Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ZSThomp

Aug 4, 2009, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 9 (7375 views)

Shortcut

bank account and sentri question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,

I've been living in Tijuana almost two months and it's been mostly bad so far. I'm 31 and after getting sick here, I got pneumonia and two broken ribs from coughing!!! Plus, having no job whatever money we have se nos resbala de las manos so quickly. I was offered a job in San Diego finally and will start soon.
I'm here in the "border zone" without even an FMT as I don't really need it here. Primero lo del banco...My partner opened up a Coppel debit account and tried to add me but they require an FM3. And according to them, it's a federal law that I have an FM3 for an account. I knew that was required for the titular de la cuenta but I didn't know that even another authorized user must have it too. So I'm looking at options like Bank of America (getting ATM money here from Scotiabank or from whoever doesn't charge a fee). Also the Inter National Bank with the Banorte connection sounds good but not sure how to do that. The problem is I don't have a US permanent address. I'm using a "friend"s address for mail forwarding but I have nothing permanent there, so I don't even know how I'm gonna open up a US bank account. Any ideas?
Right know I have AZ plates and AZ driver's license. I cross at Tijuana/San Ysidro. If I want to get a Sentri pass, will I have to change plates and license to California (as I will working and crossing the border to California)? The only problem I don't live or have permanency in Cali, so why change plates? It's all confusing.
One more thing, a veces se ponen retenes en la calle y paran a quienes les de la gana and while I've not been stopped, I was told to never tell them I live in Tijuana but rather that I'm visiting friends. He says that if I tell them I live in Tijuana, they are gonna tell me to got get mexican plates. Is that true?
Gracias a todos de antemano and I hope everyone's summer has been better than mine in Mexico

Peter

Aug 4, 2009, 11:39 PM

Post #2 of 9 (7369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ZSThomp] bank account and sentri question

If you work in California the state will require you to have their driver's license. By having that they will probably want your car registered in CA as well, unless you have a good AZ address and claim that as your permanent residence. Otherwise, you might be advised to not claim you live in California either.

Normally to have Mexican placas on your car it needs to be nationalized but I understand having frontera plates is much more lax a process; I'm curious about that as well. Frontera plates are only good for the border regions but I see them here deep in central Mexico on occasion. Having Mexican plates means needing a Mexican driver's license which also needs an FM-3, at least here in Michoacan.

There are times when it's not so bad but it's normally very busy at Tijuana/San Ysidro. Is crossing at Otay not usually better, or too far out of your way?

It's getting harder all the time to fly under the radar, and getting tougher yet to be totally legit. Good Luck, I hope it gets better for you.

Papirex

Aug 5, 2009, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] bank account and sentri question

Every Mexican government office does things differently, and Transito is no different I suppose. We nationalized Two different US plated cars here some years ago, one in México City, and one here in Cuernavaca in Morelos state. Neither of us had Mexican drivers licenses at the time. The question of if we even had drivers licenses was never brought up as I recall, maybe it was, but we both still had state of Alaska drivers licenses then.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Peter

Aug 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] bank account and sentri question

In Reply To

Every Mexican government office does things differently...

That seems to be very true. Every time I post my experience other people have a different one. Here it seemed to be important to have a Mexican driver's license if you drove a Mexican plated car, unless it was a rental.

Regarding nationing cars, you seemed to have done so with ease yet others report it as a near impossibility. My 2007 SUV is suppossedly too new to nationalize, or that aduana would charge way too much to do so, or that it is not elgible as it is a forieign make and can't be nationalized.

"They" tell me a lot but don't always seem to be correct. I guess I need a different advisor.

Papirex

Aug 5, 2009, 1:28 PM

Post #5 of 9 (7279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] bank account and sentri question

Yes, it was relatively easy for us to nationalize our cars several years ago under two different vehicle “amnesties”that were declared a few years apart. The amnesties are declared every few years so that “chocolates” may be legalized here. A chocolate is a foreign plated car that is owned by a Mexican and is being driven illegally in México. Although our cars were here legally with temporary vehicle import permits for both of them, they were eligible for nationalization under both amnesties.

The third car that my wife temporarily imported was nationalized irregularly by a relative with high government contacts. It had Mexican plates on it a week after crossing the border, and there was no computer record of my wife importing it. Don't ask for details, our relative and his contacts don't want anyone to know about it. We have connections that count.

The vehicle amnesties are not declared on a regular schedule, there may be another in 5 or 10 years, and there may never be another. They almost always become a political issue. The automobile manufacturers and dealers always oppose them. The amnesty back in 2000 became an issue in the Presidential election that year. All the presidential candidates were in favor of it except Vicente Fox. He opposed it until the last few weeks of the campaign. When he endorsed it in the final weeks, we knew that no matter who won the election, we would be able to nationalize the first car. It was the only car we had here at that time.

The second car we had imported here did not meet the qualifications set out, because it had not been in México soon enough to be eligible to nationalize, it had to be here by November, 2000, we didn't bring it to México until January of 2001.

It was quite a pleasant surprise when just two or three years later another amnesty was declared, and we were able to nationalize the second car. The second amnesty was not widely publicized and many people did not know about it. My wife heard about it in a rumor, and she went to the Transito office here in Cuernavaca and verified that there was an amnesty at that time.

The cost was not high for either amnesty, there were no import taxes to be paid for either car. All we had to provide was the original titles with a seal on it, and the original temporary import permits. There may have been a small fee, but if there was, it was so small that I don't remember it and I am not going to dig through my records looking for it now.

We have never been hassled by a Mexican cop anywhere claiming false violations when trying to extract a bribe since we got Mexican license plates on our cars. We sold one of them when my suegra gifted her daughter, my wife, with a new van in 2006. It was manufactured here and of course, it has Mexican license plates too. It was easy and legal to sell our first van here as it had Mexican registration and plates.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

BajaGringo

Aug 5, 2009, 3:46 PM

Post #6 of 9 (7246 views)

Shortcut

You will not be required to get California plates for a SENTRI pass. SENTRI is under Homeland Security, not California Border Patrol and as a federal agency they only want to see valid registration and insurance. I know lots of folks here in Baja driving with Arizona plates who have a SENTRI.

You can live in the Baja border area on an FM3 and drive a vehicle with foreign plates as long as you have a valid drivers license. You will not be required to get a vehicle permit.

With your FM3, you can get a Baja driver's license and drive a Baja plated vehicle. I do and have a SENTRI pass on my SUV with Baja plates.

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

chicois8

Aug 9, 2009, 1:26 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7137 views)

Shortcut

You can get a Banamex USA savings or checking account with ATM card ( no fees ) for Banamex in Mexico...They require proof of a Mexican address (rent receipt,utility bill in your name) it can be set up over the phone, very easy...Buy the way I was imformed yesterday that banking rules reguarding FM3's is a thing of the past, only need a FMT, ask at Banamex...suerte

ZSThomp

Aug 12, 2009, 12:00 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] bank account and sentri question

FM3 is a thing of the past? I would love for that to be true but I doubt it as I've recently asked at two banks here and they both mentioned the the FM3 requirement.

Zach

ZSThomp

Aug 12, 2009, 12:01 AM

Post #9 of 9 (6700 views)

Shortcut

bank account and sentri question

Thanks guys for the responses!! That's good to know about the Sentri pass. I just have to figure out the bank account thing.

Zach

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4