Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

RickS

Jul 24, 2009, 8:29 AM

Post #1 of 12 (12749 views)

Shortcut

'Passing' in San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know the age group is correct here on the Forum, just not sure about the musical persuasion of said. Having said that......

John 'Marmaduke' Dawson, a longtime Grateful Dead collaborator who co-wrote "Friend of the Devil" and developed a devoted following with his country group New Riders of the Purple Sage has passed away in San Miguel de Allende where he retired a few years ago.

With the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia, Dawson co-founded the New Riders in 1969 to showcase his songs along with Garcia's pedal-steel guitar playing. Two other Dead members, bassist Phil Lesh and drummer Mickey Hart, also played with the New Riders for a time. The New Riders scored their first gold record in 1973 with the hit The Adventures of Panama Red.
John Dawson was 64.

Source: Portions of the above (actually the whole damn thing!) were proved by The Associated Press.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 24, 2009, 10:43 AM)

prmjcm

Jul 24, 2009, 10:29 AM

Post #2 of 12 (12723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] 'Passing' in San Miguel

Rick I am an old deadhead from san francisco, calif, thanks for the news, sorry to hear about his passing did not even know he was in mexico.

Pat from San Pancho, GTO

Peter

Jul 24, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #3 of 12 (12668 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I know the age group is correct here on the Forum, just not sure about the musical persuasion of said. Having said that......

John 'Marmaduke' Dawson, a longtime Grateful Dead collaborator who co-wrote "Friend of the Devil" and developed a devoted following with his country group New Riders of the Purple Sage has passed away in San Miguel de Allende where he retired a few years ago.

With the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia, Dawson co-founded the New Riders in 1969 to showcase his songs along with Garcia's pedal-steel guitar playing. Two other Dead members, bassist Phil Lesh and drummer Mickey Hart, also played with the New Riders for a time. The New Riders scored their first gold record in 1973 with the hit The Adventures of Panama Red.
John Dawson was 64.

Source: Portions of the above (actually the whole damn thing!) were proved by The Associated Press.

Thanks for posting this. You've alerted another old, retired Deadhead and New Riders fan living here in Mexico. So very sorry to hear of his passing. He died Tuesday of stomach cancer.

-Peter
Morelia

(This post was edited by Peter on Jul 24, 2009, 7:57 PM)

Merry Born

Sep 9, 2009, 9:14 AM

Post #4 of 12 (12426 views)

Shortcut

Did he "pass" or did he die? Sorry, couldn´t resist. That euphemism always catches my attention, and I always marvel at the problem people have with uttering the word death. Here in Mexico, nobody passes. We just die, and then we are remembered every year during Los Muertos.

Gringal

Sep 10, 2009, 8:38 AM

Post #5 of 12 (12347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Merry Born] 'Passing' in San Miguel

Thank you, Merry. Euphemisms seem to be popular in the NOB culture, in general. When I first read the thread title, I expected it to be about "passing" for something. Mexico has a firmer grasp on reality, so we don't have "The Day of the Passing".

esperanza

Sep 10, 2009, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 12 (12342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Merry Born] 'Passing' in San Miguel

In Reply To
Did he "pass" or did he die? Sorry, couldn´t resist. That euphemism always catches my attention, and I always marvel at the problem people have with uttering the word death. Here in Mexico, nobody passes. We just die, and then we are remembered every year during Los Muertos.

The wording 'pass', or 'pass away', or 'pass on', has been common English usage since the time of Shakespeare, Milton, Blake, Coleridge, Tennyson, and throughout the entire range of English literature. It's common usage all over the USA: "John's father passed last Thursday." In these English-language usages, 'pass' is used to express a transition from one state to another.

Spanish also has other words for dying besides "morir": fallecer, expirar, dejar de existir, etc. Fallecer comes closest to the English 'pass away' and is just as much a euphemism. It's the most commonly used word for 'died' in polite Mexican conversation. "El papá de Juan falleció el jueves."

Clearly we don't often hear about 'El Día de los Fallecidos' (although I have heard it used), but we all have our euphemisms.

And I too thought we were going to hear about someone in San Miguel passing as something that he or she wasn't!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 10, 2009, 9:02 AM)

Rolly

Sep 10, 2009, 9:10 AM

Post #7 of 12 (12338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] 'Passing' in San Miguel

I have never understood what's wrong with just plain old "died." Why all these beating around the bush words?

Rolly Pirate

Brian

Sep 10, 2009, 11:50 AM

Post #8 of 12 (12315 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
And I too thought we were going to hear about someone in San Miguel passing as something that he or she wasn't!

In Reply To

I thought it had to do with an unsafe driving maneuver on a one way street at a blind intersection. It's just as plausible :-)

gpkgto

Sep 10, 2009, 11:52 AM

Post #9 of 12 (12313 views)

Shortcut

"And I too thought we were going to hear about someone in San Miguel passing as something that he or she wasn't!"

With all the "border promotions" in San Miguel, there would not be enough space for all the posting!!

tony88

Sep 18, 2009, 8:40 PM

Post #10 of 12 (12203 views)

Shortcut

At least he died in Mexico. R.I.P.
A. Primavera
Psychotherapist-Psicoterapeuta
CelMex: (044)552.092.7913
TelMex: 5709.7334
USA: 617.254.4878
primavera@post.harvard.edu
www.antonioprimavera.com

Geos

Oct 4, 2009, 12:26 PM

Post #11 of 12 (11969 views)

Shortcut

God, I feel old. When the icons of your youth start dropping like flies (sorry, passing) you know you're not far behind. Just listening to Panama Red the other day brought back fond memories of my ill spent adolescence. I used to wonder why people bother getting old when it's so much more fun being young. Wonder no more.

indianajulia

Oct 30, 2009, 6:14 AM

Post #12 of 12 (11633 views)

Shortcut

Bodies die. Souls pass. Its all perspective. Its all good.
www.thestarchildgallery.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4