Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mloyds1

Jul 12, 2009, 10:08 AM

Post #1 of 16 (9114 views)

Shortcut

FM 3 Renwal

Can't Post | Private Reply
When renewing an FM 3, is it renewed in the month that I received it from the Mexican consulate or the month that I got it validated. I received it in Aug but did not get it validated until Dec.

sparks

Jul 12, 2009, 10:55 AM

Post #2 of 16 (9099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mloyds1] FM 3 Renwal

I thought you had 30 days after crossing the border to validate. Regardless I'd ask Immigration

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

bournemouth

Jul 12, 2009, 10:59 AM

Post #3 of 16 (9092 views)

Shortcut

On page 3 of your FM3 the date you formally entered Mexico will be typed in - that is the renewal date you use. Not the date the Consulate issued your FM3.

mloyds1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 16 (9088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] FM 3 Renwal

Thank you, that is what I needed to know.

sparks

Jul 12, 2009, 11:17 AM

Post #5 of 16 (9085 views)

Shortcut

BTW ... you do it in the 30 days before your date - not within the month of the date

esperanza

Jul 12, 2009, 12:32 PM

Post #6 of 16 (9065 views)

Shortcut

The FM-3 has an issue date and an expiration date typed on one of the pages. You have to start the renewal process no more than 30 days prior to the expiration date.

The OP has posted this same question on the General forum, the Living, Retiring forum, and the Travel forum--and maybe more. Could one of the moderators kindly delete the shorter threads with this same title?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Jul 12, 2009, 4:05 PM

Post #7 of 16 (9034 views)

Shortcut

"On page 3 of your FM3 the date you formally entered Mexico will be typed in - that is the renewal date you use. Not the date the Consulate issued your FM3. "

Well, yes and no. Some INM offices require renewal on the anniversary of issuance by the consulate, some will use the activation date (when you first entered México). You should ask your INM office how they view the rules.

My office recognizes the issuance date. But, oddly, several years ago I noticed there was a different renewal date -- the date I had applied for the renewal that year -- thus moving it up by a couple of weeks. It didn't seem worth arguing about, so I let it go. A few years later, I noticed that the renewal date had changed back to the original. I just go with the flow.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Jul 12, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #8 of 16 (9032 views)

Shortcut

On page 3 of the FM3 booklet, the original date of activation is typed in when you first entered México. 30 days before that date is when the first renewal must be applied for. If the FM3 has ever been renewed before, the Prorrogas (renewals) are listed on pages 11 and 12. On the line labeled concluyendo (conclude, or expiration) will be typed the expiration date, you must begin the renewal process 30 days before that date.

The FM3 must be renewed every year, but only four renewals are allowed, so every five years you must apply for a new FM3 visa.

Every Mexican government office does things a little differently, there seems to be no standard operating systems enforced, so I would recommend visiting the immigration office well in advance of the expiration date to ask them when they want you to to renew it, and what documentation they will require.

Some immigration offices will accept computer print outs of your last three US bank statements, some will only accept originals, I must furnish originals here. About four years ago they started requiring my bank statements to be translated in to Spanish by a government approved translator every year here in Cuernavaca, at $200 Pesos per page, and until about 3 or 4 years ago, they wanted 2 black and white passport sized photos that they never used. Not all immigration offices have the same foolish requirements.

If this is your first renewal, don't assume anything. Go and ask them what they require.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sparks

Jul 12, 2009, 8:06 PM

Post #9 of 16 (9007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] FM 3 Renwal

>>>> The FM3 must be renewed every year, but only four renewals are allowed, so every five years you must apply for a new FM3 visa.

I just hope they issue new books - mines falling apart with 6 months to go. Maybe even plasticized this time?

Papirex

Jul 12, 2009, 8:56 PM

Post #10 of 16 (8993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] FM 3 Renwal

Yes, you will get a new book on the fifth year Sparks. I thought that I might get a new book for the past couple of renewals. When it was returned to me after the second renewal, the center two pages had become detached from the staples holding the book together when it was in the possession of the immigration office. It was returned to me after the third renewal with the center pages still loose and detached. It was a little worrisome when I made a trip to The US a couple of years ago, but it was accepted everywhere.

