Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Camille

Jul 31, 2009, 2:09 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3978 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara Periferico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm driving PV to Chapala Monday without a co-pilot. I have never been able to see a Periferico exit in Guadalajara, instead have always made it to Lopez Mateos and turned right there. Can anyone give me an idea what to look for? Any landmark I might see? Any info appreciated!

esperanza

Jul 31, 2009, 2:52 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Guadalajara Periferico

Camille, the López Mateos exit is a substantial distance west of the exit for Chapala--probably 10 kilometers or more. The Chapala exit is clearly marked, with signage both for Chapala and for the airport. Just follow the airport signs.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Camille

Jul 31, 2009, 2:58 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guadalajara Periferico

Thanks, Cristina, but my problem is getting on the periferico in the first place.... I'll be coming in on Hwy. 15 and would love to turn right onto the Periferico, but every time I miss it. I'm sure it must be marked, but apparently not very well.

RickS

Jul 31, 2009, 3:14 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3952 views)

Shortcut

Camille, as esperanza suggests, the exit to the Periferico Sur is very well marked... it will say Chapala and/or Aeropuerto. Since it is 'way' out west maybe you have passed it before you were ready for it to appear. Many of us, however, find it just as easy to stay on 15.... Lazaro Cardenas.... until one comes to the Carretera a Chapala, then exit right. That Periferico can be 'murder', especially if it is during the afternoon rush (which is often all afternoon!).

You'll be fine... co-pilot or no.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 31, 2009, 8:53 PM)

Camille

Jul 31, 2009, 3:30 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Guadalajara Periferico

OK, I see now I misunderstood Cristina.... duh! Thanks for the explanation.... I'll be looking for the exit shortly after noon, so I think I'll give the periferico a try.... thanks!

tashby

Jul 31, 2009, 6:33 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3918 views)

Shortcut

I should know this answer since I've driven it about five times in the last year, but pathetically I don't. (After entering the greater GDL area and "feeling" the urban, passing the military check area on the other side, I'm pretty sure I start looking for the periferico after spotting the SECOND Pemex that appears on my right. Seems to me it's about a mile or so beyond that.)

That said, I'm done with it. The periferico can be a miserable grind. I second the above recommendation of staying straight on Vallarta/Lazaro Cardenas and driving through until you hit the Chapala/Aeropuerto highway. Really.

Camille

Jul 31, 2009, 6:38 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Guadalajara Periferico

Gentlemen, I believe I'll change my mind and take your advice! And now I'm SURE that Periferico exit will jump out with bells and whistles.....

RickS

Jul 31, 2009, 8:55 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3898 views)

Shortcut

Yes, but now you can just thumb your nose at it and say, 'never mind.... I've found a better route Mister!!!'.

esperanza

Jul 31, 2009, 9:06 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3893 views)

Shortcut

I agree with the guys...stay on Lázaro Cárdenas. The traffic can be heavy, but not as godawful as it is on the periférico. And it's easier to get to the Chapala/airport exit.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Camille

Jul 31, 2009, 9:21 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guadalajara Periferico

Thanks, all! I'll drink a toast to you when I arrive.......

jimboynton

Aug 1, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3847 views)

Shortcut

I use to drive the periferico until I read Esperanza's recommendation to drive straight through GDL on Lazaro Cardenas last year. Well I'm finished with the periferico after using Cardenas last spring heading home from PV. No trucks allowed either so I also recommend avoiding the periferico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4