Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Ustlach

Jul 13, 2009, 2:35 PM

Post #1 of 7 (27154 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Vanilla

Can't Post | Private Reply
To my horror I just realized that the vanila I have been buying for my own use and as gifts for friends and relatives NoB is not really pure vanila but is rather: Saborizante Mixto de Vanilla.

Is this really as bad as it sounds?

I use the Molina brand. I discovered this when I went to Soriana Plus for more Molina vanila and the shelves were bare. All that was available were bottles of artificial vanila, which I rejected, and another brand that I am pretty sure stated it was pure vanila.

After I got home I realized, from my receipt, that four small bottles (about six ounces each) of vanila had cost me MXP 340.76, or MXP 85.19 each. About $6.50 each. Too much.

Now it occurs to me that what I thought was real vanila, and cheap, is not real vanila at all, at least not pure vanila.

Should I continue to buy the "MIXTO" and call it close enough, or what?

And what "saborizante" do you suppose it is "MIXTO" with?

sergiogomez

Jul 13, 2009, 8:34 PM

Post #2 of 7 (27124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] Mexican Vanilla

All mixto means is that it's a mix of real vanilla extract and vanillin, better known as artificial vanilla flavoring. Actually, maybe it's more precise to say it's a mixture of natural and artificial vanilla flavorings, both ambiguous terms at best. At least it probably has some real vanilla in it, not like the totally un-vanilla like "vanilla flavoring" you get on the cheap at Wal-Mart here in the States.

Anonimo

Jul 14, 2009, 4:32 AM

Post #3 of 7 (27104 views)

Shortcut

Go to Costco, if you have one nearby, and buy the Kirkland Madagascar vanilla.

Or Sam's Club, where you should be able to but Tone's Pure Vanilla.

Does it matter where it comes from, as long as it does a good job of flavoring?

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

joaquinx

Jul 14, 2009, 6:56 AM

Post #4 of 7 (27091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Mexican Vanilla

I seems obscene to buy Kirkland Madagascar vanilla in Mexico. I buy POSA vainilla at MEGA, refusing to buy imported or artificial vainilla .
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

yucatandreamer

Jul 14, 2009, 7:16 AM

Post #5 of 7 (27086 views)

Shortcut

In looking for a source of Vanilla beans to make ice cream, I discovered this company out of Veracruz. http://vanillamexico.com/homein.html I ordered both the beans and the Vanilla from them and was extremely pleased with the quality and price. I have since seen this product in both San Cristobal de las Casas and Oaxaca and I am sure it is in other places as well. There is now a distributor here in Merida so future purchases should be simple.

Anonimo

Jul 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

Post #6 of 7 (27041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Mexican Vanilla

In Reply To
I seems obscene to buy Kirkland Madagascar vanilla in Mexico. I buy POSA vainilla at MEGA, refusing to buy imported or artificial vainilla .

If I could find pure Mexican vanilla, I'd by it. When two friends were visiting over a year ago, we looked high and low for it in Morelia and Pátzcuaro, but all we could find was Mexican vanilla with aded vanillin.

So, we went the Kirkland Madagascar route. Pure, good price, tastes good, does the job.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Jul 17, 2009, 4:57 PM

Post #7 of 7 (26996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Mexican Vanilla

I second the motion for POSA vanilla. It's the real deal and quite inexpensive.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4