Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mexigrl

Aug 3, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4757 views)

Shortcut

Laredo Hotels

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was doing some checking for hotels for the night in Laredo. I know that La Posada is wonderful and have stayed at the Red Roof before. The La Quinta (Santa Ursula Blvd) is showing a rate of 29.00, that made me nervous but I thought I would check and see if anyone has stayed there lately.

My main concern, of course, would be parking and the safety of my car/possesions. Also, any advice against staying right at the border nowadays? I've always done so before but didn't know if the conditions have deteriorated too much to be safe.

Thank you!

Laurianne

PS - One other thought was to stay in Nuevo Laredo but that would seem less safe - great hotel rates though!

(This post was edited by mexigrl on Aug 3, 2009, 5:30 PM)

Altahabana

Aug 4, 2009, 3:38 AM

Post #2 of 13 (4726 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] Laredo Hotels

The La Quinta on Santa Ursula is an older property and I would imagine the rooms show it. As a place just to sleep for a few hours while in transit it is okay. There is a Denny's onsite so food is available. It is reasonably secure as it is on the IH 35 access road, well lit and there is always some activity in the area. It may have security in the parking area. It is a direct 3-5 minute drive to Bridge II. The rate of $29 seems very low to me and you would be hard pressed to find anything cheaper. There are a large number of newer suite style properties along the north and south access roads of IH 35 between the Del Mar and Calton Road exits and around Mall del Norte, but they will probably be more in the $75-100 range.

Since you mentioned Nuevo Laredo, you should consider staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Coloso---the loop road around NL. If you arrive late in the afternoon you could cross then and should be able to get your FMT and vehicle permit quickly on a weekday. The Holiday Inn Express is an easy and direct few minutes drive from the CIITEV permit station. It is on the right and clearly visible about 3 miles from Bridge II. From the hotel it is about a 5 minute drive on Coloso to the interchange with Highway 85 to Monterrey.

We have had family members stay there as it is close to our home. It is only about three years old and the rooms I saw were spacious, clean with modern amenities. There is a decent restaurant onsite. It has 24 hour security guards for the parking area and is perfectly safe in my opinion. They have signs indicating rates of about 650 pesos which is considerably less expensive than staying in comparable places in Laredo. Send me a PM if you want detailed driving instructions to the permit station from Bridge II and from the station to the hotel. It is an uncomplicated, simple drive to Highway 85.

Brian

Aug 4, 2009, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 13 (4704 views)

Shortcut

Tripadvisor is a great website for customer reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56137-d107465-Reviews-La_Quinta_Laredo-Laredo_Texas.html

Brian

Altahabana

Aug 4, 2009, 10:01 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4693 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Laredo Hotels

These are the trip advisor reviews for the Holiday Inn Express in Nuevo Laredo.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/...tml#CHECK_RATES_CONT

mexigrl

Aug 4, 2009, 12:56 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Laredo Hotels

Any thoughts on the Camino Real? Also, as far as crossing and permitting goes you mentioned a weekday afternoon. My plan was to leave New Orleans on a Friday to stay in Houston for Friday night and then the border on Saturday night - crossing Sunday morning (or leaving N.L. on Sunday morning which would mean crossing on a Sat early evening). That would leave me making the drive to Matehuala on Sunday and then to SMA on Monday. Does that make sense or should I be crossing on a weekday?

Thanks!

Altahabana

Aug 4, 2009, 4:39 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4645 views)

Shortcut

The Holiday Inn Express is a much better choice than the Camino Real because of cost and accessibility. The Camino Real is a very nice hotel but it is on Reforma which will eventually become Highway 85 about 4 miles down the road. The Holiday Inn Express is on Coloso which is the divided highway that loops around NL. You do only about 4 blocks of driving on city streets after you cross Bridge II to get to the Holiday Inn Express. It is easy enough to get to the Camino Real from Bridge II, but it involves about 5-6 miles of in -city driving. If you want the directions send me a PM.

There will be shorter lines at the CIITEV permit station in the early evening and early morning on weekdays than on Sat. evenings/Sunday mornings. Right now there is a quite a bit of traffic as Mexican nationals are returning home for the summer vacation period, although I suspect that will slow down as we get closer to the start of the school term.

I would cross during the week if I had a preference, but I do not think you will experience long waits on a Saturday evening and especially on a Sunday morning at the CIITEV permit station in NL.

mexigrl

Aug 4, 2009, 5:14 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4637 views)

Shortcut

Thanks - my real point of traveling on the weekend is to get around Houston on a Saturday if possible. I have never not hit traffic there but generally the weekend is better.

I'd love a good breakfast buffet on a Sunday morning - does the HI Express have one?

Altahabana

Aug 5, 2009, 4:31 AM

Post #8 of 13 (4601 views)

Shortcut

The website for Holiday Inn Express says it has a breakfast buffet and is included with the room. I have no idea whether it is a full buffet or just pan dulce, juice and coffee.

Planning around Houston traffic to me makes more sense than driving miles out of your way to avoid the greatly exaggerated long lines at the vehicle permit station in Nuevo Laredo. If you cross Bridge II in Laredo about 7 pm on a Saturday chances are good that you will be in your room at Holiday Inn Express with your FMT and vehicle permit before 8 pm. On the travel advisor page I linked above there is a good road map of the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo area which if you back out a couple of clicks will illustrate the difference between the Columbia Bridge detour and the direct route through Laredo.

mexigrl

Aug 5, 2009, 12:45 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4574 views)

Shortcut

So, sounds like my plan should be leave here on Saturday, overnight in Houston and then cross on Sunday - I'd have to be sure of the hours on Sunday, do you know how accurate the website would be? I'd then stay on Sunday in N.L. and head out Monday morning. The traffic around Houston is usually my biggest time waster. I'd love to be able to make it from here to the border in one day but its about 10 hours and, alone, I just can't make it that far.

Thanks for all the help with this!

RickS

Aug 5, 2009, 3:33 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4559 views)

Shortcut

Mexigrl, I know of what you speak regards the traffic in Houston.... lived there in another life and have driven through a couple of times lately, pulling a trailer no-less.

If you wanted to do it during the week and can time it right, coming in after, say, 7PM, you will be coming into the city from the east when 'everyone' else is trying to leave. Your incoming lanes will be better (yes, I know that is a relative term!). Drive on through and stay out on the west side... maybe even in Katy and you'll have no traffic when you leave in the a.m. either.

Just a thought....

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 5, 2009, 6:27 PM)

Altahabana

Aug 5, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4547 views)

Shortcut

Are you asking about the operating hours for the CIITEV permit station in NL? They are open into the evening hours, but I don't know the exact time.

mexliving

Aug 15, 2009, 5:21 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4465 views)

Shortcut

the best hotel to stay at in loredo(usa) is the Best Western San Isidro Inn
1410 Hospitality Drive US Laredo, Texas, 78045-6542, United States
Phone: 956-723-1600 plenty of parking, great location.

Guavagto

Aug 26, 2009, 9:17 AM

Post #13 of 13 (4396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Laredo Hotels

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Nuevo Laredo a couple of weeks ago on a return from Austin.

Extremly nice hotel with a free breakfast. Much better than we have been finding in Laredo for the same price (about 65 dollars).

We felt much better with the guarded parking lot than we have when staying in Laredo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4