Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Art Lenard

Oct 16, 2001, 4:12 PM

Post #1 of 21 (15056 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick

Can't Post |
Am trying to locate where we can get the brick used for boveda ceilings. Can we get either address, phone #'s or e-mail addresses. Thanks for any help

TonyS

Oct 16, 2001, 9:21 PM

Post #2 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick

Can't Post |
What is your location?<p>: Am trying to locate where we can get the brick used for boveda ceilings. Can we get either address, phone #'s or e-mail addresses. Thanks for any help<p>

John

Oct 17, 2001, 12:07 AM

Post #3 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick

Can't Post |
You can get boveda brick at any material sales yard. You simply ask for it by name. Should cost around $1.20 and 1.50 pesos per each, delivered. You may be able to get it for less if you dicker ar are buying lots. <p>BTW boveda brick is only the first step of a boveda ceiling.

Art Lenard

Oct 18, 2001, 9:42 PM

Post #4 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick

Can't Post |
Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>: What is your location?<p>: : Am trying to locate where we can get the brick used for boveda ceilings. Can we get either address, phone #'s or e-mail addresses. Thanks for any help<p>

John

Oct 19, 2001, 7:27 PM

Post #5 of 21 (15031 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |
I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>Just wondering.<p>: Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>

Art Lenard

Oct 19, 2001, 9:12 PM

Post #6 of 21 (15031 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |
: I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>: If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>: Just wondering.<p>: : Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>

Art Lenard

Oct 19, 2001, 9:17 PM

Post #7 of 21 (15033 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |
: I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>: If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>: Just wondering.<p>: : Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>Yes we are wanting the brick for a ceiling. I was wanting to purchase the brick that is used in making the boveda ceilings that is made in Mexico, probably in the city or state of Guancijuato, Mexico. What I needed originally was the name, address or preferably phone number of a dealer in Mexico that sells that particular product. Does anyone know of one? Thanks <p>

Cynthia Mason

Oct 20, 2001, 12:08 AM

Post #8 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |

: : I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>: : If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>: : Just wondering.<p>: : : Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>The brick used to build a boveda ceiling is a special size brick. The masic that holds the brick is very special and supposedly a closely kept family secret. Do you have a familyin the SA area that has the knowledge needed to construct a boveda ceiling? I am sure there are people in Texas that know how and charge accordingly. There are tabeca tallers ( brick factories) in Mexico that make boveda bricks. I have been told there is a tax from the US on anything baked - tile, brick, etc.

Art

Oct 20, 2001, 9:36 AM

Post #9 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |
:
: : : I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>: : : If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>: : : Just wondering.<p>: : : : Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>: The brick used to build a boveda ceiling is a special size brick. The masic that holds the brick is very special and supposedly a closely kept family secret. Do you have a familyin the SA area that has the knowledge needed to construct a boveda ceiling? I am sure there are people in Texas that know how and charge accordingly. There are tabeca tallers ( brick factories) in Mexico that make boveda bricks. I have been told there is a tax from the US on anything baked - tile, brick, etc. <p>Yes we know people who can construct the ceiling, it's the aquiring of the special brick used that is the problem. I'll try one more time, we were just wanting the name of a place to purchase the bricks. A place in Mexico, mabey it is a factory. Can anyone help?

John

Oct 20, 2001, 6:24 PM

Post #10 of 21 (15031 views)

Shortcut

Used?????

Can't Post |

Dear Art,<p>Boveda brick is not a mystery. Any brick of about that size will do. However, if you want the real McCoy all you have to do is go South of the border until you see a Material Supply Yard. They will have it. Trust me on this. I build homes, including boveda ceilings, in the Chapala area. There are no "special family ingediants" in boveda brick. It is the size not the physical make up that makes them work. It is what you do to the brick afterwards that makes the boveda stay in place.<p>If for any reason you need to know the steps involved please contact me. I would be glad to give you the process.

Art

Oct 24, 2001, 9:52 AM

Post #11 of 21 (15034 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick process steps

Can't Post |
: To John, please let me know the steps involved in laying the boveda brick in a ceiling. Your offer is kindly accepted. Thank you.

Randall Pipkorn

Mar 2, 2002, 12:10 PM

Post #12 of 21 (15035 views)

Shortcut

Boveda Ceilings

Can't Post |
: :
: : : : I doubt that you can get used boveda brick. Well, you could get pieces of used boveda brick. I still think your best bet is a material supply yard. Boveda brick only costs about $1.00 pesos -- new. That's like $.11 US, at least it is today. By the way, I was wondering... You are going to use this for a boveda ceiling, right? <p>: : : : If you are talking about San Antonio Tx. Why not use good US brick?<p>: : : : Just wondering.<p>: : : : : Am located about an hour north of San Antonio, but am willing to get the brick used from about anywhere.<p>: : The brick used to build a boveda ceiling is a special size brick. The masic that holds the brick is very special and supposedly a closely kept family secret. Do you have a familyin the SA area that has the knowledge needed to construct a boveda ceiling? I am sure there are people in Texas that know how and charge accordingly. There are tabeca tallers ( brick factories) in Mexico that make boveda bricks. I have been told there is a tax from the US on anything baked - tile, brick, etc. <p>: Yes we know people who can construct the ceiling, it's the aquiring of the special brick used that is the problem. I'll try one more time, we were just wanting the name of a place to purchase the bricks. A place in Mexico, mabey it is a factory. Can anyone help?<p>I am specifically looking for bovedas that are under surrent construction. I would like to know about an area or two in Mexico that are currently making boveda ceilings so that I can travel there. Please e-mail me some areas: mainstreetinn@theriver.com

