Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jeanneatlixco

Jun 27, 2009, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 19 (14943 views)

Shortcut

Cream

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings,

Suggestions for buying heavy cream, whipping cream and light cream.? I need to consume only pasturized milk products due to brucillosis risk. Thanks. Jeanne

esperanza

Jun 27, 2009, 2:08 PM

Post #2 of 19 (14921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeanneatlixco] Cream

Whipping cream is crema para batir. It's available at any supermarket.

In the supermarket refrigerated dairy case, you will also find crema para la mesa (similar to creme fraiche) and crema acidificada (sour cream).

Other than crema para batir, I haven't seen either heavy cream, light cream, or half-and-half in the supermarkets here in Mexico. You might try replacing heavy cream with media crema, sold in tetrapaks (like juice boxes) in your supermarket's boxed milk aisle.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Jun 27, 2009, 3:37 PM

Post #3 of 19 (14909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Cream

Doesn't Lyndcott put out a half and half? - I think I've seen it in the Chapala area.

esperanza

Jun 27, 2009, 5:34 PM

Post #4 of 19 (14896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cream

I've seen Lyncott's crema para batir, but not half and half.

YMMV.

bournemouth

Jun 27, 2009, 7:02 PM

Post #5 of 19 (14887 views)

Shortcut

I'll check next time I'm in Superlake but I'm pretty sure it is there.

esperanza

Jun 27, 2009, 7:47 PM

Post #6 of 19 (14878 views)

Shortcut

SuperLake is a thing apart. In 99.999% of Mexico, there is no SuperLake. The OP did not say where she is living, but I'm thinking it's not at Lake Chapala.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 27, 2009, 8:52 PM

Post #7 of 19 (14867 views)

Shortcut

Re: Lyncott half-and-half

Lyncott does list half-and-half on their website:

Lyncott half-and-half

But like esperanza, I've never seen it, or any of their products other than crema para batir, in any store in Mexico.

More Lyncott products here:

Lyncott -- todos nuestros productos

FWIW,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

bournemouth

Jun 28, 2009, 6:30 AM

Post #8 of 19 (14842 views)

Shortcut

You are right Esperanza, about SuperLake being a thing apart, however I don't think that Lyncott makes Half and Half simply for a limited distribution in the Chapala area. It has to be in Megas, Chedrauis and Superamas etc.

Thanks, Kimpatsu, for checking the Lyncott site.

esperanza

Jun 28, 2009, 6:44 AM

Post #9 of 19 (14834 views)

Shortcut

Bournemouth, I shop have shopped regularly at Mega, Soriana, and Superama in both Guadalajara and Morelia and have shopped at Chedraui in San Cristóbal de las Casas. I've shopped at Wal-Mart and Superama in Mexico City and at Mega in San Miguel de Allende. No Lyncott half and half has been available at any of those stores. Kimpatsu says the same thing: he's never seen it for sale where he's shopped.

I mentioned SuperLake because you said you'd seen it there. I've seen it there, too--but nowhere else in my shopping experience in Mexico. I'll keep looking, though. It would be good to find it.

bournemouth

Jun 28, 2009, 7:07 AM

Post #10 of 19 (14829 views)

Shortcut

It can be a quest for us both - to find supplies of half and half!

tashby

Jun 28, 2009, 9:44 AM

Post #11 of 19 (14814 views)

Shortcut

Well, as long as we're on the subject....

The other day I returned from the Central Abastos in Guadalajara with some real live - well, almost live - fresh cherries. When it dawned on me that I'd paid almost 10cents U.S. per cherry, I decided I had to do something important with the little gems. So I found a recipe for a cherry tart that a friend had sent me. Never made it before. The middle of the tart called for a bakeless mixered blend of cream cheese and heavy cream, then refrigerated. I had to substitute "crema para batir" because I couldn't find heavy cream at the local, inglorious Walmart.

Could that be why it never quite set even though it was refrigerated plenty? Or am I just a hack in the cocina?

