer it's the place we have been reading about. We are planning on staying at a B&B til we can locate a rental to our liking. With the direction the country (USA) seems to be moving in we figure it's time.

Can anyone give an opinion of Ajijic Plaza Suites or Laguna B&B? We chose these because of their reasonable costs.

By the way are there any Texas holdem clubs in the area?

Thanks,

Gary

bournemouth

Aug 10, 2009, 10:59 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [holdem] Newbie-where to stay

Gary - I can't give you any personal experience reviews on the Ajijic Plaza Suites but we have stayed at Laguna B&B. We found it great value. The beds are typically Mexican hard, the linens are old but spotless. The help are delightful and the breakfast is good. You are a short walk from the plaza. It is not the kind of place for people who need their hands held, but if you are a self starter, it's a good place. It is an adjunct to a real estate office and some of the agents will come into breakfast, hoping to find a client. They are good at answering questions.

Sorry, can't help you with the poker question either but I'm sure you'll find something like that going on. The Lake Chapala Society would be a good place to check that kind of thing out.

Good luck with your venture.

holdem

Aug 11, 2009, 8:27 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Newbie-where to stay

Thanks you for the come back. It was a big help.

Gary

tashby

Aug 11, 2009, 9:27 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3899 views)

Shortcut

Another very reasonable place to stay is called Ajijic Suites. This is NOT Ajijic Plaza Suites, which is right on the square. This particular Ajijic Suites is on Hidalgo, about 2 1/2 blocks away from the plaza. I don't think breakfast is included, but the rooms do have little kitchenettes. Here's a link.

http://www.ajijicsuites.com

If "Texas Hold-'em" is played by Texans, you should have no trouble finding a game in this town.

cookj5

Aug 12, 2009, 7:52 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3849 views)

Shortcut

We stayed at Laguna B&B for 10 days when we first moved down, and it was very nice. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, and the breakfasts were delicious and filling. There is also a phone in the lobby/breakfast area where you can make free calls to the US and Canada. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there is a large bookshelf customers can access. Just to be sure, you might want to bring one or two of your favorite books. There aren't a lot of frills in the place like hairdryers in the rooms, but all the basic stuff is there and the rooms are good-sized and comfortable. Some rooms have king beds and some have twins (there are 4 bedrooms). Be sure you specify which you want.

One caveat: they lock the gates to the courtyard that leads to the B&B in the late afternoon, and the Realty office folks go home at about the same time, so if you are arriving in the evening, make arrangements with the B&B about how you are going to get in. It might help to have the home telephone of someone at the Realty office just in case. Occasionally, I have head of people getting there all jet-lagged late in the evening and finding themselves locked out. Forewarned is forearmed.

We have not stayed at Ajijic Suites (the one on Hidalgo about 3 blocks west of the plaza). However, a friend visiting us stayed there and was very pleased with the accommodations. No breakfasts, however there are any number of inexpensive breakfast places down toward the plaza. One of our favorite is the Jardin Restaurant (pronounced Har-deen), which is right on the plaza. Just look for the green umbrellas on the northeast corner of the plaza right next to the white, two-story Centro Cultural. It is relatively inexpensive, the wait-staff all speak at least some English, and the Jardin is ideally located to hang out and watch the Ajijic world go by. Also probably the number 1 spot in town to meet friends because everybody knows how to find it.

You'll find any number of friendly expats in and around the plaza and we are usually very accessible for conversation and questions. Just say hi! and introduce yourselves.

If you'd like a look at what you will find here, check out my photojournal of our adventures: http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/search/label/Ajijic

I don't know how to put an active link in this forum, so just cut and paste the URL above into your address line of our browser.

gbatrucks

Aug 15, 2009, 1:31 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3747 views)

Shortcut

I can second Laguna B&B...We stayed there on our first visit...good value, close to the plaza, etc.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4