Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

mexigrl

Aug 7, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #1 of 11 (21103 views)

Shortcut

Verizon Plan?

Can't Post | Private Reply
A few years ago I used the VZ North American plan - that was great. I know they got rid of it. However, in checking the other day with VZ they advised that they now have a plan that includes the U.S. and Mexico. The charge is only 74.99 per month for 900 minutes and they say that it includes calls between US and Mexico both ways. I asked them multiple times to make sure it includes calling FROM Mexico and they say yes.

I'm nervous about this one and wondered if anyone else has heard this yet?

It's a great deal if so!

Thanks,

Laurianne

suzsimmons

Aug 7, 2009, 11:25 PM

Post #2 of 11 (21086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] Verizon Plan?

I just converted my AT&T plan to the Verizon Nationwide Plus Mexico plan and it works great.

belgique

Aug 8, 2009, 5:46 AM

Post #3 of 11 (21071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [suzsimmons] Verizon Plan?

Here's a link to the Verizon website on it. Had not heard about this so thanks for posting. There may be some restrictions that need examining e.g. "Verizon Wireless will terminate your service for good cause if less than half of your voice calls over three consecutive billing cycles are from within the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area." Not sure what that means.

LINK

On edit: seems that this is more for folks (like us RV'ers) who visit. The termination thing would indicate that if you signed up in the states, then over half your calls would have to be made while in the states...I think. There does seem to be the ability to activate it on a monthly basis but fees might make that expensive. Also not sure about the coverage w/i Mexico. We always get a TELCEL for interior calls but maybe this would be good for checking with the kids back home.

(This post was edited by belgique on Aug 8, 2009, 6:12 AM)

Oscar2

Aug 8, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #4 of 11 (21001 views)

Shortcut

Since plans to go South in a couple of months, look good, I too got a bearing on the Verizon, Nationwide Plus Mexico plan. Currently I have one of our cells on contract with Verizon till July of 2010. My Verizon cell contract expired sometime ago but lately I’ve kept it active minimally to use only when I get to “dead spots” or “no cell reception” common with Metro PCS whereby I do unlimited calling in the US and Mexico for $43.00 a month.

In addition, since Verizon now has it where anyone can subscribe at any time and discontinue the NPM (Nationwide Plus Mexico) plan at will, this makes it desirable, as needed. If you have an old (not used) Verizon phone or can get one for a song on like Craig’s list, you can call Verizon, give them the ESN number on the old cell and they will activate the NPM subscription “without” a contract. Below is a Link to a graph of charges for the NPM services.

Someone asked and/or commented something about being terminated if within a 3 month consecutive billing cycle most of your calls are from Mexico, rather than the US, then they will terminate you. For those just visiting Mexico for less then 3 months, I believe this would be a non-issue. If your stay is usually longer, I believe an additional Mexican cell would be the way to go for local Mexican calls.

I’m considering the 1400 minute family plan for the wife and I, with the “additional” 1000 night and weekend minutes while traveling down south for $105.00 per month plus $9.95 for the additional phone. I too am curious if anyone has used this new system and a if possible a report on the results would be very much appreciated.

http://b2b.vzw.com/...ationwidemexico.html

mexigrl

Aug 8, 2009, 5:31 PM

Post #5 of 11 (20989 views)

Shortcut

Re: [suzsimmons] Verizon Plan?

Are you in Mexico now? How is the coverage? Thanks for the response....I was concerned I wasn't getting the whole story from Verizon when they told me that it covers me to call back to the US from Mexico.

Laurianne

robrt8

Aug 10, 2009, 7:57 AM

Post #6 of 11 (20916 views)

Shortcut

Coverage works pretty well in much of the bajio, BCN, and the valley of Mexico. I was 'told' it's Iusacell's network. You'll see a blinking triangle when you're on the extended network.
AT&T is now offering a similar plan, but I don't recall the name.
Sign-on to a Friends & Family plan with someone in the States if you plan to be making calls over a three month period or more.

mexigrl

Aug 10, 2009, 8:16 AM

Post #7 of 11 (20912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Verizon Plan?

