Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

gbatrucks

Jul 12, 2009, 1:15 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2959 views)

Shortcut

Display problems

Can't Post | Private Reply
My Toshiba portable has developed very thin (about 1/32") vertical lines running from the top of the screen to the bottom, and scattered at random across the width of the display. A friend in El Chante is having the same problem with her Dell laptop....any ideas?
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

taltman711

Jul 12, 2009, 8:54 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Display problems

If the problem is there when the computer is first turned on and running the POST, then it is almost certainly a hardware issue. If the lines are not there in the beginning, it may be a video driver issue. One way to be sure is to start up the computer in basic "safe mode" if you have windows. If the line is gone, restart the computer normally, download the newest version of the driver and then reload it. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm will explain how to get into safe mode.
If the line persisted in "safe mode", then it is either a bad display panel, a bad video card/chip, or bad connection between the two. Regardless, it really isn't something that a consumer would want to mess with, unless you enjoy ripping your laptop computer apart, repairing it and re-assembling the thing. Best to get a tech to fix it. Laptops require a lot of expertise to mess with the innards. Really easy to damage.

Tim

RickS

Jul 12, 2009, 9:15 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2926 views)

Shortcut

Well, you have a malady which is somewhat common with LCD display units. This can happen with new ones but is more common with older ones. It is generally a sign that you have a major problem that can only be remedied by getting a new monitor (which probably, in Jocotopec, is going to be a challenge!).

I am assuming that the lines will not go away even if you turn the laptop off for 24-48 hours, but if you have not tried that, do so. I have also seen 'one or two' lines go away if the monitor is left turned on for several hours (all day?).

Since there are 'many' lines fully across the monitor, this potential remedy will probably not work, but try it anyway:
press lightly, with your forefinger behind the monitor and your thumb on the screen, at the top of the monitor on one of the lines... in other words 'squeeze' the monitor lightly. Another similar potential 'fix' would be to 'thump' the monitor screen at the top where the line(s) start.

Don't automatically assume that it is the monitor... it could be the wiring (ribbon cable) between the motherboard and the monitor or the connections to same. Or it could be the video card. But since it is a laptop, the average layman would have a problem checking any of this out. Maybe the computer guy on Ocampo in Ajijic (or others) could check this and other things out for you if none of the above 'fixes' actually fix anything!

Good luck!

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 12, 2009, 9:18 AM)

gbatrucks

Jul 13, 2009, 7:44 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Display problems

Thanks for the help. I've tried starting in safe mode and pinching the display without results. The lines are always there whenever the screen becomes active, so it's time to go see the techs. The 'puter is about 4 years old.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

taltman711

Jul 13, 2009, 9:16 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2868 views)

Shortcut

You may want to look into a new laptop. If they have to replace the display panel, the cost may be about the same as a less expensive new laptop. Or, you could live with the lines until total failure or impending insanity when looking at the lines, which ever comes first. A less expensive new computer will be better than a 4 yr. old one unless you spent mega dollars on it when purchased. Plus, if you buy a computer with Windows Vista Home Premium or better now, you should get a "free" upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released. Almost all manufacturers are offering this as an incentive to buy. Microsoft is underwriting the program. I think the program is in effect until sometime in January. You should check for eligibility for any particular laptop, or other computer, when buying. Here, for example, is the HP program. http://www.hp.com/...umpid=reg_R1002_USEN
A search on each manufacturer's web site for "Windows 7" should give the info.

Tim

Oscar2

Jul 15, 2009, 9:51 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2830 views)

Shortcut

1. Unless I missed it, I donít believe its been suggested to go to on the screens desktop and right click on it and select Properties and on the drop down menu bar, go to Setting and select another Screen Resolution and see if by doing this the lines will go away.

1. Another, get to a stand alone monitor, found in computer stores or elsewhere and plug the monitor to the receptacle on your laptop and do the necessary keying on your laptop to access the monitor and see if the it clears the screen of lines on the accessed monitor.

Should the first effort work, try upgrading drivers. If this doesnít work than itís probably a faulty display component on the motherboard. I donít believe on laptops video cards are pluggable. If its integrated on the MB, replacement of Laptop is suggested. Its probably the best solution.

On the second effort, should the screen be clear of lines on external monitor, then you have the option of just getting another larger screen monitor at a lesser price than another laptop, plus you can enjoy a larger screen.

Buena Suerte

Judy in Ags

Jul 18, 2009, 8:07 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2780 views)

Shortcut

What model is your Toshiba? I have one that I am parting out. The motherboard went bad and it was absurdly expensive to replace. I've the display. It was really superior to what I have now.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4