Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gpkgto

Jul 14, 2009, 4:15 PM

Post #1 of 22 (12502 views)

Shortcut

Mexican citizenship test--fun!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is the new study guide for the history and culture test for Mexican citizenship. It is fun to take--just to see what you know--even if you are not interested in citizenship. The best part is that this time they have provided the 4 multiple choice answers--so you can make a guess before you look up the correct answer.
http://www.sre.gob.mx/tramites/nacionalidad/guia_estudio09.pdf

bournemouth

Jul 14, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #2 of 22 (12477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

That's a great link - thanks - I'm going to see how much or how little I know.

jennifer rose

Jul 14, 2009, 6:27 PM

Post #3 of 22 (12454 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
They're making that test just too easy, giving applicants the answers and all that. Now, I know that's a change from the days when just the questions were posted, but back in my day, the questions were as much a surprise as the answers. You just had to learn *everything.*

Really, what's next -- an open book test?

SecretAgent69

Jul 14, 2009, 6:45 PM

Post #4 of 22 (12447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

True. They answer some of the previous questions with subsequent questions. And it also chronological. They should mix up the questions. Is this really how easy it is?

What about the interview? What is that like ?

So, they dont provide the answers ????????

gpkgto

Jul 15, 2009, 5:47 AM

Post #5 of 22 (12380 views)

Shortcut

I thought the same thing--maybe we should write to our diputados, paisana.

kathleengam

Jul 16, 2009, 1:08 PM

Post #6 of 22 (12227 views)

Shortcut

THANKS!

mazbook1

Jul 18, 2009, 4:09 PM

Post #7 of 22 (12123 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer,

Do you know for certain that te questions asked when you actually go to take the test are multiple choice? This is a study guide, not the test itself.

Also, this study guide may have been a reaction to the last set of study guide questions where the answers were extremely dificult to find. I'm a fairly experienced researcher on the Internet, yet I had to set my Google preferences to Spanish and sites from México to even find ONE source for the answer to several of the 101 questions on that set. It took days! Then with rigorous study (and my wife asking the questions at random) for 3 weeks, I was able to answer 100%. On several forums I read that it was the most difficult list of questions ever used for the test.

I believe that, as I had given the list previous to that to several educated Mexicans and just asked them to check the questions they thought they could answer correctly. The average score was about 75%. The next list (the one I had to learn) I did the same thing with and NO ONE could check better than 40%. At least with the study guide giving multiple choice, you are still forced to do some research and studying, but not the near impossiblity of getting the correct answer that the was the case with the previous study guide.

David Bodwell
Editorial Mazatlán

cookj5

Jul 18, 2009, 4:26 PM

Post #8 of 22 (12114 views)

Shortcut

It was fun and it did seem a lot easier than I expected (or I know a lot more than I thought). However, where are the answers? Some stuff I can look up on Google and such but some of the literary stuff I have no idea where to find it. Is there a list of correct answers somewhere?

gpkgto

Jul 19, 2009, 6:48 AM

Post #9 of 22 (12053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

I did not see an answer list posted at the SRE website--maybe someone else can find it there. Also, maybe is you call SRE they would tell you more about the answers and whether these are the actual test questions. I think they are--but that is just my guess.

SecretAgent69

Jul 19, 2009, 9:26 AM

Post #10 of 22 (12028 views)

Shortcut

No way. They publish the ACTUAL QUESTIONS ahead of time ????? That's awesome !

Are there a series of different tests or just this one ?

gpkgto

Jul 19, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #11 of 22 (12020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SecretAgent69] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

This is a new precedure--it was different when I applied for citizenship about 2 years ago. I think they just select questions from this list, but I don't know how many or how they are selected. When I first applied I found this online group that had information from people who had already taken the test. I can't say if it is still active or not, but try searching it for Naturalización mexicana. (If someone can't read a little Spanish, he/she is probably not ready for citizenship):
http://www.mexicolegal.com.mx/consultas/r119881.htm

SecretAgent69

Jul 19, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #12 of 22 (11999 views)

Shortcut

Ok thanks. I have a good immigration lawyer that can get me the details.

What can you say about the interview? What is it like? My Spanish is good so no problem there.

mazbook1

Jul 20, 2009, 2:07 PM

Post #13 of 22 (11935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

As far as I know, this is the first time the SRE has even given multiplie answer type answers to the study questions for the naturalization test. Never have they given the answers for the test, just the questions. You had to research out the answers for yourself.

In researching the answers for the previous test I set my Google preferences to both languages, español and inglés and the searched only websites from México. This should be even easier with this test, as you have suggested answers already. Just search for each of the answers and see if it meets the standard of a correct answer for the question.

