Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Yaxchibonam

Jul 5, 2009, 3:10 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3805 views)

Shortcut

Vegetables in market stalls

Can't Post |
Amigos! I am moving to Catemaco, Veracruz next month. I hear a lot about the abundant fish, shellfish, and tropical fruit of Veracruz, but nothing about varieties of vegetables I might find in traditional marketplaces -- either for salad or for cooking. Can I expect lettuce, tomatoes, cooking greens, basil, cilantro...etc.? I would be fascinated to learn what to look for, and any helpful hints about preparation of local varieties I may be unfamiliar with! Thanks, Yaxchi
Yaxchi

Sunnyvmx

Jul 9, 2009, 6:41 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yaxchibonam] Vegetables in market stalls

Can't Post | Private Reply
In the town of Catemaco, vegetable/fruit stands are plenty along with many stalls on the street. Besides the typical carrots, potatoes, lettuce, onions, garlic, herbs, beets, bell peppers, mushrooms, celery and zuccini that you are familiar with there are many new and wonderful ones to investigate. I love choyote, jicama, the chili's, a purple skinned sweet potato and more. The avocados are many in different varieties. The same is to be said of fruits and the vendors are always happy for you to sample. Local harvests are wheeled through the streets in carts or wheel barrows. Yesterday I bought 16 large limes for 10 pesos, less than a dollar. Sometimes the romaine and cabbage can be tough so we go to the Soriana and Bodega in San Andres a short bus ride away.

The fish and shellfish come into the mercado at dawn from the sea and lake. If I'm going to buy seafood, I go into town early. Some of the fish I recognize such as grouper, red snapper, pompano and snook. Ignacio takes special care to prepare the fish or fillet and has explained which is best fried, grilled or baked. His shrimp and conch have also been excellent choices. Rotisserie or grilled chicken can be purchased at San Miguels carnaceria and if you're early you may find braised pork or beef before it's gone.

There are many panaderias for fresh rolls or pastries, even a special tres leche cake for the potluck dinner in the RV park.

The morning's shopping always includes a fresh fruit drink and lunch in one of the many small cafes, then a last purchase at one of the fresh cut flower stalls or maybe a special potted plant for the patio or garden. A quick wave at one of the many passing taxi's and you are whisked back to your Tepetapan villa. We're all looking forward to your arrival, hope you like margaritas.

http://dementias-daughter.com. 30,000 hits by December.

Yaxchibonam

Jul 13, 2009, 10:46 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] Vegetables in market stalls

Can't Post |
Funny, I have been thinking of Margarita's lately. Not all that easy to find in San Francisco, so I will wait to celebrate with the real thing! Do you carry ice and a special container to the fish market, or do the vendors provide something for the trip home? See you soon!
Yaxchi

Sunnyvmx

Jul 15, 2009, 3:49 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yaxchibonam] Vegetables in market stalls

Can't Post | Private Reply
My fish vendor, Ignacio, has his fish on ice. It's bagged and when I get home, I wash it and refrigerate it until it's cooked the same night. It has never been a problem, most likely because it's fresh caught that day.

http://dementias-daughter.com. 30,000 hits by December.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4