Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

johnv

Jul 27, 2009, 9:06 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3505 views)

Shortcut

Protexx SITH Virtual Private Network

Can't Post | Private Reply
I would like to report on a new service that I have subscribed to called Protexx SITH, which is an encrypted virtual private network, that costs US$49.95 per year. Many people here with Prodigy Infinitum Service have complained of slow upload speeds, and VoIP blocking by the provider. I would like to report that I have solved the problem of slow upload speeds through the use of Protexx. I have a 2mb Infinitum connection that averages a speed of 1730/200. However, when I use my Protexx service I achieve an average speed of 1590/710, forfeiting slightly in the download department, but more than tripling my upload speeds. I have never had a VoIP blocking problem, which I attribute to NOT using Skype, Vonage, or other well known providers, but rather using the less well known Iconnnecthere service. However, I have heard of wide scale blocking of VoIP by Prodigy Infinitum, by a lot of users in Mexico. One way of getting around this blocking is to encrypt everything that goes out of your computer, essentially hiding your VoiP usage from Prodigy's prying eyes. Protexx works perfectly in that department. Another advantage of the Protexx service is that it gives you a US IP address, so that certain sites are not blocked because you are located outside of the USA. And those who do online banking here will love the better than 2000 bit encryption that the service offers. And if you don't like the fact of Google tracking you, this service provides very high anonymity. The other advantages of this service are too numerous for me to continue to be typing all day about, but it is a service that I believe is of great benefit to expats here in Mexico. It is free to try for a few weeks, and the customer service is incredible, where they treat you like a family friend, both on phone calls and by email. I suggest that you give it a try. Click here for Protexx >>> http://www.protexx.com/Default.aspx?tabid=106

RickS

Jul 27, 2009, 4:02 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Protexx SITH Virtual Private Network

I'm curious what your 2MB Prodigy Infinitum Service 'advertised up-to' rate is, down and up....

I understand the part about security and about how other entities sometime seem to block things going to/coming from Prodigy, but.....

Am I reading this right....what I hear you saying is that Prodigy throttles your upload speed to the web. But if your IP address using Protexx is 'assigned' as a US-registered IP, then for some reason Prodigy doesn't throttle anymore? They are bound to know your computer is in Mexico since they are your ISP. Do you know 'how' having this product seemingly un-throttles your upload or confuses Prodigy? I'm probably just confused.....

johanson / Moderator

Jul 27, 2009, 5:01 PM

Post #3 of 5 (3478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Protexx SITH Virtual Private Network

First I too, use www.IconnectHere.com and love it

The Infinitum 2 meg connection has an advertised speed of hasta or up to 2 megs down by hasta or up to 256 K up. With this speed I never had a problem (well almost never had a problem) with my VoIP service. I was getting maybe 1800 down by 170 up. I say I was because I am now experimenting with www.telecable.com as my backup ISP. My primary ISP here lakeside is www.laguna.com.mx

I am confused how you are able to increase your upload speed by so much. I give tech support at the local ISP mentioned above and admit that being a senior citizen, I aint that smart. I will pass this by the owner techno guro of this ISP (www.laguna.com.mx) and maybe he can explain this to me. But getting a much faster upload speed by simply doing as you suggested goes against everything I know about the subject.

Again, I am not saying you're wrong. It's just that it goes against everything I understand about the subject.

johnv

Jul 27, 2009, 9:04 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Protexx SITH Virtual Private Network

All I know is that when I run a test at speed-test.com while I am unconnected to Protexx, I average in the neighborhood of 1730/200.

When I connect to Protexx and run the same test I average 1590/710.

Why, I do not know, and I am not complaining, but I am sure that speedtest.com is not sending a false report.

Calling Protexx for a trial is very simple. Anyone can check it out very easily.

By the way, even though their web site does not say so, a phone call is necessary for service, either trial or pay.

RickS

Jul 27, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Protexx SITH Virtual Private Network

Pete, I suspect that you are like me.... know enough to be real dangerous with respect to some issues :>)

I also suspect that, if johnv is getting better upload speeds... and I don't have any reason to suspect that he is not..., it is because of the way a VPN differs in Internet protocols from 'normal' connections. Data is 'tunneled' and possibly this is tricking the ISP into allowing a higher bandwidth. I think that the way ISPs offer different bandwidths is that they 'throttle' the throughput somehow. Maybe the way they do this is not effective when the connection is through a VPN, thus allowing a higher rate. Maybe.

It is interesting to hear johnv say that he can 'connect' to or 'unconnect' from the VPN.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 27, 2009, 10:02 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4