Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

gpkgto

Jun 10, 2009, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 12 (6513 views)

Shortcut

What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend will be visiting me in two weeks. Part of the visit will be 2 days/3 nights in Tlaquepaque. She's a shop-a-holic and bargian hunter. She also enjoys a few beers in the evening in a pleasant environment. We will be there from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. Any suggestions?

esperanza

Jun 10, 2009, 4:21 PM

Post #2 of 12 (6491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Saturday is the best day for Tlaquepaque. All the stores stay open late on Saturdays; on Sundays, they usually close around 3PM.

Shop all along Av. Juárez first. Then stop for something refreshing to drink at El Parián. The food isn't worth the prices at any of the Parián's restaurants, but a cold drink would be nice. Next, walk one block to Av. Independencia, the walking street, and keep shopping.

Go to Adobe (it's on Independencia, the walking street) for a drink or two. Adobe is a high-end decorative arts store with a bar/restaurant at the back and a sidewalk café out in front, great for people-watching while you slurp down a margarita or two. The food is also very good but pricey.

If you'd rather eat something a little more off-the-beaten-track, go to El Pescador Rojas, just around the corner from Tlaquepaque's Mercado Municipal, for some of the best seafood I've ever eaten in Mexico. Try the shrimp cocktail, the shrimp empanadas, the whole fried red snapper, the guacamole, the...well, it's just fabulous. Sunday gets very crowded in this restaurant, so try to get there around 2:00 to get a table without a long wait.

The best folk art store in Tlaquepaque, IMHO, is Herlinda Palacios, a little farther down Independencia. Sra. Palacios has a superb eye for the best of the best in every medium. Your friend will spend a bundle and go home loaded down.

The big do-not-miss-it shopping spree is the Sunday artisans' market in Tonalá. Your friend will think she died and went to Heaven. Be sure to go EARLY--get there as early as 8AM--to avoid at least some of the crowds.

This market is on the main street in Tonalá. You can't miss it and you can't possibly see it all. Your energy will run out long before you run out of booths and stores. You have to do it, even if it's only this once.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

gpkgto

Jun 10, 2009, 4:30 PM

Post #3 of 12 (6487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Thanks--that's just what I needed to know!

Georgia

Jun 10, 2009, 6:15 PM

Post #4 of 12 (6478 views)

Shortcut

I have an apartment in Tlaquepaque, which is where I frequently spend my weekends. On Friday nights in Tlaquepaque they have "Noche de Ronda" with free entertainment in parque Hidalgo, over near the two big churches. It is under cover, usually starts with a little something for the kids, may be folk dancers, mariachis, ranchero singers, even sometimes the Jalisco Philharmonic. And then there are fireworks. The streets are busy and fun. Ends around 10.

I know Esperanza doesn't like the food there, but for entertainment and, I think, good food at a fair price, on Saturday from 2 - 4 at El Patio on Independencia you can enjoy one hour of a very pleasant duet singing traditional songs of the 50s, 60s and 70s (Mexican songs) and then at 3 they have a female mariachi group that rocks the house. Friendly atmosphere, lots of fun.

If you like horsemanship and rodeos, not too far away is the Lienzo de Charros just near Parque Agua Azul - about a 10 minute taxi drive. The event begins at noon and costs 30 pesos. Bring your own cushion or rent one for a couple of pesos. Refreshments are available. Live music. Amazing feats of horsemanship representing skills needs for cattle herding on large haciendas.

Skip the food, but do have a drink in the evening at the Parian. This is in the center of tourist Tlaquepaque and a famous landmark. It's a gazebo surrounded by about 17 restaurant/bars. I use the term restaurant lightly. The entertainment is great and varied: folk dancers, mariachis, or ranchero singers. Always a surprise. Besides that there are roving mariachis who will play your favorite song for 120 pesos.

The Ceramics Mueseum on Independencia is well worth a visit, as is the museum shop. Right across the street is Bustamante's gallery/store which is kind of an eye opener.

