Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

AcaT

Nov 25, 2001, 9:00 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7394 views)

Shortcut

Daily rates: electricians, etc...

Can't Post |
Can anyone help me out on average/fair rates to pay tradesmen here in Mexico by the day for rehab work on a house?
I know that unskilled maids/laborers here in Acapulco are around 70-100 pesos per day. But I'd like to know what is reasonable to pay:
1. skilled electrician
2. skilled plumber
3. skilled concrete worker (construction, rendering/finish work).<p>My sense is that here workers don't really take hourly rates. It is either by the day or the job. I prefer to pay by the day as I'm a very hands on guy and on site, and as I have done a lot of work myself on a fixer in California and own rental property in California where tradesmen costs are probably the highest in the US, I am pretty experienced in different phases of construction/maintenance.
Thanks in anticipation.

Rolly

Nov 25, 2001, 9:41 PM

Post #2 of 4 (7387 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
“…fair rates here in Mexico…” That’s like asking what’s a fair rate in the USA. Mexico is a big country, and all kinds of costs vary from one part of the country to another as well as from city to village.<p>My own experience building in Mexico, as well as that of my Mexican friends, is that paying by the job is the best way to go. Day labor work for cleanup, etc is OK. But for skilled labor you need to negotiate a fixed price in advance. <p>You also need to pay attention to the requirements for paying the Mexican “social security tax” on the labor. Will you pay it, or will your skilled labor, hired by the job, be a contractor and take care of it himself? In some places the authorities pay attention to collecting; in other places you can ignore the rules with impunity. Ask around.<p>Good luck on your project. I hope you have as much fun as I did on mine.

John

Nov 27, 2001, 8:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (7386 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Can anyone help me out on average/fair rates to pay tradesmen here in Mexico by the day for rehab work on a house?
========================<p>This kind of question begs to be left alone because you really need to do more homework first but because many people read these forums the answeres follow.<p>
I think it would behoove you to ask the people who are going to work for you. In my experience I have found that they will tell you and tell you quite honestly what they want and why they want it.
=========================<p>: I know that unskilled maids/laborers here in Acapulco are around 70-100 pesos per day. But I'd like to know what is reasonable to pay:
: 1. skilled electrician
: 2. skilled plumber<p>===========================<p>Both professions are lumped into one, most often. That posistion is called fountenero. (spelling?) However, you can find skilled electricians who really know their stuff at your local CFE. I doubt that you will need that level of expertice to rewire/wire a remodel.<p>Cost per day? Between 800 and 1000 pesos with helpers provided by the contractor.<p>===========================<p>: 3. skilled concrete worker (construction, rendering/finish work).<p>Avanil is the word. A good avanil earns around 2000 pesos per week. A so so guy earns around 1500 per week. I would imagine that you will find costs slightly higher in your area.<p>Please note that you will also have to hire "peons" to help the avanil. Part of the reward for learning his proffession is that he no longer really has to mix mud. Peons earn between 750 and 1000 pesos per week.<p>=============================<p>: My sense is that here workers don't really take hourly rates. It is either by the day or the job. I prefer to pay by the day as I'm a very hands on guy and on site, and as I have done a lot of work myself on a fixer in California and own rental property in California where tradesmen costs are probably the highest in the US, I am pretty experienced in different phases of construction/maintenance.
: Thanks in anticipation.<p>========================<p>Get ready to go back to school.<p>

AcaT

Nov 28, 2001, 8:14 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7388 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks, this gives me a basis to go by. It is actually pretty close to what I had worked out given local prices for things. It is very, very hard trying to gauge rates by knowing the
daily rates for peons, and trying to work it out by US relativity schedules for say a laborer in relation to an electrician. I have to disagree though on them telling you honestly what they
expect. This is is a politically correct joke, right? I thought I left that nonsense behind in the US. I know everyone on this board loves Mexico and Mexicans, but c'mon, does does that mean we get ripped off? I am here and will participate and will pay a fair price, not more. A few might give an honest quote, but most will try an American on. I've had wildly inflated rate qotes here, for a 300 peso normal fee on pool maintenance to a 3,000 peso fee for the same job. Maybe this is an Acapulco dilemma? Then even for reputable tradesmen there is
the expected negotiating game where I've been told taking 20% off is fair, but I suspect starting from 50% is more realistic. Is this typical in other parts? I guess one good point would be not to get work done until you have been in area for quite a while, but sometimes there are things thaat just have to be done pronto.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4