Last year, after it was returned to me after the fourth renewal, it had been repaired. They had replaced the center staples and covered the center of the loose center pages with Scotch ® type tape to reinforce it. It looked like it was more trouble than it was worth to me. I should get another new book this coming November anyway.

I should probably get off my butt and finish getting my Mexican citizenship so I won't need to deal with this annual nightmare anymore. I have been putting it off after dealing with the monkeys in México City a few years ago. I have already paid the fees, etc. I just don't like dealing with ignorant idiots when I can avoid it.

Another thing to consider is that the longest term that a Mexican passport is valid is five years, if you pay the highest fee for it. I have seen the crap my wife needs to deal with when renewing her Mexican passport. There are no easy answers here. Man, I miss Alaska.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Judy in Ags

Jul 12, 2009, 9:05 PM

Post #11 of 16 (8991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] FM 3 Renwal

They do issue new books and the cost, at least here in Aguas. was the same as the renewable.

esperanza

Jul 12, 2009, 9:24 PM

Post #12 of 16 (8985 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Another thing to consider is that the longest term that a Mexican passport is valid is five years, if you pay the highest fee for it. I have seen the crap my wife needs to deal with when renewing her Mexican passport. There are no easy answers here. Man, I miss Alaska.

Rex

My Mexican passport, issued about four years ago, is good for 10 years. And you get it for half price if you have the INAPAM card.

Be of good cheer, Rex.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Jul 12, 2009, 10:18 PM

Post #13 of 16 (8979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] FM 3 Renwal

Well, I guess I just learned something new. My wife has always told me that Mexican passports were only issued for a maximum term of five years. I now suspect that maybe she was just trying to “save” money. We don't make many trips NOB, the last time she went to The US was about three years ago. She had to renew her passport at that time, a Mexican citizen must have a Mexican passport to leave and to re-enter this country, it has been a requirement for many years. When I asked her how long it was good for, she told me she just got a one year passport because it was the cheapest. I didn't like that, but I didn't argue with her. I learned a long time ago to never fight with the cook.

As for an INAPAM card, I have one, but Doris is still too young to qualify for one. Oddly, her 82 year old mother never has any trouble getting a visa from The US Embassy in México City good for ten years.

Rex

Ustlach

Jul 13, 2009, 1:58 PM

Post #14 of 16 (8935 views)

Shortcut

You have received the right answer from several different sources, all of whom are very well qualified to answer your question.

I would just like to advise you to be very diligent about keeping copies of everything you submit to the INS in the process of renewing your visa and make sure that all the copies are stamped by the person who takes your renewal application and handles all the paperwork and receipts.

When I recently renewed my visa and subsequently returned, four weeks later as they told me to do, they did not have the renewal ready. Told me to come back in a week. So I went back in a week at which time they told me I had not completed all the necessary forms and that I had not paid the fee. The "missing" form was the main application form, the "Solicitud de Tramite Migratorio."

I already knew not to argue with them, using logic, for example, that I could not have failed to submit that form because it is the primary application form for the visa renewal and they would never have accepted my request for a renewal without that form. Or, that they had checked off, on their own check list, all the required documents and payment receipts, indicating that they were there at the time they accepted the application from me.

No, I simply whipped out the copies of everything, all of which were stamped, officiously, by the person who took all the originals from me some five weeks early. I have no idea if everything was present and in order the week before when they said the visa was not ready yet.

The application form is no biggy; I could have filled out a new one. But the receipt for payment of the fee for the renewal, well, that would have been a different story. The fee is already over $100US and that is no insignificant sum.

So, my advise to everyone renewing their visas in Mexico is to get stamped copies of everything.

Marlene

Jul 14, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #15 of 16 (8883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] FM 3 Renwal

There were 10 year Mexican passports when my husband got his back in 2001.

jennifer rose

Jul 15, 2009, 6:37 PM

Post #16 of 16 (8825 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Mexican passports are issued for one-, three-, six- and ten-year terms.

You might find it helpful to consult SRE's webpages about passports at http://www.sre.gob.mx/pasaportes.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4