For excellent cuisine I recomment El Nahual on Juarez, up past the Parian or a new restaurant, Tlaquepasta, in Quinta Don Jose. The chef is superb. Other good restaurants are Casa Fuerte on Independencia and Adobe. Adobe now has a conjunto of musicians from Vera Cruz for Carribbean flavor music.

Sunday is tianguis day in Tonala. It is a huge shopping market, about 15 minutes from Tlaquepaque. If you don't like crowds, this is not for you. If you don't mind crowds, it's an experience. You can observe glass blowers in a little mall on the main market street.

Sunday in Tlaquepaque is family day. Everyone is out and about. There are street entertainers, food stands, and given the current economic environment, some of the shops are staying open later.

(This post was edited by Georgia on Jun 10, 2009, 6:20 PM)

esperanza

Jun 10, 2009, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 12 (6471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

In Reply To
I know Esperanza doesn't like the food there, but for entertainment and, I think, good food at a fair price, on Saturday from 2 - 4 at El Patio on Independencia you can enjoy one hour of a very pleasant duet singing traditional songs of the 50s, 60s and 70s (Mexican songs) and then at 3 they have a female mariachi group that rocks the house. Friendly atmosphere, lots of fun.

It's not that I don't like the food at El Patio, although I think there are other, better places to eat in Tlaquepaque.

It's that my purse was stolen at El Patio, causing me nearly a year of unmitigated serious problems with replacing everything from house keys to credit cards to bank accounts. I can't bring myself to go back there.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Georgia

Jun 10, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #6 of 12 (6466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Bummer! But, think about it, I did remember you weren't fond of the place! Actually, since we first were there about 10 yeras ago, they've really improved their fare, and the prices and entertainment are great for someone new to Mexico - a little bit of everything all in one place.

gpkgto

Jun 11, 2009, 6:35 AM

Post #7 of 12 (6443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Thanks for the help--we are going to have a terrific visit with your help--just what we needed.

chinagringo

Jun 11, 2009, 5:41 PM

Post #8 of 12 (6419 views)

Shortcut

While we do agree with some of Esperanza's restaurant recommendations in Tlaquepaque, we would also agree with Georgia's on the El Patio. We have been going there since the late 90's - have never had a bad meal - and their waiters are real pros! There are a couple of them that have worked there since we first went and they seem to remember us on each visit. Either they are very good at smoozing or they have great memories! We have also enjoyed a number of great dinners at the "No Name Restaurant" in Tlaquepaque. Would advise looking in Tlaquepaque but not purchasing until you have ventured to Tonala as prices can be much lower on certain items.

Tonala on a Sunday is a real experience! Were the most comfortable shoes you own! Should you be inclined to have lunch, we would highly recommend "El Bouquenette" (sp?) located on the back side of the Hotel Tonala. Oscar, the owner, is a real character and takes a good deal of pride in his establishment. Great margaritas, passable guacamole, great enchaladas mole and great mocahetes!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

gpkgto

Jun 12, 2009, 5:04 AM

Post #9 of 12 (6387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Thanks--I think we will have to visit T&T again--there is just too much to see and EAT in a couple days. You have all been a great help--thanks again for your time and trouble.

toucantango

Jun 23, 2009, 12:17 PM

Post #10 of 12 (6297 views)

Shortcut

If you can find someone who knows the way to the papier mache factory and the factory where them make beautiful glass articles out of recycled glass both are well worth the effort to get to them. They are both somewhere in Tonala, I don't know directions as we went there with a group of others.

http://www.toucantango.ca

gpkgto

Jun 23, 2009, 12:28 PM

Post #11 of 12 (6291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toucantango] What to do for two days in Tonala and Tlaquepaque

Thanks--both sound very interesting!

charalito

Aug 10, 2009, 3:42 PM

Post #12 of 12 (6042 views)

Shortcut

Go to Tonala if your friend likes to collect Mexican art it's a great place to bargain! Some of the vendors there also are willing to work with you if you live in the US, depending on where u live they can ship large items to the mexican border and you can pick up the merchandise there on truck and take it with u. The majority of the times because its "artesania mexicana" they won't tax you for it. Enjoy and have fun it's a really good place to visit.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4