First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gpkgto

Jul 28, 2009, 4:54 PM

Post #1 of 28 (7581 views)

Shortcut

Last month's expenses (some)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Last month's expenses (some)--all in pesos/2 people

Electric (2 months-3397)--(1698 for one month)
Telmex -- 697
Internet(4mb cable)--399
Sky (2 TVs) --607
Gas --497
Water/sewer --790
Bottled water --200
Telcel (cel phone) --200
Gasoline (one car) --800
Garden(2 days/4hrs)--1200
Maid(2 days/4 hrs) --1000
Groceries/sundries --4500 (approx)
Daily newspaper --210
Starbucks --480

Total--??????????????

rockydog85251

Jul 28, 2009, 5:15 PM

Post #2 of 28 (7556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Last month's expenses (some)

Wow! Where do you live? Do you have a large house? Those expenses seem high to us here in Mazatlan but then a lot would depend on a person's "lifestyle".

Our water runs us about $42 pesos a month & we have a large garden of about 2500 sq. ft. & plants mostly in pots so they use extra water. Our electric bill using 1 a/c every night & a few days, another one in the kitchen used sparingly runs about $850 pesos in the summer, after the government subsidy. The phone is about $300 a month, cell $189 a month, propane $180-BBQ, hot water, cooking, Star Choice $200 after the max being on the account.

Our house is for sale but maybe we should stay put!!
Willie

gpkgto

Jul 28, 2009, 5:19 PM

Post #3 of 28 (7549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Last month's expenses (some)

I live in Irapuato. I have 680m2--too much grass. I live in the highest-priced neighborhood (i.e. electric, water are higher). Everything else is just normal expenses--it hasn't really changed in 6 years here. This strictly a Mexican city--so there is no gringo tax. We live pretty well--no complaints.

jennifer rose

Jul 28, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #4 of 28 (7530 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Gary's expenses seem fairly normal to me, mirroring mine for the most part. Well, I don't spend as much on food as he does, but I do fork out more for household help.

Peter

Jul 28, 2009, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 28 (7526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Last month's expenses (some)

His total is about $1000 US. My expenses don't come close to that, even including the extra house I rent downtown. I must congratulate myself for having gone native. And I don't feel the least bit deprived, though some friends snicker because I frequently use the combi instead of drive.

esperanza

Jul 28, 2009, 6:09 PM

Post #6 of 28 (7520 views)

Shortcut

For us--two people in a high-rent district of Morelia

Rent......................................11,000
Electricity...................................950 (2 months)
Water/sewer...............................200 (prorated, we pay 2400 annually in February)
Telmex.......................................620 (includes phone and 2mg Internet, 2 computers)
Gas (house)................................300 (prorated, we pay 1000/3 months)
Groceries...................................5000 (includes weekly tianguis and Superama plus 1X/mo Costco for big things)
Bottled Water..............................200
Gasoline......................................500 (2 cars)
Maid.........................................3000 (16+ hours/week)
Gardener.....................................300 (4 hours/week)
Daily newspaper............................300

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

morgaine7

Jul 28, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #7 of 28 (7505 views)

Shortcut

Are you saying that there are different utility rates for different neighborhoods in the same town? I've never heard of that! How do they decide who pays which rates?

La Paz, BCS, one person:

Electricity -- 324 (two months)
Telmex (incl. internet) -- 599 + cell and international calls
Gas (propane, 3 months) -- 335
Water/sewer -- 93.47
Gasoline (one car) -- 200
Cleaning woman (1x /wk) -- 800
Groceries/sundries -- 7,410
-----
Gym membership -- 350
Haircut --100 (two months)
Eating out (4x) -- 435

No TV or cell phone, and gardener comes about 3x /year for big jobs. No AC, either, though I have a swimming pool. Groceries /sundries includes everything from supermarkets and City Club, of which groceries would be maybe 30-40%. The rest: alcohol, cigarettes, pool chemicals, vitamins, personal care products, shoes, dishes, garden stuff, automotive stuff, and who knows what else. Oh yeah, a toaster and a cable lock ...

Kate

Marlene

Jul 28, 2009, 7:37 PM

Post #8 of 28 (7486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Last month's expenses (some)

Yes, there does seem to be different rates for electricity (at least structured differently) for different neighborhoods in the same city.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jul 28, 2009, 7:38 PM)

Peter

Jul 28, 2009, 8:05 PM

Post #9 of 28 (7471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Last month's expenses (some)

One person Downtown Morelia, other home near Central and Estadio Morelos

Rent ............................$2500 . . . . Other house is owned
Electricity ........................150 . . . . 50
Water .............................150 . . . . 60
Gas ................................100 . . . . 50
Phone, cel phone ..............300
Maid/gardner .................no hay
ISP .................................100 wireless service shared with a neighbor
Food .............................2500 (approx.)
Gasoline ..........................200
Combi .............................100

(This post was edited by Peter on Jul 28, 2009, 8:08 PM)

tepetapan

Jul 29, 2009, 5:54 AM

Post #10 of 28 (7409 views)

Shortcut

Looks to me an expensive part of Mexico... Electric is high even if you are living in A/C 24/7 and cooling a good sized house. Water seems to be 10 times what I pay in a 4 bdrm, 4 bath with 4 people. Gas is nearly 4 times what I pay but we do not cook big meals everyday... let some one else do that. Then the Starbucks, I buy still warm in the bag, freshly roasted and ground, 100 % certified organic Veracruz coffee for 60 pesos a kilo.

gpkgto

Jul 29, 2009, 6:16 AM

Post #11 of 28 (7404 views)

Shortcut

Water/sewer is different in each "zona"--I live in the high-rate zone.

