Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

debartiste

Jun 25, 2009, 8:00 AM

Post #1 of 15 (7773 views)

Shortcut

San Miguel de Allende Humidity

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi folks,
I'm looking at the SMA weather site, which says for today, that the temp is 66, and "relative" humidity is 85%. But it says no rain. So this is confusing, since everything I read says SMA is a dry climate with humidity around 15%....and yes, I've read it's higher in rainy season, but 85%?

I'm considering leaving the midwest for good, and getting out of the humidity here that I've hated all my life, so I need to know:-) I'll be taking a few trips in fall to look at places I'm considering, SMA being one.

Is the website just wrong or is it a very odd day down there?:-)

esperanza

Jun 25, 2009, 8:05 AM

Post #2 of 15 (7766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [debartiste] San Miguel de Allende Humidity

Check here: http://www.wunderground.com/...amp;wuSelect=WEATHER. The website lets you look at weather history, too, to give you a better idea of how it was this time last year and all other times of the year, too.

There's a 70% chance of rain today in San Miguel de Allende. That's one reason the humidity is so high this morning.

The high temperature today is expected to be 82°F.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Jun 25, 2009, 8:34 AM

Post #3 of 15 (7757 views)

Shortcut

If you haven't found it already, visit this site for information about San Miguel De Allende:
http://www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com/ Lots of good information there, and the lady that runs the site, Carol Schmidt, will usually give good answers to any questions posted.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

debartiste

Jun 25, 2009, 8:36 AM

Post #4 of 15 (7747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] San Miguel de Allende Humidity

Thanks. I even have the book:-) The other weather site just confused me. Thanks for the replies!

jreboll

Jun 25, 2009, 2:26 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7711 views)

Shortcut

Also consider that 85% relative humidity in SM is not the same as 85% relative humidity at beach level. Your barometric pressure is very different from one place to the other.

gpkgto

Jun 25, 2009, 5:13 PM

Post #6 of 15 (7688 views)

Shortcut

I spent the day today in San Miguel. It was hot and after my touring around with a visiting friend, I felt very "sticky"--it was humid. It really didn't feel like 85%, but by San Miguel standards it was a humid day. It did not rain while I was there. I moved to Mexico from Pennsylvania and I grew up in Virginia and Washington, DC. Compared with those places, there is NO humidity in San Miguel--EVER!

sparks

Jun 25, 2009, 7:25 PM

Post #7 of 15 (7671 views)

Shortcut

An anomaly? I just got back from a week there and of the three days it rained it did not feel humid. What was most important was the nights were cool with a breeze

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

robrt8

Jun 25, 2009, 8:09 PM

Post #8 of 15 (7660 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks. I even have the book:-) The other weather site just confused me. Thanks for the replies!

I'm sorry you wasted your dough on that book.
San Miguel, aside from the brief but blessed rains, is very, very dry.

barbaroja

Jun 26, 2009, 7:36 AM

Post #9 of 15 (7618 views)

Shortcut

Hi debartiste,

This is Rick from SMAweather.com. We're from the midwest too and know just what that's like.

"Relative humidity" is a funny thing; it varies widely with the temperature. Most of the year is very dry here and it is not unusual for humidity to drop below 15% on a warm afternoon in the dry season. That same day we may see relative humidity close to 100% during the chilly mountain night and wake up to dew on the ground.

At 66 degrees, a humidity of 85% is not noticeable. Yesterday was cloudy and we had some light drizzles that didn't register as 'rain' as well as damp ground from recent rains that are pushing the humidity up. In the afternoon the temperature was 84 with a relative humidity of 35% and I'm so used to dry weather that I actually felt the humidity. Guess I can never go back to the midwest!

Enjoy your visits!

BTW, the San Miguel de Allende weather information on Weather Underground also comes from our weather station. It is located in the country a few miles north of town. Because of the configuration of the mountains, there is more rain in town than we get at the station and because of the buildings it tends to be a little warmer and more humid.

Barba Roja
http://www.mapaverdesanmiguel.org/

jerezano

Jun 27, 2009, 7:30 AM

Post #10 of 15 (7554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barbaroja] San Miguel de Allende Humidity/Chipi-chipi

Hello,

barbaroja said:>>>>>Yesterday was cloudy and we had some light drizzles that didn't register as 'rain'....<<<<<<<

Here in Zacatecas that kind of drizzle is known as "chipi-chipi(s)". How about in your part of México?

jerezano.

Papirex

Jun 27, 2009, 8:32 AM

Post #11 of 15 (7546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] San Miguel de Allende Humidity/Chipi-chipi

Here in Cuernavaca and in México City any light sprinkle of just a few raindrops is called “chipi chipi” too. Many newcomers believe that chipi chipi refers to all rain though, but it only means a very light sprinkle of raindrops in this area.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

mexhapati

Jun 28, 2009, 2:23 PM

Post #12 of 15 (7486 views)

Shortcut

it's a very different kind of humidity... happens only during the rainy season and it is not oppresive at all...actually cools everything down considerably to the point where you'll want a sweater even in mid july..

after living in minnesota most of my life i swear by the weather here in dolores hidalgo.

yahooo...looks like rain again today...

www.mexhapati.com
rolguin@mexhapati.com
René Olguín Muñoz
www.mexhapati.com
ph (52) 418 182 2098
cel(52 418 105 6160

sioux4noff

Jul 1, 2009, 7:30 PM

Post #13 of 15 (7398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] San Miguel de Allende Humidity/Chipi-chipi

Here in coastal Bucerias, Nayarit, chipi chipi is a very light drizzle, or sometimes a very very light rain.
Esta chipiando! ja ja

Peter

Jul 4, 2009, 3:23 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7319 views)

Shortcut

It can be raining and still have low humidity; the nearest to 100% humidity would be inside a cloud or fog bank. With 66 deg. this time of year there were probably low clouds possibly with scattered light sprinkles in places. Generally here in the central highlands it would be much drier than you are accustomed to, and almost any place here has an ideal climate - comparable to southern California coastal weather, at much less cost. SMA, although muy lindo, is a bit too much like the US for my taste, and with a comparable cost.

I have not heard the term "chipi-chipi" here in Michoacan, or at least not understood that is what they were talking about. But these drizzly days are the times I wear my chipiturco.

debartiste

Jul 5, 2009, 9:12 AM

Post #15 of 15 (7285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barbaroja] San Miguel de Allende Humidity

Thanks so much for all the great information. I never knew what "relative" humidity meant. Here in Chicago, it's just always high, relative or not relative, lol.
Deb (tired of the midwest, air conditioner on non-stop)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4