Tasted great, by the way. Mmmmmmm....cherries.

esperanza

Jun 28, 2009, 10:18 AM

Post #12 of 19 (14810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Cream

Just a hack...*sigh*. Not you, tashby.

Google 'clafouti'. It's one of my all-time favorite cherry desserts, and sooo easy. For next time you decide to break the bank on fruit...

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 28, 2009, 11:31 AM

Post #13 of 19 (14791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Cream

In Reply To
Well, as long as we're on the subject....

The middle of the tart called for a bakeless mixered blend of cream cheese and heavy cream, then refrigerated. I had to substitute "crema para batir" because I couldn't find heavy cream at the local, inglorious Walmart.

Could that be why it never quite set even though it was refrigerated plenty? Or am I just a hack in the cocina?

Tasted great, by the way. Mmmmmmm....cherries.

Lyncott whipping cream has the same fat content as heavy cream (36%) so it should have worked just fine. My wife uses it extensively in varied dishes from sauces to desserts that call for heavy cream and it works perfectly. Lyncott crema para batir is what they use in the Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in Mexico City.

Helados Bing used to sell heavy cream at their plant in Guadalajara but since Lyncott became so readibly available we no longer acquire it there.

bournemouth

Jun 28, 2009, 11:39 AM

Post #14 of 19 (14784 views)

Shortcut

Walmart in Ajijic also has Lyncott's half and half - maybe we need to lower our sights when looking for it. I was thinking in terms of the better grocery stores.

esperanza

Jun 28, 2009, 11:55 AM

Post #15 of 19 (14778 views)

Shortcut

That's great, bournemouth! Coffee is so good with half and half.

On the other hand, here in Morelia we like it just fine with leche Clavel.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 28, 2009, 12:04 PM

Post #16 of 19 (14776 views)

Shortcut

Re: Cream

Just as a follow-up, it turns out that "crema" is one of many products regulated under Mexico's "Health Control Regulations" (Reglamento de la Ley General de Salud en Materia de Control Sanitario de Actividades, Establecimientos, Productos y Servicios).

Article 378 of the Regulations specifies eight classifications of crema according to their milk fat content and other parameters, mainly acidity and percentage of solids other than milk fat. Here are the classifications with a few definitions noted:

1. Crema (minimum of 30% milk fat, maximum 0.1% acidity expressed as lactic acid, no more than 7.5% solids other than milk fat)
2. Crema ácida cultivada
3. Crema acidificada
4. Media crema (minimum 20% milk fat and no more than 10% solids other than fat)
5. Crema ligera, o crema ligera para café
6. Crema para pastelería
7. Crema para batir (minimum of 30% milk fat, with added thickening agents)
8. Crema pesada (minimum of 35% milk fat)

esperanza suggests media crema as a substitute for heavy cream. I just want to point out that many of the canned or Tetra-Pak media crema products are rather artificial. For example, Nestle Media Crema lists its ingredients as "butter fat, skim milk, and phosphate of soda." Doesn't appear to be any real cream in there at all. Other brands of media crema include so much thickening agent (like xanthan gum) that the texture and appearance (and probably taste) resemble thick Elmer's Glue, especially when cold.

FWIW,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

arbon

Jun 28, 2009, 12:56 PM

Post #17 of 19 (14763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] Cream

Can't Post |
In the Op pasteurization was asked about, I have not seen that answered, not even in the Mexican "Health Control Regulations" did I miss something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anonimo

Jun 28, 2009, 1:30 PM

Post #18 of 19 (14753 views)

Shortcut

An American friend in Pátzcuaro combines milk and cream to make half and half. Hecho.

Personally, I usually drink my coffee black, unless I'm having cafee con leche.

Buen Provecho,
Anonimo

bournemouth

Jun 28, 2009, 3:16 PM

Post #19 of 19 (14728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] Cream

Kimpatsu - your research always amazes me - you come up with such interesting stuff that most of us have overlooked - keep at it please.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4