Electric is charged by usage (higher rateper kwh if you use more). We are "high usage, residential". We have air conditioning in the bedrooms (used for siestas mostly), washer/dryer used daily, dishwasher used 2-3 times a week, etc.

Other expenses are just the price of living and vary from month to month. We like to eat at home (including entertaining friends) and we cook and bake a lot. Most Mexicns never use the oven, but we like to bake cookies, cakes, pies and bread.

RickS

Jul 29, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #12 of 28 (7342 views)

Shortcut

All of the above is why it is so hard (impossible?) to answer a "newbie's" question of, "how much does it cost to live in Mexico?". This person would get significantly different answers from gpkisner vs Peter, for example. Both are happy but each have drastically differing living expenses.... and probably life styles.

jreboll

Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 AM

Post #13 of 28 (7326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Last month's expenses (some)

Some do want to stretch the limits of what is possible like the poster who wants to come down and spend 2 months in Mexico with just 500 dollars.

yucatandreamer

Jul 29, 2009, 11:28 AM

Post #14 of 28 (7304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Last month's expenses (some)

Another thing that is not listed is yearly expenses, FM3 renewals, insurances, aguinaldos, taxes and so on. It also seems like most of these people are extremely healthy, rarely travel, have no pets and clean their own teeth and cut their own hair.

gpkgto

Jul 29, 2009, 11:39 AM

Post #15 of 28 (7292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Last month's expenses (some)

That's why I said "some" expenses. The idea was to give newcomers/potential retirees an overview of what to expect--and I hope others will add their information.

When I found Mexico Connect over 10 years ago, this expense info was this kind of information that was impossible to obtain in other places. MC (especially jennifer rose) provided me with a wealth of info and answers to my questions that made it possible for us to move here with our eyes at least somewhat open.

Yes--we have other expenses--visas (not me--I am now Mexican), IMSS, real estate and car taxes, insurances, doctors visits, medicines, travel, restaurants, etc. etc. Plus I have expenses on property we own in the US.

WOW!! No wonder we are always broke!!!

esperanza

Jul 29, 2009, 11:53 AM

Post #16 of 28 (7289 views)

Shortcut

The expenses I posted were for the month of June 2009. Not all of my expenses were posted, but most of the standard monthly costs are there.

Others
Haircut.....................120 (1X/month)
Dog and cat food........included in groceries
Vet..........................animals are in current good health, no need for the vet since about a year ago
Health insurance.........266/month, but paid annually in March--total, 3200 pesos. And yes, I am in excellent health.
Travel.......................167 (I took the bus to the DF on June 30 and returned on July 1, 335 is the round trip fare). I stayed with a friend, so no hotel costs, and ate with a friend, so no meal expenses. And I travel frequently--too much, this year, but only once in June.
Auto insurance...........paid annually in March, about 5000 pesos
Taxes.......................none
FM-3 renewal costs....none, I am a Mexican
Dentist.....................not this month

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Jean_S

Jul 29, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post #17 of 28 (7266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Last month's expenses (some)

Interesting to see what some of us are paying. I'm at Lake Chapala.

Electric 1200 - 2 months Zone 1

Telmex - 180

Internet 5 mbps +TV 640 (Telecable)

Vonage $22 Cdn. month

Gas - 1200 2 months

Water - NA we rent

Bottled Water - 200

Gasoline for Car - 250

Insurance for Cas - 250 month

No Gardener or Maid

Dog Food & Treats for 2 dogs 2000

Groceries & Sundry Items - 8000 ( I don't cook so I have no idea how he manages this large an amount :)

Vitamins 1000

Rent - 6500 pesos

IMSS - 300 month

FM3 200 month

Peter

Jul 29, 2009, 1:13 PM

Post #18 of 28 (7266 views)

Shortcut

There are always other expenses and other things to spend money on. FM-3 renewal is around $1200 a year for me so I guess I should have added another $100 pesos to my monthly expenses. A also forgot to include my bottled water, I use about one bottle a week at $20 a bottle.

I refuse to get cable TV or satellite for fear that is how I will end up spending my day, in front of the tube. Two national stations I know of broadcast in English for much of their programming in the evening if you use the SAP audio function. It is enough, too much really, that I'm glued to the tube Tuesday nights for Dr. House; fortunately the current season has finished its run here and is in reruns now. For three years or more I also refused to get internet service but the house I now rent downtown is across the street from an old friend who has wireless internet, so I got hooked with another old time-wasting device when he told me to tap into his system. I give him half the cost for his ISP, $100 pesos a month more I now spend.

