Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Eva & David

Jun 30, 2009, 7:29 AM

Post #1 of 3 (10509 views)

Shortcut

Retiring in Rosarito/Esenada area. Need Info!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi!, my wife and I are looking to retire or should I say semi-retire in the Rosarito/Ensenada area April or May of 2010. We were in Rosarito a couple of weeks ago (only for the day) and liked what we saw. We have read everything we can find about the area but still have questions. Health insurance? Should we keep our policies or are there plans that are inexpensive available there? By the way, we are from Houston, TX. Also, is the crime what they say it is there or is it censationalized like the media does with everthing else? Approximate build cost for 3/2/2 house, ocean view with pool? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Any requirements to work in Mexico? Thank You!

Brian

Jul 1, 2009, 9:58 AM

Post #2 of 3 (10412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Eva & David] Retiring in Rosarito/Esenada area. Need Info!

"Also, is the crime what they say it is there or is it censationalized like the media does with everthing else? "

For up to date information about security issues in that region, I recommend Maggie's Madness blog. She lives in the same fraccionamiento where I lived just north of Rosarito. Her sources come from local Mexican newspapers. Of course, sensationalism sells papers but that doesn't mean one should disregard he veracity of the reporting. Mayor Torres of Rosarito blames the United States press for the collapse of tourism and real estate sales. After reading a few of Maggie's entries, you will be able to judge for yourself why people are staying away, and leaving, in droves.

http://marjorieanndrake.blogspot.com/

BajaGringo

Aug 18, 2009, 10:25 AM

Post #3 of 3 (9977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Eva & David] Retiring in Rosarito/Esenada area. Need Info!

There is crime in Tijuana, a large border city of 1.5 million+ and some of that crime has spilled over into the Rosarito area. The vast majority of it is narco related. Very few foreigners who are not involved in some way with the narco activity have been directly affected. That having been said, crime can get you anywhere, north or south of the border and it is always wise to use common sense and take precautions wherever you go.

If that reality concerns you, I would look south of Ensenada as there are many nice, smaller communities where you can find a very safe area, lower cost of property and a kick back lifestyle.

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4