Generally, these study lists are good for 6 to 9 months, then a new list will come out. SRE in Mexico City chooses (seemingly at random) 5 questions out of the list for the test that is presented to the student. Answering 4 correctly will give you a passing grade. The 5 questions change either from time-to-time or office location to office location, and once the vigencia is up, a new set of 100 questions will be posted and the tests will change accordingly. I had studied the list of questions extensively, then - on the exact day that that list of questions expired - I was notified that I had only 30 days to come to the SRE office and take the test and I had to start over researching answers and studying a totally different list of questions. That was NO FUN, for certain.

As far as the "interview", what interview? If you filled out the original application completely and conducted ALL of your business with your SRE office in Spanish, I don't think there is an actual interview. At least there wasn't for me and I had to deal with an SRE person who is well known for making things difficult for gringos applying for naturalization.

gpkgto

Jul 20, 2009, 3:05 PM

Post #14 of 22 (11919 views)

Shortcut

I had no "interview" or Spanish language test. The lady in the SRE office here in Irapuato filled out the application form for me by asking me the questions (in Spanish, of course). She even helped me come up with correct answers, e.g. for "Why do you want to be a Mexican citizen" I mumbled something about this being my home and she offer "I amvery settled in Mexico and own my own home" or something like that. Maybe that was the "Spanish" test.

When I got my 30 day notice about a YEAR later, there was no study guide or sample questions. When I called the SRE office they just said the test was on Mexican history and culture and to study the Mexican history books approved by SEP for the 5th and 6th grade of primary school. A friend helped me get a copy of the 5th grade book and I pretty much memorized it--very simple stuff, but lots of "facts".

When I went to Leon to take the test, the man picked up 5 or 6 tests and just picked one. Five questions--some multiple choice, some fill-in-the-blanks. I missed one. Several questions asked the names of Mexican heros--and apparently they want the complete names, not just the last name. Luckily I knew them. I missed the one where I had to select a stanza from the national anthem. They had selected some stanza from near the end (there are many, many stanzas) that I could not remember. (I had gone in prepared to SING the fiirst 3-4 stanzas--I assumed they would make me stop before then, so I never really paid much attention to the whole song.

Anyway, 6 MONTHS later, I got the information that my "carta" was ready. When you sign all the paperwork you do sort of give up any other citizenship, but since they do not take your passport, the signing has no effect outside of Mexico. You also sign a notice that you can lose your Mexican citizenship if you ever DENY that you are a Mexican citizen WHILE IN MEXICO. Finally you have to resign all titles of nobility.

mazbook1

Jul 20, 2009, 3:23 PM

Post #15 of 22 (11912 views)

Shortcut

gpkisner,

Your local SRE office may not even have known that the questions were posted on the Internet, but they have been for several years. No answers though. The earlier lists all recommended the SEP 5th and 6th grade history books for finding the answers.

gpkgto

Jul 20, 2009, 3:29 PM

Post #16 of 22 (11906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Mexican citizenship test--fun!

I never found any listing and the SRE offices never mentioned this. Also, the website I mentions above, http://www.mexicolegal.com.mx/consultas/r119881.htm, was full of people discussing this problem and none of them found the list either. I am mystified by this--did you actually see this list "years ago"? Did anyone else? Even the recommendation to study the history books was a struggle to get from SRE for me.

SecretAgent69

Jul 21, 2009, 11:12 AM

Post #17 of 22 (11845 views)

Shortcut

Thanks to all for the great info! Very helpful. Sorry I just assumed there was an interview. If not, that makes it even easier. Surprised though how long the paperwork takes (1.5 years?).

What happens if you can't make it within the 30 days? Do you have to start from scratch or can it be rescheduled?

I'm also a bit worried that they may be harder on Canadians now because of the Canadian government harder line on Mexicans recently.

Georgia

Jul 22, 2009, 8:03 AM

Post #18 of 22 (11786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Resign all titles of nobility???!!!!

Well, now I'll have to rethink my plans! In my last job I was referred to as the "Indian Princess" .... I'll have to write and request they stop that, I guess. My kids never referred to me as "Mother of the Year" but I think there were times they gave me other titles. Guess I don't have to worry about that, either. They now seem to have no recollection of their childhood, especially when their own children do the same things they did.

Seriously, I like this test. At a minimum, on the US citizenship test, they ask very similar things, but leave out cultural references, which I find offensive. It doesn't matter to INS or whatever they call themselves this administration, if you know who Hemingway, Faulkner, Kerouak, and Washington Irving are. In Mexico these things matter. I like that.

