Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

norm

Nov 6, 2001, 3:04 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7025 views)

Shortcut

Costs of cleaning and filling pool ... ?

Can't Post |
Our pool was closed down and the water left in it since June. Now for the
winter I want to clean it out, fill it to the skimmer point and clear it
for use this December. Size is about 40X20feet.<p>Are there any pool contractors who could tell me what is needed including
cost of a tanker truck to supply the water, chemicals and costs of labor
involved - such as a complete reasonable contractor's price at lakeside
on Chapala.

John

Nov 7, 2001, 12:53 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7024 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hey Norm, A tanker of water runs between $250 and 300 pesos. <p>Depends on what "cleaning it out" entails. If there is hard water build up it could cost many gallons of acid. If it is just green could be you only need to treat the surface with and algacide. <p>The best way to treat the water is to hire a service. It should cost somewhere around $1000 per month with chemicals included. Could be a little less, depends on if the water is balanced or not. If you need more help send me and e-mail

Lana Newlin

Dec 4, 2001, 7:23 AM

Post #3 of 4 (7024 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We are US contractors who build and care for concrete and vinyl pools in the Midwest. If your pool is a diving pool you probably have between 30,000 - 33,000 gal of water. If you have green algae plant growth material in the water to be emptied, I would simply empty it, pressure wash it, and use the cheapest chemical to kill and loosen algae from the walls. Any chlorine product will kill plant material in large enough doses. Acid wash with muratic acid if you have scale build up from the water. Fill with water and get recirculating. You will need to keep the chlorine level at 3 ppm to keep plant life from growing. Also you will need to adjust the ph and keep it between 7.4-7.6. We are getting 40 inches of acidic rain per year here and most of our clients use up 50-70 lbs of baking soda to neutralize the acid in the rain over a 6 month swimming season. If you have a concrete plaster finish you will need to keep the calcium level high around 300-400 ppm to protect the surface from leaching base into the water. This causes etching of the plaster finish and changes a smooth finish to a sand paper finish and you will have swimmers with bloody toes and feet. If you have a painted or tiled surface you can keep the calcium or hardness level lower to prevent scale build up on the surface. Controling the ph is vital to protecting all metal parts from being destroyed by acid. A heating element can be gone in 2 months if the water is not kept neutral. This is also true regarding spas as our bodies give off acid waste that builds up in the water. You will need to add enough stabilizer or cyanuric acid to keep the chlorine in the water if you use chlorine to sanitize the water. This chemical helps cut down on the ultra violet rays of the sun from stealing chlorine from the water and will save you considerable money over the year on chlorine. It needs to be at least 30 ppm. You would need about 5-6 lbs for 30,000 gal. I have a large informational web site you can tap for information at www.bluewaterpools.com or e-mail me for further assistance. Lana<p>

norm

Dec 10, 2001, 5:29 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7025 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks.
Had the job done 2 week ago by a local contractor for $ 525. USD
to everyone's satisfaction.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4