Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gpkgto

Jun 12, 2009, 9:28 AM

Post #1 of 15 (5831 views)

Shortcut

April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have air conditioning in 2 bedrooms only. Basically only use it only at night (and for some siestas). I use a dishwasher 2-3 times per week and washer and dryer 3-4 times a week. This was the biggest bill I've gotten in my 9 years in Mexico.

(This post was edited by gpkisner on Jun 12, 2009, 9:29 AM)

joaquinx

Jun 12, 2009, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 15 (5824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Can't Post |
I would first check the meter and see if it had been misread. Secondly, compare the rates with your last bill and see if they have been risen. Both problems are common here and nob.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

gpkgto

Jun 12, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #3 of 15 (5811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

The system is all OK--the price just goes up. My normal bill is around 2200-2600. I wasn't really complaining--just the price of being an old gringo in Mexico!

joaquinx

Jun 12, 2009, 10:44 AM

Post #4 of 15 (5806 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I got carried away. I have a large refrigerator, TV, Computer, a few light bulbs, and some electronics that need re-chargers. My usual bill for two months is around 140 pesos. Last winter, because of the room heater, it went up to 700 for two months.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

ken_in_dfw

Jun 12, 2009, 11:48 AM

Post #5 of 15 (5796 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Here in Texas, where A/C is considered a God-given right, I just paid $322 USD (converts to $4300 MXN) for electricity on my 1700 sf home. I would gladly trade places, because I know that the season of high bills is just beginning here, whereas most of you in the Central Highlands are going into the rainy season now.

Sigh. Some day.

Ken

gpkgto

Jun 12, 2009, 12:00 PM

Post #6 of 15 (5789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Every area of Mexico pays a different rate per Kwh--even in my town the rate varies. I suspect I am near the top.

sparks

Jun 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5789 views)

Shortcut

By allright ..... you mean you used the same amount of KiloWatts as previous months

I don't fully understand the rate system here but my bills have dropped from the $2500-3000 range to $600 for no apparent reason except that I was stuck in category of past high usage

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Axixic

Jun 12, 2009, 7:24 PM

Post #8 of 15 (5732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

In Reply To
Here in Texas, where A/C is considered a God-given right, I just paid $322 USD (converts to $4300 MXN) for electricity on my 1700 sf home. I would gladly trade places, because I know that the season of high bills is just beginning here, whereas most of you in the Central Highlands are going into the rainy season now.

Sigh. Some day.

Ken

Our Mexican CFE bills are for 2 months at a time, not for one month like yours is. I'm a native Texan and I like not really needing air-conditioning here. I did buy a small portable "swamp cooler" like people use in West Texas, which cools some and adds humidity to the air but I'm glad that I don't need to feel clammy air-conditioning on my skin.

ken_in_dfw

Jun 12, 2009, 9:24 PM

Post #9 of 15 (5704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PamelaDelafield] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Can't Post |
Thanks, Pamela! Now you've made me feel twice as bad!

The reality is that Mexico (at least the Central Highlands) on a hot day is more tolerable than Texas almost anytime.

Ken

Judy in Ags

Jun 13, 2009, 12:25 PM

Post #10 of 15 (5637 views)

Shortcut

I'd say you're pretty lucky.

Carron

Jun 13, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #11 of 15 (5627 views)

Shortcut

Two fans, energy-saving light bulbs, two laptops in almost constant use, and a frost-free refrigerator. CFE for the past 2 months: 118 pesos. No kidding.

tepetapan

Jun 14, 2009, 5:50 AM

Post #12 of 15 (5574 views)

Shortcut

CFE has a web site showing rates per region and by season. Your rate seems a bit high for Catemaco but trying to figure it out takes time. If you exceed the normal rate 3 billing cycles the following 3 billing cycles are at the increased rate.
You can find out ( sort of..) what is making the old meter spin by disconnecting one thing at a time and watching the meter and how fast it is going. Maybe the refrig. is working overtime due to a loss of freon??

johanson

Jun 14, 2009, 10:41 AM

Post #13 of 15 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Please read the CFE regulations where they talk NOT of 3 billing periods, but of 12 months (6 billing periods) here is the key statement

El consumo mensual promedio se determinará con el promedio móvil del consumo registrado por el usuario en los últimos 12 meses. To see the whole web place, please go to

http://www.cfe.gob.mx/...?Tarifa=DACAnual2003

I do know that in the tariff one area where the figure is 250 KWH that to get off the DAC rate you have to consume a total of less than 3000 KWH during a 12 month period. What I don't know is if one reaches 3000 KWH on a new meter much sooner than the initial 12 months whether you go immediately to DAC (the high rate) or not. I was told by one employee at CFE that he thought so but was not sure

sioux4noff

Jun 14, 2009, 5:36 PM

Post #14 of 15 (5487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Pete J, I had someone ask me that question recently and meant to send it on to you. I imagine it would go to DAC as soon as you hit that 12 month amount.
If you get a new meter, everything starts over, right? So if the previous owner (and CFE customer) was DAC, you aren't automatically DAC until you "earn" it yourself. I think.

johanson

Jun 14, 2009, 6:50 PM

Post #15 of 15 (5475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] April- May electric bill 3400 pesos

Here is what I understand, if you move and open a new account in a house that was being charged at the high or DAC rate, you start all over, when your name goes on the new account. It doesn't change without the ownership or name change. I've been on DAC now for quite a while. I was required to get a different type or new meter when I added photo voltaic solar panels. When I changed meters, my rates stayed the same, you know they stayed at the higher DAC rate.

I hope that helps.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4