Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ZSThomp

Jul 10, 2009, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3737 views)

Shortcut

Class/private instruction on accent reduction/elimination in Tijuana or BCN?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey all!

Well we've been here in Tijuana for a bouta month in the worst financial time of my life but it WILL get better they say. I do have a question. I'm what they call fluent in Spanish with slang and all but my accent isn't always that thick, I'd like it better. Anyone have any info on classes here in Baja California to teach accent reduction?
I'm still trying to get a permanent job in San Diego...I have three interviews coming up next week, I'm hoping that at least one of them grants me a job. And then of course it will be two weeks or till I get paid!! There's no sense of urgency in hiring. I don't know if it's always that way or just in my profession. Oh the worst thing is me engripe last week bien feo and I still have a horrible cough. I'm not fond of the fast-food injections of antibiotics that Mexico gives out but I may give in and go to a doc if I don't see subtle improvement. Thanks all for listening!

Zach

richmx2

Jul 12, 2009, 6:59 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ZSThomp] Class/private instruction on accent reduction/elimination in Tijuana or BCN?

" Oh the worst thing is me engripe last week bien feo and I still have a horrible cough."

HUH? I thought you said you were fluent in Spanish. That's pretty good Espanglish, which is a tricky language, and yo dofe mi sombrero a ti.

I don't think it's possible to lose an accent after puberty, and there is a lot of study to back this up. A prime example is that Henry Kissinger (who emigrated to the U.S. at 14) speaks with that German accent, while his younger brother (who was 12 when the family emigrated) doesn't.

All that aside, you can at least speak "proper" and understandable Spanish without much difficulty. I recommend "Enjoy Mexico in Spanish" -- which you can order from Amazon.com in the Kindle edition, or from the Mexican publisher, mailed to either Mexico or the U.S..

(full disclosure: I work for the publisher)

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

ZSThomp

Jul 29, 2009, 12:45 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Class/private instruction on accent reduction/elimination in Tijuana or BCN?

Thanks for the reply.

I will speak Spanglish on this forum as this is mainly an expatriate forum? In some words phrases, I have a native accent, but in others it's more difficult. That's why I'm asking if any one knows anything. I have looked at hundreds of books for spanish language in my life, I'm ready for the real McCoy. I speak Spanish every day most of the day. I will keep looking.

Zach

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4