Dental costs were about one-eighth the cost of that in the US, with the exchange rate as it is now its probably even more of a saving, I don't think my dentist raised his prices. A doctor visit, consultation can be had for $20-30 pesos. My last prescription cost me $6 pesos but I've had others that were considerably more.

Last Sunday I decided to splurge. I took the combi over to an upscale shopping area and had breakfast in a semi-fancy coffee shop - this still fits in the $2500 a month food allowance I outlined previously. Afterward I walked across the street to the Cineplex to find the next showing of Harry Potter 6. I had over an hour to kill so walked around the mall but didn't find anything I particularly wanted to buy. The movie was $42 pesos. Afterward I had lunch at the McDonalds, something I would not normally do here or in the US but decided to have a Big Mac, first in years. It surprised me that it was so expensive, $36 pesos if I recall correctly. Then took the combi back home. It was a full day and cost me about $15 US for food, tips, movie, and transportation.

I was a conspicuous consumer when I lived in the US on the California coast. I'm glad I lived that way for a time, just for the self-satisfaction of having done so. But my college days living on a shoestring budget were happier and required more creative solutions to daily living. I could still live large here, I'm not broke, but I like to live on my small pension without touching my savings, and see how stylish I can be at doing so.

Living here I need not be a tightwad. I tip well, live well, eat well, and have fun. Many things I like to do like attend concerts and visit special exhibits are either free or cost very little. And there are just many things I had in my former life I would rather do without now.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jul 29, 2009, 1:24 PM)

morgaine7

Jul 29, 2009, 4:51 PM

Post #19 of 28 (7215 views)

Shortcut

Annual expenses (La Paz, BCS):

Auto insurance (no collision) 1412
Car registration (discounted for early payment) 310
Property tax (discounted for early payment) 479
FM2 renewal (2009 published fee) 2800
Fideicomiso $330 USD or MXN equivalent at exchange rate when paid

Kate

La Isla

Jul 29, 2009, 7:20 PM

Post #20 of 28 (7189 views)

Shortcut

Here's my contribution to the discussion:

Monthly expenses in pesos for one person in a small apartment in central Mexico City:

Rent ............................$3500
Electricity ........................110
Water ...............................17
Gas .................................200
Land-line phone/internet......389
Cell phone.........................100
Food/household sundries....2800 (approx.)
Laundry .......................... 180
Public transportation ...........70
Haircut (my one luxury).......200
Movies, museums, concerts..250
Newspapers, magazines.......100
Private health insurance.....2000
Accountant.......................200

Food includes eating out a maybe 3 times a week (inexpensive comida corrida) and having coffee and dessert at the neighborhood sidewalk cafes when the mood strikes (and the weather is kind). Since I live in a very conveniently-located neighborhood, most days I can walk anywhere I need to go, hence my low transportation costs. I need to see my accountant once a month because I'm still working (on a free-lance basis) and have to pay taxes every month.

This has been an instructive exercise - thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Riverman

Aug 1, 2009, 9:14 PM

Post #21 of 28 (7028 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Then took the combi back home.

Peter

Aug 1, 2009, 11:08 PM

Post #22 of 28 (7010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Riverman] Last month's expenses (some)

In Reply To

In Reply To

Then took the combi back home.

The combi I take to Las Americas Plaza passes in front of my house and costs 5 pesos. I'm a big spender. ;)

Mexican Trailrunner

Aug 3, 2009, 1:50 PM

Post #23 of 28 (6833 views)

Shortcut

I guess I live kind of like you, Peter.

The second to the last article on my blog has a produce price board which hangs in the Jocotepec daily mercado that some might find useful.

See

www.mexicantrailrunner.blogspot.com

Oscar2

Aug 5, 2009, 11:16 AM

Post #24 of 28 (6675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexican Trailrunner] Last month's expenses (some)

Trailrunner,

Thank you for introducing your blog. The short story of Augustine and the environs coming together in a state of emergency was not only touching but also inspirational.

Gracias

Mexican Trailrunner

Aug 5, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #25 of 28 (6665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Last month's expenses (some)

Hola Oscar2

Gracias, muy amable.

Yep, Agustín is an inspirational person in many ways. He keeps a low profile so you never know what he is up to, he just does what needs to be done, with integrity. For example, those kids he was helping with the University entrance paperwork got their forms in a little too late and they were denied entrance for this coming year. He called a friend to see if anything could be done and was told ok, no problem, your son can be admitted but the others must wait until next year we don't have the room. Agustín graciously declined the offer and Mauricio and all the others will attend another college this coming year and then they all will transfer into the University the following year.

Thanks for the kind words about the blog, who knew it could be so much fun! Now, if I could just get it to post the link below. . . . . . . .maybe this time. . . vamos a ver.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4