So, for 74.99 a month I can call for 900 minutes within Mexico and to the U.S. from Mexico? Something still seems wrong. That is actually about the same as the cost of a plan within the U.S.

Can anyone pick up anything on this plan that seems "wrong"? I know I sound a little "paranoid" but I've had some real issues with the cell phone companies regarding Mexico over the years. Can this be true? If so, this is wonderful!

robrt8

Aug 10, 2009, 6:59 PM

Post #8 of 11 (20872 views)

Shortcut

"Plan Viva Mexico." That's the new AT&T plan. Just remembered.

You pay US$15/mo for Plus Mexico with Verizon. No mystery about it.

I'm still using both my Telcel phone to receive local calls and MagicJack --there are no minute restrictions with MJ.

peregrina

Oct 6, 2009, 6:11 PM

Post #9 of 11 (20371 views)

Shortcut

Hi. I'm peregrina / Linda
I spend winters in Mexico
I have a Verizon Family Plan in the US. I have just found out about the Verizon Nationwide Plus Mexico plan. I found the various posts on MexConnect.com dating from August about this plan.
Anyone using Vzn Nationwide plus Mexico plan in Mexico to phone to USA? to others on Verizon plans as well?
How is the coverage in places like Monterrey and Mexico City, Oaxaca, Puebla?
Does the 3-month limit still exist?
How do you feel about the pricing? [Family plan: $84.99/month] : what other [not-so-obvious] charges have you paid?
If you can also explain to me: one uses one's american phone number in Mexico?
Sorry if my questions are very basic, but am hoping to hear from experienced users, not just the Verizon reps.
Thanks! peregrina

mexigrl

Oct 6, 2009, 7:03 PM

Post #10 of 11 (20356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [peregrina] Verizon Plan?

I do believe they still have the 3 month limit - you'd have to check on that. I used it for 1 month and it worked well. One thing is that you need a plan for text/internet if you plan to use it. Otherwise for just phone it worked fine. When I called the U.S. usually I didn't need to dial anything but the regular number - once in a while I'd have to add on the country code but I don't know why. I could call Mexico without an issue but keep in mind if you call a Mexican cell phone the person you call will get billed for a call from the US (very expensive).

It's a good plan and it was nice to be able to forward my work phone to my cell and still get calls - my clients didn't even know where I was!

Enjoy the winter....

Laurianne

Bethie

Oct 8, 2009, 4:36 AM

Post #11 of 11 (20304 views)

Shortcut

I looked into the Verizon plan, but they did not have coverage in Panuco, Veracruz. I am now with AT&T Viva Mexico. $54.99 per month, 1000 night and weekend minutes, 450 roll over anytime minutes. I call to Mx with no long distance, hubby has not noticed any increase in his cell phone as opposed to me calling him with Skype. AT&T has signed with Telcel (i think that is the name), so they (AT&T) are saying they have great coverage. Now when i go to Mx in a few weeks, I will be able to call back NOB without roaming or long distance charges. In the fine print it says that i can not go over 40% of my roll over minutes in any consecutive 2 month period. I can add a phone for hubby, then the plan goes to $74 per month with more minutes for us to share. At present when hubby needs to call me from his cell phone, he calls my Monterrey Skype phone number which i forward to my home phone or cell phone. For emergencies, i also have a Trakphone, pay as you go. They have international calling with no long distance (you just use your minutes). It only works here NOB. But with Trackphone, you can have up to 3 Mx phone numbers. So hubby, with his cell phone can call one of my local Mx numbers and it rings on my trackphone. When visiting Mx i will forward my Mx skype number to my brother's phone, and also leave my trackphone with my mom, just in case AT&T coverage does not pan out like they said it would.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4