We should all know how many states there are, the capital of the country, the state where we live at least, the levels of government, the name of our mayor, the mayor of the capital, the governor of the state, the president of the country and the names of the principal political parties. We should know who all the "hombres ilustres" and Nobel Prize winners and Olympic champions from Mexico are. We should know who Juan Rulfo and Carlos Fuentes and Diego Rivera are. These people are part of what defines the culture we aspire to become a part of when we apply for citizenship. It is not just a business deal.

gpkgto

Jul 22, 2009, 8:24 AM

Post #19 of 22 (11770 views)

Shortcut

I think the 30 day limit is it--start over if you don't pass during that time. Everything in Mexico is flexible, so who knows if it would really be enforced. I don't think Mexico will discriminate against Canadians--the people I dealt with seemed very happy that I was seeking citizenship and were very helpful. The delay in the Mexico City office of SRE was bureaucratic.

This is from another firend:
I received my "carta" last week. It took me over 3.5 years to accomplish due to changes in the process and because they had a big problem with the fact that I only have one Christian and one surname. They finally agreed to issue "carta" as is. Due to the delays and the fact that my FM2 had reached the 5 year limit I had to also apply for permenant status.
The difference between permanent status and citizenship?

With permanent status I was still under the thumb of INM. Although I did not have to pay any more fees to them I would have to advise them of any changes in my status - if I move, aquire a job, etc. Also, I would still have to report to them periodically. In other words they "allow" me to live in Mexico but only with supervision from them

With citizenship I have full rights of other Mexicans. I am allowed to own property in restricted areas, vote, work, and be free of constant supervision from gov't agents.

As I have full intention of living out the rest of my life here, citizenship seemed the viable choice for me.
Since getting my citizenship I actually feel a vast relief and a certain feel more secure here. My Mexican friends are very happy for me and very welcoming to their country. They are flattered that I would go the the extent of becoming a Mexican citizen and "one of them".

Of course citizenship is not for everyone and has to be a personal choice.

gpkgto

Jul 22, 2009, 8:28 AM

Post #20 of 22 (11770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Resign all titles of nobility???!!!!

It did seem silly to resign all titles of nobility--but it was there.

I agree that if we are going to be citizens or even residents of Mexico (or any country) we should try to know someting of the history, culture and government. I have friends who have lived here for years and they know nothing of Mexico. They watch US television and read only English newspapers. It is kind of sad really since Mexico is such a fascinating place.

richmx2

Jul 22, 2009, 1:14 PM

Post #21 of 22 (11729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Resign all titles of nobility???!!!!

Any sillier than the U.S. naturalization oath that requires you to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty"? Considering that Mexico (and other former Spanish possessions) did have citizens with titles at independence, and in Mexico that wacky Max de Hapsburgo was running around for a few months passing out jobs to Europeans with titles, somebody probably just thought adding the requirement was a good idea, and -- like other bureaucratic regulations -- it's still with us whether it makes sense or not.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

mazbook1

Jul 22, 2009, 5:44 PM

Post #22 of 22 (11691 views)

Shortcut

gpkisner,

Yes, the SRE study guide was on the net without even multiple choice answers as long ago as 2006. SRE sure didn't tell me about it nor did their website mention it, but it was there. Another gringo who had started their process in 2006 tipped me off about it, and I bookmarked it.

That forum that you posted, I found out about much later, but by then someone had posted both the study guide and the answers that they had come up with for the list that expired Sept. 30, 2008. That particular thread doesn't seem to be still available, probably because by Nov. 2008 it was unbelievably long, several hundred (¿thousand?) posts. Once I took my test, I posted an answer list for the new list and shortly afterwards the thread was no longer available.

You are correct on the 30 day thing! I was very specifically told that if I didn't take the test within the 30 days I had to start all over again, which in my case would have meant reapplying for whatever visa they required (probably an FM-2) and reapplying under the "married to a Mexican citizen for over 2 years" routine that by then I would qualify for.

There seems to be quite a big difference between various state SRE offices in just how foreigers are treated who apply for naturalization. Some are very helpful, some seem to be clueless but nice and then there are those like the one in Culiacán that put up every and any barrier they can think of to hinder you. Fortunately, I was able to keep my temper, stay calm, cool and collected (in Spanish yet!) and by golly, now have my carta (Feb. 2009). Others here in Sinaloa haven't been as calm about it and even though they applied before me (April 2007) still haven't even received there invitation to take the test. Now that the election is over, I was able to apply for my credential de elector which I am supposed to receive in August sometime. Got my pasaporte right away after getting my carta.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4