Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

tashby

Jul 10, 2009, 11:08 AM

Post #1 of 13 (7027 views)

Shortcut

Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'll be meeting a friend in Patzcuaro later this month and I know she's on a tight budget. (As am I during these involuntarily retired days....) I did a quick search on the forums, but.....I don't have time to read ten different threads right now that may or may not have the info that may or may not be dated. Sorry, lazy.

About five years ago I stayed at an inexpensive place called Posada de Los Angeles (I think), and it was around 300pesos per night. If you're facing the biblioteca, it's down the street just to the right. Is that place still around, and is it still okay? Was basic but fine when I stayed there.

I remember also there were a handful up by the Catedral, which I imagine are still there. One was Posada de la Salud I think, and another was.....errr....Posada de someone's name.

Any recommendation on a central place (her first visit) in the 300-400 pesos range would be great. And if they offer parking, well, I'll buy you a cookie next time I see you. Thanks!

esperanza

Jul 10, 2009, 3:26 PM

Post #2 of 13 (7000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

You might want to try the Posada San Alejandro, Serrato #5A. Serrato is the street across from the Basílica. It's in your price range and has free off-street parking.

Are you baking my cookie yourself? And can we meet you in Pátzcuaro for an afternoon? We could pick up my cookie then.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Peter

Jul 10, 2009, 4:00 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Posada San Rafael in the southwest corner of la plaza grande was around $300 - 350 pesos for the two of us last autumn and is a good bit nicer than basic. It has its own restaurant (though we didn't try it) and free parking. I believe it is the largest of the hotels on the plazas. We spent a good part of our first morning walking around looking at and pricing rooms and this seemed the best for the price. Drawback: it did not have hot water 24 hrs. a day, not all do, but it was there at the hours we wanted it. I like morning showers, she likes nights.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jul 10, 2009, 4:02 PM)

Anonimo

Jul 10, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #4 of 13 (6969 views)

Shortcut

Yes; Posada Los Ángeles, Callejón Títere, down the street alongside the Biblioteca. It's been a couple of years since I looked in, but it was $280 a dbl then. It's a small, neat place in a picturesque street. Friendly owner, also.

I haven't stayed there.

Saludos,
Anonimo

jennifer rose

Jul 11, 2009, 3:51 PM

Post #5 of 13 (6915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Can't Post |
http://www.hotelvalmen.com

Peter

Jul 13, 2009, 1:07 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6861 views)

Shortcut

You received a link to the Hotel Valmen from Jennifer Rose. I give the Valmen an affirmative nod as it is quite nice at a no-frills price, about $250 pesos for a single (or maybe even double). It is one block over from Plaza Chica, close enough to be "close enough." Doesn't have parking if that is not an issue, just won't win the cookie.

tashby

Jul 13, 2009, 2:16 PM

Post #7 of 13 (6854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Just got back from a nice long weekend in Tapalpa to find these great suggestions. Thank you all. A wealth of choices.

(Esperanza, if we end up at Posada San Alejandro I promise you a freshly bought cookie. Two even. Or better yet, maybe comida at Marceva! I'm trying to sketch out a plan....always a bit tricky when trying to coordinate with someone else coming from somewhere else.)

And now it looks like there are some recent events that need to be considered. Bah.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jul 13, 2009, 2:20 PM)

tashby

Jul 26, 2009, 11:36 AM

Post #8 of 13 (6755 views)

Shortcut

FYI: Just got back from our visit.

Posada de Los Angeles won. Again.

Looked at the above places, but in this price range that place is pretty sweet. Parking available a couple blocks away, and now they even have wi-fi. Sort of.

colibri1

Jul 30, 2009, 8:56 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6670 views)

Shortcut

Where's Marceva and what do they serve? We'll be in Patzcuaro mid-Aug. Always looking for good comidas!
Thanks,
Marianne

(This post was edited by colibri1 on Jul 30, 2009, 8:57 AM)

esperanza

Jul 30, 2009, 9:15 AM

Post #10 of 13 (6663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Fonda Marceva is in Morelia. The restaurant specializes in typical food from Huetamo, in the Tierra Caliente.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

colibri1

Jul 30, 2009, 10:04 AM

Post #11 of 13 (6656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

ˇGracias!

tashby

Jul 30, 2009, 11:07 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Budget Accomodations in Patzcuaro?

Esperanza, thanks for not mentioning I almost asked for a straw to finish that bowl of aporellado (sp?) last week. I appreciate your discretion!

Colibri, Marceva is on Abasolo, a couple of blocks south of the Plaza de Armas. I wish I was there right now....

Also, I like the Sopa Tarasca at Restaurante Don Rafa in Patzcuaro. You can probably find a great version of this soup just about anywhere, but their's is definitely tasty. (I have no idea about the rest of the menu at that restaurant.)

colibri1

Jul 31, 2009, 9:45 AM

Post #13 of 13 (6583 views)

Shortcut

I like Don Rafa....it's kinda like abuelita's cooking. It's too bland for my hubby, but for me it's comfort food.
M

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4