Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

George

Oct 10, 2001, 3:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (10724 views)

Shortcut

Construction Cost Estimates in Mexico

Can't Post |
I am wondering if there is a construction costs manual for Mexico similar to Marshall & Swift or Means? If not, if there is any way to estimate costs short of going to contractors.

Carl A. Carlson

Oct 10, 2001, 3:57 PM

Post #2 of 6 (10702 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I've had some worthwhile discussions on cost of construction with American real estage agents working in Mexico. Of course everyone has their own ax to grind, but info from different sorts of people should give a useful range. <p>I know of no books, but the minimum wage varies by region in Mexico. This could serve as a useful index to the labor component of construction cost estimates.<p>Carl Carlson

John

Oct 11, 2001, 11:15 PM

Post #3 of 6 (10702 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
George, No, I don't believe there is such information compiled. One reason is that wages and material costs vary too much from region to region. For instance, backhoe work can vary as much as $100 pesos per hour within a 50 mile radius of Guadalara. This is due to the age of the machine and what the market will bear.<p>Material varys even more due to transportation. For instance, sand can cost as little as $200 pesos per dump truck load on the west side of Guad which is located near the sand banks. In Ajijic sand costs nearly $600 pesos due to increase transportation cost. The same kind of thing affects the cost of brick and other building material.<p>However, steel, lime, and cement are supposedly priced to a national norm. Even so you can sometimes find better prices but be careful to get full tons with good prices.<p>It sounds as though you are trying to find way to build without using a contractor. If you are fairly fluent in Spanish and understand the building process you can build yourself but most who go this route spend small fortunes "learning".<p>Personally, I would suggest that you spend whatever it takes for you to learn. I suspect you'll be a better man for the experience.

George

Oct 12, 2001, 4:42 PM

Post #4 of 6 (10705 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The reason for looking for cost information is that I use building cost estimates for estimating the "book" value of commercial buildings for accounting and insurance purposes. In the US and Canada, Marshall & Stevens and the Dodge reports work well, this is the first time I have been asked to work in Mexico. I would use Marshall if only they provided a reliable multiplier for the country.<p>Ideally, what I am looking for is an index that provides a range of per meter construction costs for commercial facilities like a warehouse or car dealership. I am not interested in the individual costs of building components, but what the final costs would be for a finished building on a unit basis. Thanks for your response.<p>
: George, No, I don't believe there is such information compiled. One reason is that wages and material costs vary too much from region to region. For instance, backhoe work can vary as much as $100 pesos per hour within a 50 mile radius of Guadalara. This is due to the age of the machine and what the market will bear.<p>: Material varys even more due to transportation. For instance, sand can cost as little as $200 pesos per dump truck load on the west side of Guad which is located near the sand banks. In Ajijic sand costs nearly $600 pesos due to increase transportation cost. The same kind of thing affects the cost of brick and other building material.<p>: However, steel, lime, and cement are supposedly priced to a national norm. Even so you can sometimes find better prices but be careful to get full tons with good prices.<p>: It sounds as though you are trying to find way to build without using a contractor. If you are fairly fluent in Spanish and understand the building process you can build yourself but most who go this route spend small fortunes "learning".<p>: Personally, I would suggest that you spend whatever it takes for you to learn. I suspect you'll be a better man for the experience.<p>

oscar

Oct 15, 2001, 11:33 PM

Post #5 of 6 (10704 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: I am wondering if there is a construction costs manual for Mexico similar to Marshall & Swift or Means? If not, if there is any way to estimate costs short of going to contractors.
there are several books with that information;
try the "Costos" Bimsa edition information is updated each mond
suerte!
oscar

Carl Carlson

Oct 16, 2001, 4:13 PM

Post #6 of 6 (10705 views)

Shortcut

Two Intreging Books on Mexican Construction Costs

Can't Post |
Following Oscar's lead, I found two building cost books for Mexico. Use the link below and search on Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4