Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Jahn V

Aug 9, 2002, 3:54 AM

Post #1 of 8 (5979 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
Concerning Mexican auto insurance: What is the best? What is the cheapest? Purchase at border or ahead of time? Any other info or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Bob Story

Aug 9, 2002, 6:26 AM

Post #2 of 8 (5972 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
Be extremely careful, remember you get what you pay for! Read the fine print very carefully, some cheap policies have a clause that if you have an accident, your policy is cancelled automatically. It happened to us and then we learned the hard way to find ourselves an independent agent who takes excellent care of our Mexican Insurance needs.

scott

Aug 9, 2002, 11:07 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5978 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
: Be extremely careful, remember you get what you pay for! Read the fine print very carefully, some cheap policies have a clause that if you have an accident, your policy is cancelled automatically. It happened to us and then we learned the hard way to find ourselves an independent agent who takes excellent care of our Mexican Insurance needs.<p>
Try this auto insurance company, it was recommended to me although I haven't tried them myself but will be shortly:<p>http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/<p>

Joyce Kelly

Aug 9, 2002, 11:24 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5977 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
I agree with Scott. Sanborn's is an old time reliable insurance agency. We've used them maybe 30 times. They also give you worthwhile road logs for your trip, which, while not perfect, are very helpful.<p>You can order your insurance from them online at the URL Scott provided and get it mailed to you before you leave home--saving time at the border.<p>Joyce<p>
: : Be extremely careful, remember you get what you pay for! Read the fine print very carefully, some cheap policies have a clause that if you have an accident, your policy is cancelled automatically. It happened to us and then we learned the hard way to find ourselves an independent agent who takes excellent care of our Mexican Insurance needs.<p>:
: Try this auto insurance company, it was recommended to me although I haven't tried them myself but will be shortly:<p>: http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/<p>

bk

Aug 9, 2002, 3:10 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5973 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
 Are you buying insurance for a few dys or an annual policy? Sanborns is one of the most expensive. Try Lewis and Lewis ( do a search, they are on line.

Jim N.

Aug 9, 2002, 6:05 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5971 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
Mexico Mike mexicomike.com recommends International Insurance Group at:
http://web2web.mexicoinsuranceonline.com/<p>He says that Sanborns is way too pricey. But avoid the cheapees too.<p>Jim

Pike

Aug 9, 2002, 7:34 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5974 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
: Concerning Mexican auto insurance: What is the best? What is the cheapest? Purchase at border or ahead of time? Any other info or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.<p>
I've been using Lewis & Lewis for over 20 years. They are here to stay and their rates are reasonable.<p>

tom

Aug 11, 2002, 6:45 AM

Post #8 of 8 (6002 views)

Shortcut

Mexican auto insurance

Can't Post |
: Concerning Mexican auto insurance: What is the best? What is the cheapest? Purchase at border or ahead of time? Any other info or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.<p>After paying for Mexican for 35 years, using several companies including Sanborns & Lewis and Lewis, I got to test the validity of the insurance this last winter. I drive 15,000 to 25,000 miles per year in Mexico and Guatemala. On my way back from Guatemala this year about 100 miles below Puerto Vallarta on Hwy 200, the left rear wheel came off my 2002 truck and dropped me onto the pavement, literally destroying the left rear disc brake setup, axle, and wheel, and leaving a 1/16 scratch in the road for a 100 feet or so. The Mexican Highway Patrol determined there was damage (?) to the roadway, and advised I was under "arrest" even though I showed them my insurance policy. I was taken in their patrol car back to a substation about 4 miles away where they called the insurance company to verify the insurance in order to let me go on. After 2 hours the insurance company had not called back, and after feeding me and giving me a coke, they photocopied my insurance policy, registration, passport, and DL, telling me some insurance companies rarely called back. Took 8 hours and 2 wreckers to get to PV and the Chevrolet Garage. A adjusters assistant met me there (8PM Sat night), got the vehicle inside, and got me to a hotel. Met me at Chev monday morning. I signed papers, but he never advised whether there was coverage or not. Agreed to meet there the next day at 9 am - he didn't show. My insurance was through Lewis and Lewis, so I called them, and they advised they would get me assistance NOW. They called insurance company, and I had two adjustor supervisors call me within a hour. Long story short, it took 18 days to get parts and get it fixed. Chev dealer service manager was great. Lewis and Lewis called two more times to make sure all was well. All the parts finally arrived except a caliper cradle and correct wheel studs. Caliper cradle was usuable, but damaged and incorrect studs were located locally. Insurance company said they would give me a voucher to have work done in USA. Repair bill came to about $5,000
US with a $300 deductible. I paid my deductible and left. Had local GMC dealer do caliper cradle and studs in the states. Turned bill into Lewis and Lewis with voucher and in two weeks received that check ($500) plus reimbursement for my tow bills which they had to investigate (tow truck drivers do not give receipts). I cannot say enough GREAT things about Lewis and Lewis. They went way beyond the call of duty to solve every problem. The biggest problem is Mexican insurance companies and adjustors are a little slow to respond and don't always correspond. You may have to depend on the quality of your US representative as I did. Lewis and Lewis is very reasonably priced and service is the absolute best. I have had Sanborns as well, no claims experience, but it is very expensive and their logs were so many years out of date as to make them laughable. Oh yet, the tire company who admittedly forgot to torque the wheel nuts paid for my deductible, my stay in PV, etc.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4