Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Marlene

Jun 27, 2009, 10:49 AM

Post #1 of 12 (11068 views)

Shortcut

"Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband who has his Master's in "channel surfing", called me to see this TV show he happened across. It's called "Gringo en Mexico". Has anyone else seen it or met Robert Alexander in his travels around Mexico? I did a bit of research and found an article done by the USA Today. It turns out GEM, who bravely does the entire show in Spanish, is an international phenomenon and the show is apparently viewed in 40 countries.

http://www.usatoday.com/...8-10-13-mexico_N.htm

sparks

Jun 27, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #2 of 12 (11021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

Lots of him on YouTube but it's pretty bad. Like the article says his pronunciation is terrible. Surprisingly find a number of gringos in Mexico with vocabulary and no ear for the music of the language

http://www.youtube.com/user/MUERTE2020

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Jun 27, 2009, 2:13 PM)

Marlene

Jun 27, 2009, 2:18 PM

Post #3 of 12 (11015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

I commented on his accent to my husband, who really wasn't phased by it and continued to watch with interest. He replied "well, he's a gringo" and shrugged. I think Mexicans really appreciate that a foreigner has dived in and is pointing out these interesting things about their country. What can we say? He has his own TV show in 40 countries!

sparks

Jun 27, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #4 of 12 (11011 views)

Shortcut

At least he's not French Canadian. I can't understand their Spanish at all but Mexicans seem to or fake it well

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

johanson

Jun 27, 2009, 6:49 PM

Post #5 of 12 (10968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

You know I have noticed that with my accent when I speak Spanish that is more English but also somewhat German or Dutch that I receive as much if not more respect than those who speak perfect Mexican Spanish, because I am trying. Folks when you try to speak Spanish, you are shown so much appreciation

Yo soy pocho pero de Europa y hablo mas o menos D y NL pero mi madre y padre estan de Suecia. Sadly my Swedish sucks.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jun 28, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #6 of 12 (10858 views)

Shortcut

¡Bueno, muchachos! Fortunately after living in Xalapa, Veracruz for 37 years and having majored in Spanish as well as having my "pillow teacher"(¡Mi esposa!) my Spanish is quite good but with a notable accent since I only really began using the language in my early 20's. Anyway, I really enjoy when the locals listen to me talk while looking at me dressed in Polo shirt, REI zip-off shorts/pants, white compresion knee socks, sandals, baseball cap and camera hanging from my neck and they finally get up the comjunction(?) to ask me..."Oiga, ¿Ud. no es de por aquí verdad? Y les contesto...¡Siiii, como nooooo! Lo que pasa es que hoy me disfrace de gringo. ¿Como lo ve? Oiga, oiga, ¿y hablo como gringo? Y me contestan...¡Si, pero ya vayase!(¡No vaya ser contagiosa mi demencia!).
I'll give a free walking tour of downtown Xalapa to the first one to CORRECTLY translate/interpret the Spanish I just wrote above. Ready, get set, go!!!!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

La Isla

Jun 28, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #7 of 12 (10823 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

In Reply To
"Oiga, ¿Ud. no es de por aquí verdad? Y les contesto...¡Siiii, como nooooo! Lo que pasa es que hoy me disfrace de gringo. ¿Como lo ve? Oiga, oiga, ¿y hablo como gringo? Y me contestan...¡Si, pero ya vayase!(¡No vaya ser contagiosa mi demencia!).
I'll give a free walking tour of downtown Xalapa to the first one to CORRECTLY translate/interpret the Spanish I just wrote above. Ready, get set, go!!!!

Here's my translation:

Say, you aren't from around here, are you? And I answer, of course I am. What's going on is that today I'm disguised as a gringo. What do you think of my disguise? Hey, do I talk like a gringo? And they answer, Yes, you do. Get out of here, so we don't catch whatever's ailing you!

jerezano

Jun 29, 2009, 9:18 AM

Post #8 of 12 (10762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

¡Oye Roy!

Que bueno es verte aquí en este forum. No has pasado por acá por muchísimo tiempo. Tu voz suena muy bien.

Quote: >>>"Oiga, ¿Ud. no es de [por?] aquí verdad? Y les contesto...¡Siiii, como nooooo! Lo que pasa es que hoy me disfrac[z?]e[o?] de gringo. ¿Co[ó]mo lo[me?] ve? Oiga, oiga, ¿y hablo como gringo? Y me contestan...¡Si[í] pero ya va[á]yase!(¡No va[á]ya ser contagiosa mi demencia!). <<<<

"Hey! You're not from here, are you?" And I answer them: Sure, I am. Today I'm just pretendin' to be a gringo. How do I look? And don't I yell like a gringo?" And they answer me, "Yeah, but get along with you...." (My craziness is not catching!)

Hmmm....... Your last phrase is a bit confusing. ¿No quieren contagiarse de mi demencia? They don't want to catch my craziness. Or I'm disappointed because my craziness is not being picked up? Or just the statement that My craziness is not catching? The idea being that they don't appreciate my humor?

And that "...de por aquí..."is not what they would say here in Zacatecas.

A better speaker of Spanish needs to translate the idea of your last phrase. I can't.

Compunction= reparo. I can't find the word compjunción.

Welcome back to these foro.

jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jun 29, 2009, 9:33 AM)

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jun 29, 2009, 11:04 PM

Post #9 of 12 (10694 views)

Shortcut

La Isla y Jerezano:
¡Muy bien, muchachitos, muy bien! It looks like both of you have won a free walking tour of downtown Xalapa. So, when will you be arriving? Just remember, the beers and food go on your tabs!!!
¡Hasta pronto!

gpkgto

Jun 30, 2009, 6:15 AM

Post #10 of 12 (10673 views)

Shortcut

The GEM is married to a Mexican lady who used to be on a talk/gossip show on TV. She has retried (or been retired by the program), but he had an at-home teacher, which can help.

La Isla

Jun 30, 2009, 9:04 PM

Post #11 of 12 (10607 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] "Gringo en Mexico" TV Show

In Reply To
La Isla y Jerezano:
¡Muy bien, muchachitos, muy bien! It looks like both of you have won a free walking tour of downtown Xalapa. So, when will you be arriving? Just remember, the beers and food go on your tabs!!!
¡Hasta pronto!

I had fun translating your Spanish, and I'd love to collect my prize, but I''m not planning to come to Jalapa any time soon. In your opinion, when is the best time to visit your fair city?

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 4, 2009, 9:24 PM

Post #12 of 12 (10413 views)

Shortcut

La Isla:
Guess I am prejudiced, but I love living here all year round since the average temperature is 68F. Sometimes it is warmer and sometimes hotter, but generally the climate is temperate. Right now it is raining a lot because of the hurricanes down south on the Gulf Coast, but that keeps it cooler here and an incredibly lush green. January and February can get pretty cool, but a few warm days always squeeze in.
So, ¡Bienvenida! whenever you can get here and please let me know when you want your tour.
¡Hasta pronto!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4