Eduardo Massú

Mar 6, 2002, 12:48 PM

Post #13 of 21 (15033 views)

Shortcut

boveda brick

Can't Post |
I live in Torreon Mexico, About 8 hours form the U.S. Border line, Here it is produced a beautiful brick used for construction and also for bovedas, it is vere cheap and resistent, and also had a great red color, if you want some additional information please send me an e-mail and i will attach some pictures of it.
: Am trying to locate where we can get the brick used for boveda ceilings. Can we get either address, phone #'s or e-mail addresses. Thanks for any help<p>

Jaime

Apr 28, 2002, 2:43 AM

Post #14 of 21 (15035 views)

Shortcut

boveda bricks : ladrillo de lama

Can't Post |
:
: Dear Art,<p>: Boveda brick is not a mystery. Any brick of about that size will do. However, if you want the real McCoy all you have to do is go South of the border until you see a Material Supply Yard. They will have it. Trust me on this. I build homes, including boveda ceilings, in the Chapala area. There are no "special family ingediants" in boveda brick. It is the size not the physical make up that makes them work. It is what you do to the brick afterwards that makes the boveda stay in place.<p>: If for any reason you need to know the steps involved please contact me. I would be glad to give you the process. <p>Boveda brick, also known as "ladrillo de lama" is made for boveda building and it is a special kind of brick, it's size, ligth weight, and absortion rate is what makes it special for it's use in bovedas. And the material needed to make it is not available everywhere in Mexico. It is a Spanish method of construction. There are three styles for bovedas : De cuña, Catalana, and Cupula. And they make a fine brick in Jocotepec, which is famous for it's masons too.

David Sargert

Aug 22, 2002, 5:47 PM

Post #15 of 21 (15032 views)

Shortcut

boveda bricks : ladrillo de lama

Can't Post |
: :
: : Dear Art,<p>: : Boveda brick is not a mystery. Any brick of about that size will do. However, if you want the real McCoy all you have to do is go South of the border until you see a Material Supply Yard. They will have it. Trust me on this. I build homes, including boveda ceilings, in the Chapala area. There are no "special family ingediants" in boveda brick. It is the size not the physical make up that makes them work. It is what you do to the brick afterwards that makes the boveda stay in place.<p>: : If for any reason you need to know the steps involved please contact me. I would be glad to give you the process. <p>: Boveda brick, also known as "ladrillo de lama" is made for boveda building and it is a special kind of brick, it's size, ligth weight, and absortion rate is what makes it special for it's use in bovedas. And the material needed to make it is not available everywhere in Mexico. It is a Spanish method of construction. There are three styles for bovedas : De cuña, Catalana, and Cupula. And they make a fine brick in Jocotepec, which is famous for it's masons too.

varaahan

Dec 10, 2012, 7:44 AM

Post #16 of 21 (8181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John] Used?????

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'd like to know how the boveda brick is made , its dimensions, the materials used in the mortar and the proportions and finally , the technique.
Thanks in advance.

sparks

Dec 10, 2012, 8:19 AM

Post #17 of 21 (8173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [varaahan] Used?????

Looks like a standard brick to me .... not for beginners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiEQBboDE7s

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

varaahan

Dec 10, 2012, 6:11 PM

Post #18 of 21 (8143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Used?????

I already saw that video but it is very fast ( slides ) in the beginning.

I think placing the first brick with correct angle is very important but that is not explained.

Can this roofing be used for rectangular walls ?

What about the mortar ? Is it just lime and sand or something else ? How the bricks don't fall when placed vertically ? Which supports their weight ?

As I don't know Spanish , it is a bit difficult to follow.

Am I questioning too much ?

Judy in Ags

Dec 14, 2012, 6:24 PM

Post #19 of 21 (8054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [varaahan] Used?????

Our neighbors have boveda ceilings. (Called "boveda de rayo?) Anyway, they are beautiful, but they all leak, so be careful that it is constructed properly. They also have fireplaces that don't work, so go figure. I guess it all goes together. ;)
Attachments: Tostado's_12-23-009.JPG (161 KB)

Sculptari

Dec 16, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #20 of 21 (8019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Used?????

Can't Post |
I have a book called "Masonry" Builders Library, published by Taunton Press 1997, Fine Home Building Magazine. There is an article in there written by an Austin architect, E. Logan Wagner. He details the process from a second generation bovedero. It is important to note that there is definitely a brick for bovedas called ladrilla de cuna, or wedge brick. It is also slightly cupped, which helps with suction keeping the wet stuff up. He also notes that in the Southwest Texas climate the boveda is coated with two coats of stucco, and one coat of fiberglass reinforced cement (you add loose fibers called AR resistant glass). When you tile the boveda, you must use a special grout, which he names, for weather resistant.

I highly recommend this book. It also has a lot of insider tricks on stonework and brickwork from experts and artisans in the field. Here is an excerpt from Amazon.

http://books.google.com.mx/books?id=0me_0fIFZ9wC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=e.+logan+wagner+boveda&source=bl&ots=wwRYqsC6xx&sig=HpnOyG0wn-PJnXomdLgiduGFzdw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BvnNUOWFBsWzqgH57ID4DA&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=e.%20logan%20wagner%20boveda&f=false
no longer active on Mexconnect

Judy in Ags

Dec 16, 2012, 4:19 PM

Post #21 of 21 (8002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Used?????

We've used lots of "ladrilla de cuna" or "cunas" as we call them here, but have never done the circular pattern. We left them exposed in the garage and the entry way (as shown in the photo). I never heard of the slightly curved ones, but one learns something new just about every day. ;)

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on Dec 16, 2012, 4:26 PM)
Attachments: Entry lights_ceiling.JPG (151 KB)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4