Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Pernel S Thyseldew

Nov 9, 2001, 8:37 PM

Post #1 of 1 (3197 views)

Shortcut

Favorite Mexican Mason/Albaņil stories - Types of Gravel

Can't Post |
Hola a Todos,<p>I was just thinking how much I have learned working with and watching Mexican masons, albaņiles,
stonecutters, and tile men.
Let's share some stories.... >>><p>We had really just begun reconstruction and add-on to the 'Casita' when during a lunch break, Nayllo, our
mason, casually reached down and scooped up a handful of rocks from the old gravel heap that served as
our lunchtime table. "Here" he said holding up a smooth round pebble "Is the very best gravel you can get,
'Rio San Juan' is its' name and it comes from a river 2 hours away by dump truck." he said waving his hand
in the rivers' direction. "This is the ONLY gravel that will work for your azotea (flat concrete roof). Then he showed me
another more rugged rock, "This is crushed stone, and comes from another more local site, it's suitable for
columns and lintels," then another crumbly rock, "This is 'tapatetta' (decomposing feldspar) useless for
most work," but valuable as a substrate layer under the bottom of the water tank and under the concrete
floor slab I would come to see. Lastly he pointed to a large heap of stones that Mamasita had carefully
assembled over years from the property, "Those we will use in the footings, to save you money!"

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4