Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

sparks

Jan 3, 2002, 9:49 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3444 views)

Shortcut

Household repairs with cement buildings

Can't Post |
When in DF with woman friend and family I was trying to help (re)hang curtains. We went everywhere looking for what I was used to, including; cement drill-bits, drywall screws, plastic expandable inserts .... while shunning wooden pegs (dowel) that were offered me.<p>I guess I needed to look like I knew what I was doing so the wooden pegs were not offered a second time until I failed my project. <p>The plaster was somehow suspended 1/4-1/2" "above" the cement. If you (I) drill through the plaster you find is is not deep enough or substantial enough to support (American) inserts. What did work was filling the space with a wooden peg(s) and screwing the curtain rod into the wood.<p>This was in a 50+/- year old high-rise on the UNAM Campus. Not sure how much construction has changed over the years and/or varies with situations ... but was interesting.

RexC

Jan 4, 2002, 3:21 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3438 views)

Shortcut

Household repairs with cement buildings/plastic inserts

Can't Post |
I found the plastic inserts and reasonably priced concrete drill bits (about 5 or 6 US Bucks) at Home Mart in Mexico City about two months ago. I used longer screws than the originals, so I could drill in to the bricks behind the plaster, when rehanging most of the curtains at our house in Cuernavaca.<p>The original installation had the wooden pegs, I forget the name of them right now, in the plaster. The plaster in most Mexican houses I have seen is very soft, and "Punky." Anything attatched to the plaster only, pulls out fairly easily. <p>It looked like the original installer had drilled the holes using a pick. Most of them were like little craters. Drilling in to the bricks, and using longer screws solved that problem. It also makes it a much stronger job that way too.<p>I have found a lot of stuff at Home Mart that I have trouble finding here. Most things can be found here, but it is a lot easier going to Home Mart when I'm in the city, than it is searching through 15 or 20 places here. Prices are generally lower too.<p><p><p>: When in DF with woman friend and family I was trying to help (re)hang curtains. We went everywhere looking for what I was used to, including; cement drill-bits, drywall screws, plastic expandable inserts .... while shunning wooden pegs (dowel) that were offered me.<p>: I guess I needed to look like I knew what I was doing so the wooden pegs were not offered a second time until I failed my project. <p>: The plaster was somehow suspended 1/4-1/2" "above" the cement. If you (I) drill through the plaster you find is is not deep enough or substantial enough to support (American) inserts. What did work was filling the space with a wooden peg(s) and screwing the curtain rod into the wood.<p>: This was in a 50+/- year old high-rise on the UNAM Campus. Not sure how much construction has changed over the years and/or varies with situations ... but was interesting.<p>

sparks

Jan 4, 2002, 8:55 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3435 views)

Shortcut

Household repairs with cement buildings/plastic inserts

Can't Post |
I think the difference was that this building was solid cement and cement gets very hard after 50-60 years. Brick and mortar would have been softer but I would have felt less safe 12 stories up. I ended up at the HomeMart also within a mile from UNAM.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4