Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 22, 2009, 3:43 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5400 views)

Shortcut

Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Hola, amigos transeúntes por México!
A lady wants to know what the drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz is like, how long it is and what is the best route(hopefully avoiding going through the DF!). I haven't driven since 1987!
Any information is appreciated.
¡Buen viaje, compañeros!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

ebwilderae

Jul 24, 2009, 8:51 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5322 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

We did this fantastic drive with majestic vistas last September. I do not have the details but we traced a path provided by
a good soul on the SMA yahoo list so I would expect it could be retrieved using their archives search. There are lots of 'empty' spaces along the way so make sure the vehicle is in good shape and watch those buses coming around the blind curves in the middle of the road! Stayed the night at Pinal de Amoles above 7000' - the first lodging coming down the mountain into town on the left was pleasant and affordable at $350MP though the restaurant was closed. There was a brand new restaurant adjacent to the Pemex above with a great view, good food and very friendly staff. The Hotel Dolores in Xalapa was a fine place for our lodging and then we took taxis to get up to centro rather than walking the hills. Cheri posted some pix from that trip at
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcconnell.cheri/PinalDeAmolesAndXilitla# Buen Viaje! Mike

RickS

Jul 24, 2009, 1:27 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ebwilderae] Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

I don't have a 'dog in this hunt', but going from San Miguel to Xalapa via Xilitla seems to be a bit off the path and maybe not the 'best route' as the OP was suggesting. Although I have not made that trip, I hope to correct that oversight this winter as we are considering visiting Queretaro (City and State) as well as Xalapa specifically and Veracruz generally.

As I have been pre-planning that eventuality, the 'best' route (best defined as NOT going through or near D.F.) would seem to be from Quaretaro to Pachuca, then heading southeast through Apizaca and Huamantla in the state of Tlaxcala, connecting with the autopista 75 miles or so southwest of Xalapa. I would spell out hiway numbers, but my experience is that 'what is on the map is often not what is on the ground'.

It would be interesting to hear what the 'good soul on the SMA yahoo list' had to say about the route. I don't know that group nor could I find anything using Sr. Google. Do you have more information about it or a link?

esperanza

Jul 24, 2009, 2:30 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Civil_SMA/

You have to be approved to join.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ebwilderae

Jul 24, 2009, 3:32 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

Indeed membership is required and I have let my own lapse...In brief a lady was posting the comments of her friend who had taken his motorcycle via the route he described (very well I might add, x km this way, y km that way for the turn). He had done it much quicker than we did in our Chevy Malibu. It is indeed a less than easy route and subjects one to wondrous scenery which may not be on everyone's agenda. The Sierra Gorda Biosphere is an amazing project taking up nearly all the eastern half of Queretaro state. It (the reserve) was not even in the Lonely Planet Guide last year if memory serves which IMHO makes it even more desirable. Provecho!

ebwilderae

Jul 28, 2009, 7:07 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ebwilderae] Drive from San Miguel de Allende to Xalapa, Veracruz

Please to forgive this grievous brainfart of mine...I misread the OP's query to be Xilitla...my bad.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4