Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Abq

Feb 1, 2002, 11:47 AM

Post #1 of 3 (5048 views)

Shortcut

How hard is it to install a water pipe in a wall?

Can't Post |
Just bought a house with a great roof deck that has an electrical outlet and water supply so a washer can be used up there. One problem, the seller forgot to install a drain. Any economical suggestions?

Dutch

Feb 1, 2002, 12:17 PM

Post #2 of 3 (5042 views)

Shortcut

How hard is it to install a water pipe in a wall?

Can't Post |
: Just bought a house with a great roof deck that has an electrical outlet and water supply so a washer can be used up there. One problem, the seller forgot to install a drain. Any economical suggestions? <p>===============================================
Hard to offer advice with so little data, but generally, I would look for a roof site as near to where the wasteline comes out of the house toward the sewer/septic system, and run a PVC pipe down the side of the building - digging up the line and tapping into it. This is the least-invasive way to get the water into the wasteline. One could also locate the washer directly above a sink in the house, but by cutting through the roof you risk future roof leaks, and the exposure of pipe in a bath or kitchen. Is there a sanitary tub anywhere in the house? Many homes are constructed so that a washing machine can be located adjacent to it, and the rubber discharge hose runs into the tub. In your case, you could run a long hose from the roof outside the building through the wall adjacent to the tub. All of the above is somewhat micky-mouse, but there you are. I hesitate to suggest it, but another option might be to create a deep, rock-filled pit at the side of the building and run the discharge from the washer into it, assuming the soil is permeable, it would act like a septic system. The problem here is build-up of vermin-attracting residue and odors. Since construction costs are relatively low in Mexico, you may be better off just building a laundry on grade and hooking into the home's wasteline. It'll save a lot of steps over time. Buena Suerte.

Abq

Feb 1, 2002, 2:25 PM

Post #3 of 3 (5042 views)

Shortcut

Thank you, Thank you!!

Can't Post |
You gave me a couple of workable options. I think I'll run the PVC pipe to the sewer from up-stairs as I have a small yard.<p> <p>: ===============================================
: Hard to offer advice with so little data, but generally, I would look for a roof site as near to where the wasteline comes out of the house toward the sewer/septic system, and run a PVC pipe down the side of the building - digging up the line and tapping into it. This is the least-invasive way to get the water into the wasteline. One could also locate the washer directly above a sink in the house, but by cutting through the roof you risk future roof leaks, and the exposure of pipe in a bath or kitchen. Is there a sanitary tub anywhere in the house? Many homes are constructed so that a washing machine can be located adjacent to it, and the rubber discharge hose runs into the tub. In your case, you could run a long hose from the roof outside the building through the wall adjacent to the tub. All of the above is somewhat micky-mouse, but there you are. I hesitate to suggest it, but another option might be to create a deep, rock-filled pit at the side of the building and run the discharge from the washer into it, assuming the soil is permeable, it would act like a septic system. The problem here is build-up of vermin-attracting residue and odors. Since construction costs are relatively low in Mexico, you may be better off just building a laundry on grade and hooking into the home's wasteline. It'll save a lot of steps over time. Buena Suerte.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4