Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

gpkgto

Jun 3, 2009, 10:53 AM

Post #1 of 15 (3674 views)

Shortcut

An old problem...

| Private Reply
I was just wondering if anyone had ever figured out a way to get neighbors to silence their barking dogs at night. Is it still forbidden to actually ask a Mexican to quiet the barking? I thought maybe some of those who had become more "gringoized" by time in the US may have become responsive to a polite request.

Ustlach

Jun 3, 2009, 12:31 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] An old problem...

| Private Reply
I was pondering this issue, or one very closely related to it last night as I lay awake at 2am listening to the loud blaring music coming from one of my neighbor's houses.

There is a Rottweiler that wanders the streets of my residencial/fraccionamiento (sp?) during the day, pooping and peeing every where he goes. He has not hit my little strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street yet. But when he does, I know where he lives, and I am going to scoop it up and go deposit it on their front door step.

Don't know what you can do about one that barks. I have some ideas, but I don't think they are legal nor are they socially acceptable. Of course, what is socially acceptable about a barking dog disturbing the peace?

johanson

Jun 3, 2009, 12:33 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3650 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There are devices that you can buy on line that emit a high pitched sound every time the dog barks. With time the dog will not like what happens when he barks and will stop. They cost between about $ 60 and $100 or they did a year ago

The frequency of this high pitched sound is higher than humans can hear, so it wont bother us humans

richmx2

Jun 3, 2009, 12:57 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] An old problem...

| Private Reply
Don't know what to do about the barking problem (when Yaqui and the neighbors get into too intense a conversation, she has to go to the back roof, where all she still finds the occasional wandering cat which is at least worth a yip). However, for the "pup-pee" and "poopie-dog" problem, fill old plastic pop bottles with water, and leave them around the perimeter of the grassy area. People swear it works, and I've heard a couple of pseudo-scientific explanations, but maybe it's just sympathetic magic. All I know is that folks who do this have un-pooped yards.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

sioux4noff

Jun 3, 2009, 4:10 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3609 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Is it still forbidden to actually ask a Mexican to quiet the barking?

Forbidden by whom? I wouldn't ask them, however, unless you had some suggestion of how to get the dog to stop barking. If it is an outside dog, the family probably doesn't want the dog to sleep indoors.
Would you ask a foreigner who was your neighbor to do something about their dog? If so, you should ask the Mexican neighbor, if not, then don't ask.

BajaGringo

Jun 4, 2009, 10:55 AM

Post #6 of 15 (3529 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There is no easy answer to that one. This is Mexico and for many here they just see it as part of life. Some say you really aren't Mexican if you don't have at least one roof dog. My suggestion would be to find the way to get on the neighbors good side via a pleasant demeanor and proving yourself to be a nice, friendly and helpful neighbor. After taking the time to build that relationship you might be able to find the way to gently bring up the subject without insulting or offending your neighbor. Much more likely to work when they are on your turf at a BBQ you invited them to. Always allow your neighbor to save face and set it up so they will look like the good guy in the end. Trying to act like an obnoxious neighbor to get their attention will not solve this problem and most likely make it much worse.

Or maybe just turn up the music or buy some ear plugs.

Like I have said many, many times before... Mexico is not for everyone.

YMMV

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

gpkgto

Jun 4, 2009, 2:48 PM

Post #7 of 15 (3504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] An old problem...

| Private Reply
I ordered one of these things immediately--I'll report back when I find out if it helps. Thanks for the tip!

I've lived in Mexico for a while (9 years full time--and now that I am a citizen here I don't intend to leave), so I have to figure out a way to deal with this. I've been lucky before with mostly quiet neighbors.

johanson

Jun 4, 2009, 3:20 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I bought one for a friend so that when he and his wife were away at work (Ajijic-Chapala area) their dog would not bark and bother other tenants in the apartment complex. It took a few weeks but finally solved the trick. I later ordered another one for myself. I live as far up the hill in Ajijic as houses go. Above me is woods and what must have been a wild dog that liked to bark in the middle of the night. By the time the unit arrived, the dog either moved on or gave up barking. But I'm keeping it just in case he comes back.

Please let us know what results you have.

gpkgto

Jun 4, 2009, 3:36 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3494 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The dogs are in my neighbor's front yard directly across from my house--at least 60-70 feet away. The dogs have the yard, so the people park on the street in front. Any ideas on how to place the mechanism? Do I need a really clear shot at the barkers? Any help would be appreciated.

Riverman

Jun 4, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3477 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bought the "Animal Away" and it didn't seem to have any effect on my new neighbors dog until I moved it to within sniffing distance.
I was hoping for smoke coming out of it's ears and the tail between its legs as it ran for home. Now it just lingers less.
Thinking of getting the "Scarecrow" next, motion detector combined with a sprinkler.

johanson

Jun 4, 2009, 6:27 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3459 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't know the distance answer. The unit and the instructions are in Mexico and I am in Seattle. But I thought that it would work at a distance of 30 or 60 feet, but I could be wrong.

Now don't laugh. I'm in Seattle where we are having a weather emergency. People are coming on TV and warning the viewers not to exercise too hard and to drink plenty of water. The ave high temp at this time of the is 68 F. It hit 90 F with a low humidity of maybe 30% and everyone is in shock :) We're a bunch of heat sissies up here.

Bethie

Jun 6, 2009, 10:28 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3371 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I know someone who used to sprinkled dried crushed red hot chili peppers around his tent in the mountains to keep bears away. Don't know if it would work for stray dogs.

La Isla

Jun 6, 2009, 11:44 AM

Post #13 of 15 (3356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] An old problem...

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I know someone who used to sprinkled dried crushed red hot chili peppers around his tent in the mountains to keep bears away. Don't know if it would work for stray dogs.

If the dogs are Mexican, the chile might attract them instead of repelling them! ( :

Gringal

Jun 6, 2009, 12:38 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] An old problem...

| Private Reply
Good point. These are Mexican dogs. Dogs get fed scraps. What more is there to say?

Scottm

Jun 7, 2009, 5:58 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3296 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Try WWW.ultimatebarkcontrol.com for what appears to be a nifty ultrasonic bark deterent. Claims to work up to
75 feet, and because it's battery operated, it can be hidden close to the offending mutt...in a birdhouse / tree /
stuck to the side of a building ???

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4